BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting this post because I have not seen this solution on the forum yet. Here is some back round, I sent my vehicle in mid February back to the dealership for the forth Check Engine Light, and third in 3 months.
The first time it went in the tech that checked it in saw the light but but by the time the mechanic pulled it back the next day the light had cleared itself and and no code was recorded.
The second time the computer was reset and the engine was no longer throwing the code. The third time the dealership did a complete reprogram of the car and once again the vehicle was no longer producing the CEL.
The forth time I was mildly fed up and because the vehicle had jus been at the dealership three weeks earlier. I also had a DSC stability failure I just called BMW assist and had the X5 towed to the dealership. This time after working with the assistant service manager the dealership did a better job at diagnosing the problem.

The defect found was the high pressure EGR valve. From the dealership per the BMW tech line they were instructed to check the low pressure EGR and the high pressure EGR. In the low pressure EGR no carbon build up was found, in the high pressure EGR carbon fouling was discovered and therefore the valve was replace. Of course typical BMW no EGR valves were in the states so part had to be shipped from Germany. Also classic BMW they were shipped inside a vehicle headed to the states. 10 days later the part cleared customs and it was shipped to the dealer. We have now had the vehicle back for three weeks and somethings I have noticed. MPG has improved by 10%. It is now back to what we were getting in the first 6 months of ownership. Currently we have 19,577 miles on the 2010 X5. My thoughts are if you notice a minor decrease in MPG and you start to get the CEL you may want to point your service advisor to have the EGR valves checked.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,268 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just got ours back last week after being in the shop for the third time in three weeks. The high pressure EGR valve had been replaced on a previous trip. This one replaced the low pressure one. We'll see if this stops the CEL's.

They've now replaced both EGR valves, a DEF delivery module, put in a higher amp battery, installed new software, fixed the faulty rear bumper clip issue, replaced a faulty parking sensor, topped up the initially low DEF fluid in the first three months, and replaced the faulty amp that went out 12 hours after I picked it up. Anything further and this vehicle will be going away. BMW reliability FTL. :thumbdwn:

·
UK (ex-Pat)
336 Posts
Just got ours back last week after being in the shop for the third time in three weeks. The high pressure EGR valve had been replaced on a previous trip. This one replaced the low pressure one. We'll see if this stops the CEL's.

They've now replaced both EGR valves, a DEF delivery module, put in a higher amp battery, installed new software, fixed the faulty rear bumper clip issue, replaced a faulty parking sensor, topped up the initially low DEF fluid in the first three months, and replaced the faulty amp that went out 12 hours after I picked it up. Anything further and this vehicle will be going away. BMW reliability FTL. :thumbdwn:
must have been built on a Friday !
sorry to hear of your bad experiences, but in all, I don't think you will find that any other car, in general that is, will have less issues. But I feel your pain, it's a bummer when it all comes your way.

Is this your first X5, would you buy (lease) another ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am stationed in Europe and have four friends with 35d's who live in Germany (US Spec Vehicles). All have the same problem. All four have had to take their vehicles back to the dealership on more than one occassion for a "Check Engine Light". I wonder how many others are having this problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
must have been built on a Friday !
:D

sorry to hear of your bad experiences, but in all, I don't think you will find that any other car, in general that is, will have less issues. But I feel your pain, it's a bummer when it all comes your way.
Thanks! :thumbup:

But I disagree strongly that "any" cars are going to be like this. Whether or not people here agree with CR, JD Power, True Delta, etc., the fact is these vehicles have higher numbers of reported issues than some other brands. That also means that there will be lots of vehicles with zero issues, but many with multiple problems.

I knew what I was getting into. ;)

Is this your first X5, would you buy (lease) another ?
No, this is not my first X5 but first new one. My father had a 325is, then got into the first year X5 (HUGE mistake) and then got an E53 that I bought from him as a favor. He moved into an X6 after that and I dumped the E53 very quickly for the E70. Not one of these vehicles has been what you could ever classify as reliable. Every one of them has had multiple issues. As BMW likes to hold onto, they aren't driveablity issues, but shouldn't be happening with the regularity they do.

Our ML had a few issues early on, but after they were fixed it has been remarkably solid, especially when held up against the X5.

Our previous RX and IS F have been virtually bulletproof with only a couple minor issues between the two of them.

We will not buy another X5. I might as well get a RR with this kind of reliability. :rofl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.