BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who works at at BMW dealership who said he can give me $4000 off the msrp of a 2010 bmw x5 vehicle that i can customize off the bmw website, is this a good deal or should i try better?

·
Registered
178 Posts
You need to find out how much $4000 off MSRP equates to in regards to dollars over invoice. NEVER go by dollars off MSRP!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
I have a friend who works at at BMW dealership who said he can give me $4000 off the msrp of a 2010 bmw x5 vehicle that i can customize off the bmw website, is this a good deal or should i try better?
Go by INVOICE price. Depending on which model you want (which is it?) there are other incentives.

This site has invoice prices posted- look at the stickies at the top of the forum.

$4000 off MSRP doesnt sound like a great price... post up what you are looking to buy and you'll get some feedback

A

·
Registered
178 Posts
By the way, $4k off MSRP is probably about invoice pricing. Not a bad deal but something that many can get without a hookup at the dealership.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
It's a good deal if you can keep the $4500 eco credit above $4k off MSRP.
Not sure what model the OP is looking at, so we don't know if the ECO applies....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok I went with the Costco auto buying program, but it just $1500 on top of invoice price. The dealer told me that MSRP has a 7% over markup price so even with a $1500 on top of invoice price, the deal is pretty expensive. For example for the X5 I like that is 2009, It is $61000 MSRP, the invoice price is $56730 and with costco pricing it is $58230. So should I continue shopping? Thanks

I was also told that if I get a diesal with the $4500 eco credit it can't be combined with any discount with the diesel vehicle. Is this true?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
ok I went with the Costco auto buying program, but it just $1500 on top of invoice price. The dealer told me that MSRP has a 7% over markup price so even with a $1500 on top of invoice price, the deal is pretty expensive. For example for the X5 I like that is 2009, It is $61000 MSRP, the invoice price is $56730 and with costco pricing it is $58230. So should I continue shopping? Thanks

I was also told that if I get a diesal with the $4500 eco credit it can't be combined with any discount with the diesel vehicle. Is this true?
1. No 2009 diesels any more... do you mean 2010?

2. Don't 'shop'...NEGOTIATE!

3. They are lying. The $4500 is a flat discount to you. You cannot combine it with special financing terms, but any discounts off MSRP you negotiate are independent of the eco credit.

GL

A

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
so you think the costco pricing is no good? i can do better
People have done better.

As low as $500 over invoice, AND getting the 4500 credit. Now, if you read the 8-10 threads here on "2010 X5 Diesel pricing" you will see how the market (and pricing) is evolving.

Unfortunately, the 4500 credit has ignited the diesel market, and dealers are getting stingy with their pricing- there are simply more buyers for this model.

Do your research here on what folks are paying, consider where you are (California can be real hit or miss) and try and negotiate. Personally, I'd say to the dealer in the costco program "I am probably going to buy from a dealer I found "Up North" unless you guys can come close. They are at $500 (pick a number, any number).... I can give you $800 to avoid the drive..... can we make a deal?"

They'll come back at 1200, you say $1k and we are done.

Something like that..... it works or it doesn't.... also, it helps to have another deal elsewhere "in your pocket" (ie a verbal agreement) so you can have more 'authority'...depends on your emotional make up and how well you bluff.

A

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
price

What do you think of this price:

New 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i
Black Sapphire w/black leather
premium pkg
rear climate pkg
technology pkg
comfort access
running boards
satellite radio
ipod adapter

$56175 + tax and license.

·
Registered
178 Posts

premium pkg
rear climate pkg
technology pkg
comfort access
running boards
satellite radio
ipod adapter

Are you checking out the invoice pricing from this website or Edmunds.com? If so, you'll find that $56175 is only $1300 under MSRP or about $3300 over invoice. THAT'S A HORRIBLE PRICE!!!!

You should be getting around $500-1500 over invoice (MACO/training not included). Invoice for the above car is only $52860. So, please use that as a gauge. I seriously think though that you should just take up your friend's offer of $4000 under MSRP. That's a decent price. And, from the looks of it, I don't think your haggling skills and understanding will get you a better price.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts

premium pkg
rear climate pkg
technology pkg
comfort access
running boards
satellite radio
ipod adapter

1. That car is ~~ $53,260 Invoice- including shipping and I estimated 400 for MACO. So they are $2900 over invoice. OMG

2. That is for a 2009 which is a year old. Buy a 2010 unless you are getting $4-5k MORE off. (ie under invoice)

3. A diesel is actually LESS than the 3.0!!! The $4500 diesel credit drops the invoice for the base from 47,105 to 42,605... compared to the 43,700 for the 3.0.

·
Registered
178 Posts
1. That car is ~~ $53,260 Invoice- including shipping and I estimated 400 for MACO. So they are $2900 over invoice. OMG

2. That is for a 2009 which is a year old. Buy a 2010 unless you are getting $4-5k MORE off. (ie under invoice)

3. A diesel is actually LESS than the 3.0!!! The $4500 diesel credit drops the invoice for the base from 47,105 to 42,605... compared to the 43,700 for the 3.0.
You're absolutely right. I totally missed the fact that the car is a 2009. HOLY CRAP!!!!

OP,
If you're looking at a 2009, you should be getting invoice. I wouldn't take anything more than invoice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to another dealer and was offered this:

Black Sapphire with black leather
premium pkg
rear climate pkg
technology
comfort access
running boards
satellite radio
ipod adapter

Invoice is $54545
Deal I am getting is $55545.
What do you guys think of this?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,709 Posts
Are you a troll?

You keep posting 'what do you think' questions and cite an old model... I get 52,855 for that car you spec'd, plus MACO in your area So well under 54545 you mention..WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THAT "INVOICE" NUMBER?????

You could get the 2010 Diesel for 51,940 plus dealer profit (figure $1500 profit and it is well below what you are being offered.)

I'm done with this...if you aren't jerking our chains, I guess dealers need to make money somehow....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went to another dealer and was offered this:

Black Sapphire with black leather
premium pkg
rear climate pkg
technology
comfort access
running boards
satellite radio
ipod adapter

Invoice is $54545
Deal I am getting is $55545.
What do you guys think of this?
Honey,
I told you that I think it's best to go with your friend's hookup of $4k under MSRP. That's far better than what you've been asking us with the other offers you've received.

Seriously, are you a troll? If not, just go with your friend!

·
Registered
64 Posts
sorry for the noob question...what is the difference between MSRP and invoice price??
me and my girlfriend is planning on buying an X5 in a couple of months...trying to learn as much as i can till were ready...

thanx

1 - 20 of 24 Posts