BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this in a BMW Warranty Inquiry on a X5 35d I was looking at:

the SCR Active Tank (Reservoir) limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship has been extended to 10 year/120,000 mile as determined from
the original in-service date. This coverage is subject to the same vehicle eligibility requirements, limitations, and exclusions that apply to the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warrant for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks. Please see Sl B01 23 16.

I don't have a copy of the SIB.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I just saw this in a BMW Warranty Inquiry on a X5 35d I was looking at:

the SCR Active Tank (Reservoir) limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship has been extended to 10 year/120,000 mile as determined from
the original in-service date. This coverage is subject to the same vehicle eligibility requirements, limitations, and exclusions that apply to the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warrant for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks. Please see Sl B01 23 16.

I don't have a copy of the SIB.
I am going to pick up my X5 today, since apparently they are finally done with EGR. I will ask about this!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine also included one for the Supply Module. Couldn't fine the SIB for it either.

BMW NA has extended the limited warranty for the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) Supply Module on this vehicle to 10 years/120,000 miles as determined from the original in-service date. The component-specific limited warranty is subject to all the applicable vehicle and coverage eligibility requirements, exclusions and limitations that apply to the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks. Please see SI B01 02 16.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
Do any of you happen to know if it applies to 335d cars, too? I would love it if they do as I just got a 4bac level sensor fault.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
woot woot!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
But there's nothing proactive here, right? Strictly covered if there's an issue within the 120k/10yr?
your day will come, trust me.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
One more reason not to consider a 35d?
I knew about this issue but bought 35d. Had Active tank replaced under warranty at 45K. Sensor failure. We found out that sensor from Touareg fits, exact same part with same part number for $227. Do that once you are out of warranty. Until then, leave it to BMW.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Do any of you happen to know if it applies to 335d cars, too? I would love it if they do as I just got a 4bac level sensor fault.
I got this one the other day. I added a .5 gallon to the active tank and it went away. I'm assuming it will come back shortly and I'll take it into the dealer since it is still under CPO.

I guess I can't complain much as this is the first time the CEL has come on in 95k miles and has been trouble free.

Did you get any other codes? I only had the typical 4B1C that seems to pop up by default with these types of faults.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I got this one the other day. I added a .5 gallon to the active tank and it went away. I'm assuming it will come back shortly and I'll take it into the dealer since it is still under CPO.

I guess I can't complain much as this is the first time the CEL has come on in 95k miles and has been trouble free.

Did you get any other codes? I only had the typical 4B1C that seems to pop up by default with these types of faults.
If you just open a tank and release a bit of pressure CEL will go away.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,354 Posts
An SCR/DEF tank under positive or negative pressure indicates a clogged service filter and imminent problems as the instrumented surface penetrations flex and fatigue and fail.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
An SCR/DEF tank under positive or negative pressure indicates a clogged service filter and imminent problems as the instrumented surface penetrations flex and fatigue and fail.
I am talking about regular "hissing" sound that is ALWAYS there when you open tank.
We talked about this before.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am talking about regular "hissing" sound that is ALWAYS there when you open tank.
We talked about this before.
I didn't hear anything, but I wasn't really listening for it either.

This is the first round of me following BMW SIB recomended DEF tank filling process that was posted here. Previously I'd just been filling the passive tank as part of the oil change process.

It has been roughly 15,000 miles (9 months) since I've filled that tank and have not yet received the 1000 mile fill warning. I'm assuming that I'm close to getting it. I'm also assuming that this is the fist time that the system has been run so low.

All of the previous owner's records indicate that he too filled it when the oil was changed.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
I didn't hear anything, but I wasn't really listening for it either.

This is the first round of me following BMW SIB recomended DEF tank filling process that was posted here. Previously I'd just been filling the passive tank as part of the oil change process.

It has been roughly 15,000 miles (9 months) since I've filled that tank and have not yet received the 1000 mile fill warning. I'm assuming that I'm close to getting it. I'm also assuming that this is the fist time that the system has been run so low.

All of the previous owner's records indicate that he too filled it when the oil was changed.
Depends how much you drive on HWY. If you drive a lot, your DEF fill will last longer.
When I got CEL for that tank, every time I would open a tank CEL would go away for some time. I do same thing, just refill passive tank every 5K when I do oil change.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,354 Posts

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
One more reason not to consider a 35d?
Nope. Every car is going to have its weak points and this one is rather well documented, does not require a lot of labor, BMW just extended coverage, and aftermarket / alternate options are coming online to soften the part cost blow past warranty period.

I'd advise you spend some time behind the wheel and listen to engine noise and get a feel for the powertrain as it is much different than the V8... I think the diesel is perfect match for the X5 but it is not whisper quiet. At the risk of repeating myself, I still love my d after driving it for 3.5 years and am still committed to several more years of ownership.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts