BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts
Airflow through a filter drops as the filter gets 'loaded' with fine particles.

The best way to keep the engine breathing is to just change airfilters with every oil change.... its like having a "performance" air filter without the damage to the engine!

;)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Filters are very important
Air filter qualities and how clean is = main life of the engine
When tiny particles getting to the engine become working like a send paper.
Depend where we live - air filter inspection recommended or replacement very early cycles.
Manufacture giving just basic information when replace air filter with ideas we live in very pure & clean environment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ECS Tuning has an OEM oil change kit like Flying Ace mentioned above. I believe it was $90.
Also their thermostats are cheapest but turner was way cheaper for air filters.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I cant think even what is going on.
All BMW owners need sign petition to BMW head office to set flat rates for oil maintenance
Owners are terrorize by sky high charges like 600.00$ for lubrication service.
This is very bad image to BMW need respond proper way.

For independent Joe garage give worming & same time for factory service like a dealers
Other way take license away to ripoff dealers.
In Canada early 1990 Ontario Toronto many BMW dealers lots license do ripoff practice
Need setup List of Good and honest service center where ripoff not existing.

This is very important

Free market or competition not means ripoffs are legal.

Stand up guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paid 256.07 Today 5/28/15 in US

$253 in Vancouver BMW dealership including tax and DEF fill up for my X5d...Indy shop was actually $3 more....
Your price is very close to what I paid this morning in Atlanta this morning. They used 8 qts of synthetic oil and 2 bottles of DEF and 1 bottle of washer fluid. They charged 39.95 to reset the CBS. It was about $256 USD incl tax.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Your price is very close to what I paid this morning in Atlanta this morning. They used 8 qts of synthetic oil and 2 bottles of DEF and 1 bottle of washer fluid. They charged 39.95 to reset the CBS. It was about $256 USD incl tax.
wow, IMO, too expensive, but I suppose if you don't have time and NEED a loaner, there's no other option. Also, I noticed you didn't mention they changed the engine air filter. I recall reading the manual that engine air filter was every other oil change (?) correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's too infrequent.

Your breakdown are as follows vs a DIY/Indy shop from the cheapest dealer online source:

8 bottles of oil + oil filter: $69.94 + $10 shipping = $80
2x 0.5 gallon DEF: 2x $13.50 + $10 shipping = $37
wiper fluid: $2 walmart = $2

Total = $119

$256 x 0.9 = $230 approx. pre-tax price minus $119 = $111 for dealer labor and loaner car Did you grab a few extra muffins/bagels/coffee too? hehe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No air filter or loaner but they back all of their work. My advisor did my brakes on both of my BMWs just b4 my warranty ran out. I will not go to an Indy unless I keep my cars close to salvage value. If you are worried about saving buck here and there you probably shouldnt buy a BMW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
wow, IMO, too expensive, but I suppose if you don't have time and NEED a loaner, there's no other option. Also, I noticed you didn't mention they changed the engine air filter. I recall reading the manual that engine air filter was every other oil change (?) correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's too infrequent.

Your breakdown are as follows vs a DIY/Indy shop from the cheapest dealer online source:

8 bottles of oil + oil filter: $69.94 + $10 shipping = $80
2x 0.5 gallon DEF: 2x $13.50 + $10 shipping = $37
wiper fluid: $2 walmart = $2

Total = $119

$256 x 0.9 = $230 approx. pre-tax price minus $119 = $111 for dealer labor and loaner car Did you grab a few extra muffins/bagels/coffee too? hehe.
No air filter or loaner but they back all of their work. My advisor did my brakes on both of my BMWs just b4 my warranty ran out. I will not go to an Indy unless I keep my cars close to salvage value. If you are worried about saving buck here and there you probably shouldnt buy a BMW.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You sounds like loyal brother to dealer service charges
What you know about BMW let start from this point?
Ripoff with Golden smile

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts
If you are worried about saving buck here and there you probably shouldnt buy a BMW.
Funny, it actually saves me TIME to do this stuff myself. I am 30-40 minutes each way to the dealer. If is far FASTER to do oil, def, filters, etc in my garage. (Never mind that I enjoy it) It would be 2-3 hours out of my life to have them do services. Just a waste of time.

I am always amused when people try to use a class ('save a buck') argument to support their decisions....or denigrate the decision of another.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If you are worried about saving buck here and there you probably shouldnt buy a BMW.
well that's just a pretty snobbish comment...what about folks like me who doesn't like to piss away money on stuff we can do ourselves? At what point do I draw the line? Should I hire a chauffeur to drive my X5 for me?

Does money grow on trees in your backyard? If so, I need a grant from you to help me maintain my car at the dealership, I do like their muffins they provide in the morning, and once they gave me a E93 328i as a loaner.

Btw, me "saving a buck here and there", is what will allow me to pay for both my kid's college educations today, before they're even born, and still stash enough for retirement AND own a house in zip 94122 AND have a X5 AND a M3...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Some peoples not know means to be practical
Dealer job and free coffee for 300$ satisfied them

Poor man fantasy only - let others work for him.

Today cars are better
Not need over-hole engines every couple of months
Mechanics geniuses, charge more from lawyers or doctors.
Really not mechanics ripping-off only owners of garage or dealers.
Mechanics poor 7$ per hour plus hooker wife or girlfriend.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have less faith with dealer than I have with independent. Dealer has less to lose when they messed up. Where as the independent are very sensitive to reviews and recommendation. I like that in leverage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Engine Oil - Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 - 5W-30 Synthetic (1 Liter) Shipped $9.44 1 $9.44
Engine Oil - Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 - 5W-30 Synthetic (5 Liter) Shipped $44.54 1 $44.54
Oil Filter Kit Shipped $16.88 1 $16.88
Air Filter Shipped $17.49 1 $17.49
Cabin Air Filter Set for Fresh Air - Activated Charcoal Shipped $30.38 1 $30.38
Total: $118.73

I did have couple liters of oil saved from the previous oil change so if I needed the full amount of oil the total will come up by $20.

I don't drain the oil from the oil plug. Using the Metyvac liquid evacuator. No mess with the dirty pans. Very simple and convenient.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Engine Oil - Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 - 5W-30 Synthetic (1 Liter) Shipped $9.44 1 $9.44
Engine Oil - Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 - 5W-30 Synthetic (5 Liter) Shipped $44.54 1 $44.54
Oil Filter Kit Shipped $16.88 1 $16.88
Air Filter Shipped $17.49 1 $17.49
Cabin Air Filter Set for Fresh Air - Activated Charcoal Shipped $30.38 1 $30.38
Total: $118.73

I did have couple liters of oil saved from the previous oil change so if I needed the full amount of oil the total will come up by $20.

I don't drain the oil from the oil plug. Using the Metyvac liquid evacuator. No mess with the dirty pans. Very simple and convenient.
Super job
I wish to see more guys do own maintenance & become less depended from Bad Dealers or mechanics.
You know many things & become very practical.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well that's just a pretty snobbish comment...what about folks like me who doesn't like to piss away money on stuff we can do ourselves? At what point do I draw the line? Should I hire a chauffeur to drive my X5 for me?

Does money grow on trees in your backyard? If so, I need a grant from you to help me maintain my car at the dealership, I do like their muffins they provide in the morning, and once they gave me a E93 328i as a loaner.

Btw, me "saving a buck here and there", is what will allow me to pay for both my kid's college educations today, before they're even born, and still stash enough for retirement AND own a house in zip 94122 AND have a X5 AND a M3...
My comment may seem snobbish to you, but your original response seemed insulting to me. You followed it up with an even more ridiculous and immature response. "Where do I draw the line?" I can help you answer those questions but I am assuming you have some basic human reasoning capabilities. I am glad you are saving money to put your kids to college, but I have no interest in knowing what zipcode your house is in. The fact is we both perceive value differently. I may not be as mechanically inclined as you or most ppl in this forum. I also prefer to spend time do other things that have a higher opp cost to me.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,522 Posts
If I may....

When I made my comment, I clearly saw this was going to go the way it has. DIYers intimidate those that cant or would rather pay...then they try to claim some superiority by poining out they dont care about money; 'pay to play', etc.

Why fall into those tired arguments?

There are a lot of reasons people DIY. There are a lot of reasons people DONT DIY.

My opinion: As a contributor we can say- here is what is involved; here is how to DIY; here are the costs involved; here is what dealers charge or an idny or the hours invloved....even offer support for a task.....but after that, in terms of why one choses one over the other, you are making a mistake when you try to characterize the other 'sides' motivations for the choices they make.

And Im as guilty as anyone over the years....

You know, someone once shared with me the deep seated feelings of inadequacy he had over his challenge with mechanical things. His dad was a DIYer...But he wasnt. Hanging a shelf for his wife caused anxiety. So I can see how the "how many digital torque wrenches do you own" crowd can be intimidating.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My philosophy is why pay for something you can do yourself and have the time to do
If any one of those two constraints is not me, to the shop it goes.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,952 Posts
LOL Remember, don't fix if not broken.

My career was in testing small nuclear power plants. I retired twenty years ago and have more time than good cents. If I'm not pretty confident of each step and its consequences then I probably won't. I have great respect for those that I choose as guru.

I have had my new CPO X5 for seven weeks and have taken off the top cover of the engine and removed the rear seat cushion. I tugged on the dip stick and it didn't pull with what I thought reasonable force, so I'll wait.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts