BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I've just got my 4th check engine light in a year. 1st one had something to do with the intercooler and they had it for 2 weeks fixing it. 2nd one was a software update of some kind. 3rd one air temp sensor failure, not sure about this one yet but it's not giving me a lot of confidence in BMW products. Anyone else have 35d's with all these problems? I also have some electrical problem with the rear license plate light - on sometimes, off other times...

This is the most problematic car I've ever owned - do I just have a dog or is everyone else experiencing this too?
Your first THREE visits sound like they were all for the same issue actually!

They had some problems with intercooler air intake plausibility faults...they muddled about for a while, finally figuring out a recall to fix it- so they recoded the DDE and replaced the temp sensor.

Interesting you cite three CELs, with separate visits for each- but no recall visit? Hmmm

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
1. Why change oxygen sensors FIVE times in THREE years? Does not make sense.

2. early X5s are known to have tranny issues....

3. Hope you have better luck with your diesel. Mine had some of the issues the OP had. BUT.... I was meticulous in managing the service process (admittedly you should not have to) and pressed them to deal with the issue compeltely and thoroughly- in fact I suspect my car and the PUMA case was part of the 'evidence' that was used to decide on the subsequent recall/correction they had to do.

Enjoy

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
The 'issue' for me is how one has FOUR oxygen sensors in 3 years and then bring it back and get told "Oxygen sensor again"...and swallow that.

Look in an ideal world you pay your money and get concierge service... but when that doesn't happen do you just change hotels hoping to find better? OR do you demand the service you've paid for?

Look, it is just a car- just money- so no big deal....but do people have the same sort of response when they get bad medical advice? Or legal advice?

One last thought-You let them drive the car to and fro? You do understand that if there is an accident it is YOUR insurance that is on the hook, right?

A

PS ard, not ARD. They are not initials either. ;)

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I've just read the latest Consumer Reports review on the 35d. For the 2011 prediction, it rates is as "Much worse than average. Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 68% below average"

I never expect BMW to be the most reliable vehicles out there, but 68% below average? The 3 items ranked at much worse than average are "fuel system, body hardware, audio system." Only time will tell if these predictions are accurate, but has anyone had fuel system issues yet?
What does "68% below average mean"???????? Is average one visit every 5 years and 68% below is 1.68 vists per 5 years??

I think it all depends on how the owner is 'wired' about car issues, and how they manage their dealer and how good the dealer is.... some people are ready to commit suicide if the car has two issues in the first week. Disappointing, yes- but let them fix it and move on.

Having said that, I think BMW has an absolute disaster on their hands with the BS navigation/entertainment system... I expect wholesale changes to that software over time.

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
:dunno: Lee, you completely misread my post. I'm asking if anyone has experienced any fuel system issues in reference to the CR article. I've owned 3 BMWs' and have not seen a review like this from CR (however subjective they may be). I do have a complaint about ass*** like you that make no contributions to the forum with senseless comments.
1. I don't know what "fuel system issues" the geniuses at CR are referencing.... The reports of 'fuel system issues' in the DIESEL are very low, just going from my memory here. Intake air temp faults? Yes, been there, recalled that. Fuel system? No, unless funky DEF (an exhaust fluid additive) is 'fuel system' at CR.

2. Don't pull out the ******* comments so quickly- I think you actually misread his post. Why don't you guys first figure out if one or the other is being an ******* before the names, no?

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
You are correct in noting that the 530 is a "German make." The X5 is an American make which probably explains the better reliability.
p
The issues with the diesel seem to have been software/design/component issues...not that pesky "sloppy american assembly" which you allude to.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Good to hear. Lets hope they got it right!

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Update - just fixed the charge air sensor for the 5th time - had enough...contacted BMWNA for the lemon law buy back. We'll see how that goes. So far no call back in a week. You'd think they could do some root cause evaluation and stop whatever it is that's causing this after a few years. I've had mine for 2 years now so every 5-6 months I need to get the intercooler sludge cleaned out and sensors replaced (sometimes the EGR, always the air temp sensor).
I posted my lemon story. http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...-should-i-lemon-report-5uxff0c55alj98900.html

BMW is trained to deal with verbal complaints and just hold you off...if you have reached the statutory requirements for a lemon in WA, document it and send them a certified letter- they will respond. One thing that DOES take some time is that they need to get your local dealer to say "yes, it is a lemon"..if the dealer is being difficult- (ie they are partially to blame, or they are just being dicks) it may be more of a challenge. Have they already asked that you document your issues and why it is a lemon?

GL

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Funny how that works....

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Update on my lemon X5d: Well so after a month of nothing...the dealer offers me a "trade assist" that would cost me 6K to get into a new 2012 X5d.:( Considering they've fixed the same thing 5 times in 2 years, seems I'm lemon law qualified I was expecting something a little better - last thing I want to do is spend more money to get out of this problem. Seems they don't use the state way of calculating use - they quadrupled the mileage from my first occurrence to drastically reduce my trade value - they're using 30 days in the shop mileage vs. first occurrence - this common? They are not offering a buy back.

So is this typical for BMW in these deals - offer you something crummy...then what?

They also threatened me if I mentioned arbitration they'd shut the door and send me to customer service to deal with - whatever that means.

Not impressed with BMW customer service with these lemon deals at this point...makes we want out of the brand more than ever. :thumbdwn:

Any advice to speed this along to a favorable resolution would be appreciated.
You don't recognize the basic 'disconnect' between the dealer/sales side and the lemon process....

This is being done by the DEALER... perhaps with help from BMW field management...their job is to bully and intimidate you into going away and not lemoning the car. F- them

Just do a formal lemon buyback request cite the federal and state laws under which you are asserting your rights. Tell them them the mileage calc, the price you paid and the dollar amount you expect. Send a certified, return receipt letter to BMW Consumer Affairs (PM me for their fax number).... Point out that the failure of the dealer and BMW regional management to handle this in a fair manner has resulted in yet another lemon titled BMW. Point out that you have not retained counsel, but can do so if necessary- and that BMW will wind up paying your legal costs on top of the buyback amount.

Finally do not expect this to be fast nor friendly...it is adversarial- you are trying to 'unbecome' a customer. Know that you will prevail, press your case, do not expect help. TELL them what you want, TELL them what they owe you, TELL them why you are right. Don't ask. Every step of the way, TELL them...

Good luck

A

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I posted before and report that I continue to have constant problems with my 2009 X535D. Very unreliable & disappointing.
And you havent been able to lemon it? Or do you just suffer and complain but take no actions?

I wonder how resident strange made out...

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
The failures were spaced just far enough apart over a period just long enough to avoid the lemon law. Just sharing my experience so others can be informed.
Really.

Did you get a legal opinion?

CT kind of sucks...so you did not get to 30 days before two years????

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CT_law.html

Anyway, sorry to hear. I too shared my lemon experience so others could learn...and also bought a 2012 which has been perfect..also so others can learn. Had I decided the diesel x5 was a loser initially I'd have lost out on a great car.

A

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.