BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone, on my 2007 X3 I get a periodic crackle through the radio even with it off, and I have a parasitic drain on my battery. I've replaced the radio amplifier (twice!) but it hasn't made a difference. Any thoughts on how to track down the problem? Thanks!

·
Anti-Hack
4,928 Posts
The issue may not be the radio at all, but you're just hearing interference from a draw through the speakers. Pull out the multimeter and start testing circuits to see where the draw is, load test the battery to check it's not bad, check alternator output, etc. Unhook the negative battery cable and, after setting the multimeter to amps, check for current between the hooked cable and the battery terminal it came off of. About 25mA is normal these days, even up to 60, but if you're up to 100mA or more, start pulling fuses until you see the multimeter reading close to 0mA. Or, measure the voltage drop across the fuses, comparing values of same amp fuses to find the offender (say, 5mV on a 10A fuse). The battery must be fully charged (12.6V+), and the vehicle "asleep." Tape door button so the interior lights turn off and wait 15-20 minutes. If the battery drained, though, it may be permanently shot anyway, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts