BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer told me that the cost of the my 2011 X5 35d diesel oil and filter change would cost $670 with tax, is it correct?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
O...M...G...

That is the most outrageous screwing I've ever heard of, and I've heard of a lot.

There has GOT to be a reason they thought they could bamboozle you...are you female? non-native? something....

You need an oil fitler and 8 quarts of oil- $90US or thereabouts. add a generous 1 hr labor at 100-140 per hout? $190-230.

Maybe they will toss in a DEF fill? (the 1 hr labor should cover that, a few $ for the DEF.)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Nonsense ARD! StoneD, thats actually a really competitive price at the BMW stealership. The cost of putting in magical diesel oil (imported from Germany) and magical oil filter (made with real unicorn hairs) is getting up there. Are they throwing in Xenon only headlight fluid as well :)

In seriousness, why would an oil change cost $670...? As ARD said the cost at the max end should be less than half that amount. I would look elsewhere. Possibly even do a DIY or look for a indy. You can get the oil from anywhere honestly, and the filter you can buy from the dealership or order one from anywhere else. Do the oil change, refill the DEF (you can again get this outside as well) and be on your merry way. After reset your MIL by entering the diagnostics menu and your set.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've been paying $120 for my in-between oil changes at the local BMW dealer here in GA.

Time for you to look for an alternative...

·
Registered
35 Posts
To back up Ard's #'s, two dealers in the Denver area quoted $200 for an out of warranty oil change which includes the DEF top off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My dealer told me that the cost of the my 2011 X5 35d diesel oil and filter change would cost $670 with tax, is it correct?
Probably includes gourmet coffee, gourmet cookies and WIFI, seriously, I have never seen such an exorbitant figure, would have to call out the service manager on that one !

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Unbelievable - Even with the fuel filter and DEF and Canadian tax, this is highway robbery.

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is so obviously not accurate, for whatever reason. OK, we generally don't love BMW service costs, but this should not enter the lore. None of us are served by bad information like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nonsense ARD! StoneD, thats actually a really competitive price at the BMW stealership. The cost of putting in magical diesel oil (imported from Germany) and magical oil filter (made with real unicorn hairs) is getting up there. Are they throwing in Xenon only headlight fluid as well :)

In seriousness, why would an oil change cost $670...? As ARD said the cost at the max end should be less than half that amount. I would look elsewhere. Possibly even do a DIY or look for a indy. You can get the oil from anywhere honestly, and the filter you can buy from the dealership or order one from anywhere else. Do the oil change, refill the DEF (you can again get this outside as well) and be on your merry way. After reset your MIL by entering the diagnostics menu and your set.

Good luck
Forgot to mention, said that price is inclusive of air filter, my mileage has been over 80,000 KM.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just had mine changed on 2010 X5D, $89 by BMW certified indy. Great service, in and out in 1hour. Local BMW dealer wanted $210 due to all the "other things" they need to do because it is a diesel. Added the DEF myself, total cost of 5 gallons of DEF was $24 at Fleet Farm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait a minute.

If your car is a 2011, shouldn't the oil change be free?

Are you doing an extra oil change or something?
My mileage has been over 80,000KM, but said the price would be inclusive of fuel filter and air filter ( I think it is engine air filter), said both filters were over $200 each, is that correct?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just had mine changed on 2010 X5D, $89 by BMW certified indy. Great service, in and out in 1hour. Local BMW dealer wanted $210 due to all the "other things" they need to do because it is a diesel. Added the DEF myself, total cost of 5 gallons of DEF was $24 at Fleet Farm.
That is extremely cheap. The reason why I say that is because getbmwparts.com charges $103 just on BMW engine oil and filter.

What brand of engine oil and oil filter do they use?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My mileage has been over 80,000KM, but said the price would be inclusive of fuel filter and air filter ( I think it is engine air filter), said both filters were over $200 each, is that correct?
Please tell me these filters are made of unicorn hairs and can grant me three wishes PLZ.
People who are economic about simple DIYs like this please listen to the following:
If your not keeping your oil for 15k miles between oil changes, and doing ultra conservative 5-6k changes any brand of filter will work fine. If your running slightly more mileage get urself a pack of MANN filters (they are the OEM Company for a lot of BMWs and other German brands) about 13.20 each+ shipping. Air filters same dealio get some MANN filters and call it a day. Last I check 1 AF & 1 OF should cost approximately 26+shipping from rockauto.

Then get some CASTROL SLX Professional from your local auto parts store. My autozone started carrying this. If not you try amazon or even a reputable stealer. FYI Amazons does some nice
Combo pricing where you can grab 6 qts, Mann OF, and a MANN AF FOR $63. Then either do it urself or take it to an Indy.

BTW OP u keep indicating mileage as a reason to justify high the exorbitant rate quote by the stealership. If its only an AF, OF, oil change and def fluid I'm pretty sure the rates you have been quoted are a blatant rip off

Reactions: ppointer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Perhaps part of the problem on prices from BMW is that we forget to compare to what we pay on an ordinary car. After all, the BMW is a car with a piston driven engine. My wife's Acura costs $35 for an oil change. Granted it is not a BMW but $35 is a lot less than $89 and a hell of a lot less than $200. Labor for the oil change was $30.29 which leaves $46.40 for parts and $3.30 for tax for a total of $79.99 on the invoice. So the $89 I quoted above was high. Sometimes we get caught up in the ora of owning a BMW and the prestige of the brand. However, and oil change is an oil change if the quality of the oil and filter is comparable.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oil varies immensely in quality, cost and, finally, value. To a large extent, with oil you get what you pay for.

The labor cost at my BMW dealer for an oil change is $50. A local garage will charge $25 for the same labor.

You have a choice on the labor cost. I do not think that you have much choice on the oil quality, where you do not want to skimp. Thus I am not impressed or persuaded by talk of $35 oil changes, which has to be a lower quality oil.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,512 Posts
This guy is starting to sound like a troll.

Nobody is this clueless.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts