BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
i do not have a check engine light on but here is the problem since the first 1000 miles.

10-15 seconds after i stop the engine, it starts whinning and making these weird noises.
I never bothered to take it back to dealer to address the issue. Waiting for my service time to come up so they can address the issue.

The sound is like, a little fan constantly running somewhere inside a closed area right above the exhaust manifold or in the area where catalytic converter is located(if the diesel has one).

Anyone out there having a issue or had an issue with something like that? My suspicion is vacuum lines.

I had asked the dealer without a visit over the phone and they said not to worry about it if the check engine light is not on.

The fascinating thing is $60+K car, and still having issues.

my car is a 2011 35D

· Registered
200 Posts
we have 2 identical X5 diesels, One does the fan /whining noise and the other one is pretty much like quiet exception of normal expected sounds.
I can understand the regular electronic based sounds, cooling down , shutting down some systems and etc.. (that may include the diesel DEF and all that.

I am talking about like a fan sound coming from passenger side engine compartment - around right under the rear edge of the engine cover towards to windshield (not the cooling fan in front of the radiator).

it starts after you shut off the engine and slowly disappears in about 3 or 4 minutes.

FYI, this is not the noise coming from the fuel pump before and after you start and stop the engine. Normally after you stop the engine, there is a consistent static noise which I think coming from the fuel line or something related to that and lasts about 30 -45 seconds. That is normal and not the issue i am addressing here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.