BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed for a bit now that sometimes when I drive it for a bit and then shut it off, go do whatever it is I have to do and come back and start the SUV sometimes it starts real quick and sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds of cranking. Oddly enough it will do the same thing " sometimes ) when its cold too. Also when it does turn over sometimes it catches but then slowing brings up the rev, not sure if I can explaining this well enough :) Almost like it barely starts and then kicks in. anyone have any ideas? should also mention its a 2014 x5 35i with 102,000 kms

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
@ebber.......IMO, there are several items that could contribute to this. Hard to say.
1. What maintenance has been done? (Filters, plugs, etc.)
2. @ 60k ish miles, has dealer maintained it?
3. Oil changes at 6000 miles or BMWs suggestive miles?
4. Any fuel system cleaners added to gas?
5. Any codes?

This information might be helpful for the forum guys to make suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Yes it has been dealer maintained, no lights, codes etc. Oil changed at regular intervals. it has been doing this for a while, oddly enough one day it was cold out and only seen exhaust coming out one side of the tips. I put my hand over both exhaust tips and really only felt pressure on one side, is that normal?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hi,

Yes it has been dealer maintained, no lights, codes etc. Oil changed at regular intervals. it has been doing this for a while, oddly enough one day it was cold out and only seen exhaust coming out one side of the tips. I put my hand over both exhaust tips and really only felt pressure on one side, is that normal?
Yes, exhaust out one tail pipe at idle (drivers side) is normal. This is controlled by the ECU & exhaust flap until you reach a higher speed or RPM's, It can be defeated, if you want to do it, but this doesn't have anything to do with your condition/issue.
Some of us believe doing the BMW oil change intervals is too long before oil changes; I prefer about every 6000 miles rather than their 15000 mile intervals.
FYI, your car with the 3.5l N55 six cylinder engine, is "GDI" (gasoline direct inject). This can lead to what you are describing as as an issue, due to gas not washing the intake valve.(build up of carbon) The below video is a good educational tool to understand it better.

Watch this video.

The first & simplest thing that I would suggest, is to buy a large 20 oz. bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner & add to fuel tank at fill up.
Chevron Techron See if this help the issue. If not, then on to other steps.
When I bought our '15 X5 as a CPO car, Century BMW did several maintenance items before offering the car for sale; i.e. changed spark plugs, changed air filter & add a fuel injection cleaner treatment plus other typical items that BMW requires for it to meet CPO.
So, my question to you is; has YOUR dealer changed spark plugs & air filter at your mileage? Both of these can also contribute to your "slow start" issue.

I hope this helps you understand some of the things that the newer technology engines & controls wear & need to be addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I ordered some Cheveron Cleaner and will give that a try first, when I bought my CPO 2.5 years ago it had 40,000 kms it so I doubt that the plugs were changed at that point. I have brought it to the dealer for its regular maintenance checks so I will call them tomorrow to get a history report to see if they were changed at any of the free " 4 year 80,000 " services. do you know when BMW recommends to change the plugs?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks, I ordered some Cheveron Cleaner and will give that a try first, when I bought my CPO 2.5 years ago it had 40,000 kms it so I doubt that the plugs were changed at that point. I have brought it to the dealer for its regular maintenance checks so I will call them tomorrow to get a history report to see if they were changed at any of the free " 4 year 80,000 " services. do you know when BMW recommends to change the plugs?
@ebber...maybe some one one here can chime in with the official mileage intravels, as I do not know what BMW recommends on the newer F15's. Typically, around 60k miles is a starting point. Some say 100k.

any others know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts