BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my x3 has a leaking in the back and it raining mode so now the starter wont go on and start my car i went to the truck and everything was soaked in water (through the leak) does anyone has a clue on what should i do? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

Omg thank you guys i will def check out the starter and buy a new one cause when i opened the back of the trunk, the batery was soaked in water probably by the leak...***128534; I hope the computer did not get damaged ***128584;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you im already checking this out :)
You are the best guys!!! Hope its just the starter that isnt working..... cause the ac, the radio the lights are ON in the first start just when i try to go on the car it makes nothing.....

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
don't spend till y'all know for sure

>maybe the battery voltage level was affected some with all the water ....there maybe enough charge in it to power the cluster and some other stuff but not enough to crank a starter....so ......dry everything out with a big fan .....and .....get it checked like in the video before you spend money on a starter etc

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Is the starter rebuildable in these cars? I know in the past other cars if your not depending on your car you can drop the starter off at these little shops and guys would rebuild the unit for a fraction of the cost a new one cost you and it would be good as new.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
>there 's lots you can do to rebuild your starter....it used to be the way to go .....but ....many folks just junk them without ever opening them up

>there are trillions of bosch etc starter out there ...so ....there's loads of spares etc ....best wishes

posts 17 and 19 to start ...then fan out

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851778
Interesting, yah its not something I would do. But I'm wondering is it not cheaper to drop of at a shop that repairs these as those can be found in every city and have them repair the starter then just buy new?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I just put a new (not rebuilt) Bosch starter in mine. It was weak when we bought the vehicle with about 109K mi., so I'll keep the old one in a box on the shelf in case I need to replace the starter again down the road. I'll rebuild the old one at that time most likely so it will be ready to swap in.

My e46 is on the original starter at 240K, and I recall the shuttle driver at the local dealer mentioning several years ago that he didn't think he'd ever had to deliver a starter for a BMW. Not the case anymore with the newer generation of engines.

AM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts