BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Cockney Curmudgeon
1,335 Posts
I just paid $84 for a synthetic change on my daily driver GTi. Thought about doing it myself but the oil and filter was almost $50 at Walmart.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just noticed today that my Indy shop put an oil change reminder on my windshield that recommended changing oil in 5000 miles. Called and talked to one of the mechanics and asked him if this was correct. He said they recommend changing oil on diesels every 5000 miles rather than the 10k to 12k per BMW. At $79.99 per oil change for BMW oil and BMW filter it is a no brainer. Great guys and quality BMW, Audi, and Mini repair facility. The shop is spotless. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Oil varies immensely in quality, cost and, finally, value. To a large extent, with oil you get what you pay for.

The labor cost at my BMW dealer for an oil change is $50. A local garage will charge $25 for the same labor.

You have a choice on the labor cost. I do not think that you have much choice on the oil quality, where you do not want to skimp. Thus I am not impressed or persuaded by talk of $35 oil changes, which has to be a lower quality oil.
Oil is simple, the marketing is complex. Most people get confused or dazed by the marketing on a bottle of motor oil. Phrases like "Ultimate Durability", "Superior Performance", or any of the million terms the marketing folk work up can confuse anyone, and make them believe one type of oil is sooo much better than the other non hyped up brand.

At the end of the day, as long as the oil you purchase meets the minimum specs listed in the book (aka your manual) and you run a consistent conservative to ultra-conservative oil change schedule the oil you purchase for $1.20 vs $12.00 / quart does not matter.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree that if you adopt an "ultra conservative" schedule---3000 miles?----you can perhaps get by with a lower-quality oil with fewer detergents and additives. Simply put, cheaper oil will break down more quickly, not perform as well under heat or cold stress, and cease doing its job sooner. With an unnecessary 3000 mile cycle you increase your labor cost substantially over your ownership span compared to, say, a 7500 mile cycle. You wreck havoc with the environment with absolutely unnecessary oil changes. And, all that boring time sitting around in waiting rooms. Buy a better oil and change less; but not the silly 15k BMW has suggested until the recent model change, which is now a more reasonable 10k. I opt for good quality oil and 7500 mile cycles in the X5. In the race car, on the recommendation of my engine builder I buy a high quality race synthetic and change after every race weekend, which us usually about 300-400 miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is expensive. I just did a mid-service oil/filter change myself and it was a snap...very straightforward and simple. Turner Motorsports ( turnermotorsports.com ) sells the OE diesel oil for about $9.00 per quart vs dealer $17.00, and the filter for $19.00 or so. It takes 7.5 quarts with the filter. You will also need a 32 mm socket or wrench for the filter cap and a 17 mm, I think, for the drain plug. There is an access panel beneath the oil pan that is about 4" x 5" that pops open and exposes the drain plug. This is probably the easiest car I have ever changed the oil in, and it all costs about $100...and I have the peace of mind that it is done correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quick follow-up...I failed to mention that Turner Motorsports sell BMW part numbered products, that means that the oil and filter they sell are the same as the BMW shop. I am no expert, but I have done some reading about the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel and one of the biggest draw backs is that the sulfur that was removed was a valuable engine lubricant...my next thought is that that makes the oil I use that much more important.

·
X5///M & tuned X5d
111 Posts
Where in Canada are you from OP? Those sound like Alberta price you are being quoted. Our Provence is rich and the average income is pretty high so it gives all services the right to gouge us. A synthetic oil change in my GMC 1/2 ton was $125 at a quick lube...nothing fancy just change the oil and filter. $600 is obviously insane $200/air and oil filter is nuts. K&N filter for my diesel was only $75. My Indy shop did my last oil change (first one out of the free maintence) on my diesel for free so I am not sure of an exact cost but $200-250 would likely be ball park.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Quick follow-up...II am no expert, but I have done some reading about the ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel and one of the biggest draw backs is that the sulfur that was removed was a valuable engine lubricant...my next thought is that that makes the oil I use that much more important.
Your first thought is correct in that removing the sulfur does reduce the lubricity of the diesel fuel. Refiners are suppose to use additives to restore the lubricity lost through the sulfur removal process; however, it is quite plausible that they only bring it up to minimum acceptable levels, rather than level similar to the high-sulfur diesel, e.g., ULSD may indeed have lower lubricity than the previous high-sulfur diesel fuel, and I believe this has been documented in some testing.

However your second though is just a bit off-target. The parts of the engine affected by the lubricity of the diesel fuel are typically not affected by the engine oil supply, e.g., the diesel fuel pump, injectors, etc. Sulfur can also provide some lubricity to the valve seats, preventing valve seat recession (similar to the effect of removing lead from gasoline, but probably not to as great an extent). However none of these parts are affected by the engine oil, for the most part, and using higher quality engine oil will not compensate for the loss of diesel fuel lubricity.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
For that car it should be no more than $99. That's what my dealer charges. For V8s they charge $120.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
40 Posts
MP Diesel oil change

Dealer changed oil, oil filter, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter, added ad blue part of the MP...have 25K mile on my x5 diesel

Never before they changed all this stuff

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Dealer changed oil, oil filter, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter, added ad blue part of the MP...have 25K mile on my x5 diesel

Never before they changed all this stuff
I believe the fuel filter is suppose to be changed every third oil change. The filter is about $60 and, with the heater around it, probably more labor than for a typical fuel filter. If the flat rate time is 20 minutes, replacing the fuel filter alone is around $100, and i wouldn't be surprised if the flat rate is more than 20 minutes.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts
CAD 627 = US$ 608

Whatever happened to OP?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oil change service for 670??? No good!!!! I have 2013 x5 premium sav & the dealer I bought my car have oil change program w/ new oil filter for 599 = 2/yr for as long as I own my car not including warranty coverage which is annual up to 4yrs..... 670 it's a rip offs... But I check bought the oil & oil filter if not @ the shop or @ home after my service & so far new oil & oil filter!!:):):)

·
Registered
2 Posts
2015 update

May 2015:

NAPA USA
Silver Oil Filter Kit - $14.50
Gold Air Filter - $29.35
Mobil Silver 5w 30 - 8 quarts - $74.32

Total time to change oil - one hour including engine wash down, reset codes, top off wash fluid, anti-freeze and R134a in air conditioner for the summer. (All these in stock - about $35)

So round it off - $155 and an hour of my time.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Big charge with smile of gently ripoff.
200.00$ is acceptable if giving synthetic oil
Those charges 89.00$ sounds skier too - what kind of oil giving?
Air Filter & Oil filter are very cheap if you know where to buy
Same filters or even better qualities for couple of $$$ you can get from www.rockauto.com
Those tiffs mechanics seating on all kind of forums and study how owners of BMW understand cars and means maintenance and be logical or independent.
Mercedes owner are very different never can go with Joe mechanics paying fortune for basic things.
All post are about warranty - extended service and mechanics from driveway 2500.00$
To bring panics preparing new clients to pay huge bills for simple job.
Incredible scam.
Those cheap oil change for new cars or those old one?
All newer cars typical with turbo chargers needs good qualities synthetic engine oils.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The cheapest online dealer priced out at $111.50 + $15 shipping for:

8 bottles of oil ($7.28 each)
Oil filter $12.61
air filter $37.49
drain plug $2.72
plug gasket $0.44

$74 if you don't need the air filter change.

If you only need oil, the cheapest I found was $6.62 per bottle +$10 flat rate shipping

If you only need a combo of oil and oil filter, the cheapest dealer comes out to $69.94 + $10 flat rate shipping

Take these parts to an indy shop, they may charge you between $50-$120 for labor, and you'll average out to a total cost of $120-$150 total. Heck you probably can take it to a non-bmw shop like Walmart or some other shop and "supervise" their grease monkey, and do it for $35 labor.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes sure
What type of that engine oil? who made that oil
Filters can get cheaper
Time to time when I have nothing to do I searching for all kind things
When I see good price on Filters I order them no one only minimum 5
Can last to next oil or air filter replacement
Even from pep boys you can get very good or same oil filters and Air filters

Those Super dealers or service centers need to report to BMW head office
Those guys bringing very bad image to BMW

I am with Mercedes 40 years I cant imagine some kind ripoff is a crime
How come American heroes alluding them selves to be ripped well?
I see so many big mouth on this forum and simple Joe riping them with smile.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts