Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the sunroof was left open 3 inches for two rainy days. There was an inch of water in the cup holders in the center console. I dried the water as best I could. I tried to start it but the battery was dead. I boosted it off and started blasting heat into the floorboards. But now my keyless entry isn't working, the park indicator light on the shifter stays on and sometimes the "key is still in the ignition" indicator comes on after you remove the key. I can clear that fault by turning the ignition on and off again. Plus the battery isn't holding a charge when left installed.

Everything points to water still somewhere causing these issues. If anyone knows where to look please let me know. I guess I'll have to remove the center console and the passenger carpeting to see where there might be a circuit that's vampiring current.

thanks in advance.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
Frequent culprits are the left and right rear electronics wells. Pulled the finished covers AND the plastic tub-trays and see the modules and body metal. ANY evidence of moisture suggests internal corrosion in the modules.

But these are X5 problems posted in a 5er subforum.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,449 Posts
The best way to keep the interior dry and dehumidified is to use the IHKA the way it was designed. ALWAYS in AUTO with compressor ON (snowflake icon button pushed on).

I used a portable 1000 cubic-foot rated dehumidifier in my VW Jetta TDI That NEVER got warm, for the dehumidification and warming by the waste heat. The X5 in the same environmental conditions is always dry.

The X5 exhaust vents are in the body panels behind these same covers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts