BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new to us, 2005 e53 n62 X5, 100k mi. Was running fine, but felt sluggish. Added fuel injector cleaner. Changed air filter. Changed spark plugs on drivers side, started up and ran fine. Changed spark plugs on passenger side, and ran rough. Used NGK platinum. Tried to ascertain which coil was bad, multiple starts and stops, decided to change all coils. Coils (Bosch 00124) arrived next day, replaced all and car won't start.(did not drive during any part of this) clearly drained battery, and likely flooded engine from previous day's troubleshooting of coils. (Sparks were soaked with fuel) Pulled fuse 47 and tried jump starting with gas pedal half depressed to clear flood and that did not work either. Wore out battery with all the cranking and replaced for good measure after multiple charges. Killed starter in the process and replaced that too. Dried out fuses. Starter is now good, have crank, but no start. Do not have spark! Even put back old spark plugs and do. It have spark. Have 50 psi with fuel guage, and fuses seem to be good. Even did master reset (DC the battery etc)
Desperately need help as it is about to be sent to stealership and that will likely cost a lot!
Where could I have gone wrong and why no spark? Learned a lot from reading here and hope to someday help others who love these cars and want to do the work yourself to save money.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Did you reconnect the ground wires of the ignition harness?

Also it could be an IVM problem. Integrated supply module. See if there is a voltage on F001 and F002 fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. We never unhooked the ground wires of the ignition harness... perhaps I am missing something?! The IVM is an interesting idea... would make sense if that was part of the initial sluggishness, but did not have starting problems before -that I am aware of anyway -probably started and stopped 20-30 times since brought it home a few weeks ago. If I test the voltage from the IVM is there a specific number I should look for and a specific place to test? Was able to look at all the fuses on the IVM and they looked fine.
Appreciate the help a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So broke down and took it to the stealership. Mistake. Long story short they diagnosed a flooded engine and reset the ews. They wanted to change out the spark plugs, but for 350.00 we passed. Anyway, got it back home, put in third set of new spark plugs and still no start. We at least have spark since they reset the ews, just won't start presumably due to engine still flooded. Any ideas on how to clean up flooded engine?

·
Registered
563 Posts
normaly just crank it while the spark plugs are removed, so that the excessive fuel blows out.
then put a LITTLE engine oil in each cylinder, so that the washed down oil film gets restored.
crank it again.
put the spark plugs in
engine should start, maybe a little smokey the first couple of minutes:)

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
So broke down and took it to the stealership. Mistake. Long story short they diagnosed a flooded engine and reset the ews. They wanted to change out the spark plugs, but for 350.00 we passed. Anyway, got it back home, put in third set of new spark plugs and still no start. We at least have spark since they reset the ews, just won't start presumably due to engine still flooded. Any ideas on how to clean up flooded engine?
Did they tell why the EWS needed a reset and how it prevented the sparks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This just gets worse by the day... After getting it back from the dealership, it looks like the starter is not working... Barely spinning. It is a brand new OEM starter (not a rebuild) that has been in for only a few days!
Appreciate the tip for clearing the the flood oceandiver, but now can't get to that step yet! Acoste, no, they did not say why they had to reset the ews nor how that prevented spark... And I am only just learning about ews which seems complicated at the moment. Will certainly call on Monday to ask, but now wondering what they did to my starter!
Could it be something other than the starter at this point?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This just gets worse by the day... After getting it back from the dealership, it looks like the starter is not working... Barely spinning. It is a brand new OEM starter (not a rebuild) that has been in for only a few days!
Appreciate the tip for clearing the the flood oceandiver, but now can't get to that step yet! Acoste, no, they did not say why they had to reset the ews nor how that prevented spark... And I am only just learning about ews which seems complicated at the moment. Will certainly call on Monday to ask, but now wondering what they did to my starter!
Could it be something other than the starter at this point?
Isn't it you battery?

Or the engine has so much gasoline in it that you are nearly hydro-locking it. Pull the sparks and suck out the gasoline.

or something else attached to the belts started to seize up

·
Registered
826 Posts
Have a new to us, 2005 e53 n62 X5, 100k mi. Was running fine, but felt sluggish. Added fuel injector cleaner. Changed air filter. Changed spark plugs on drivers side, started up and ran fine. Changed spark plugs on passenger side, and ran rough. Used NGK platinum. Tried to ascertain which coil was bad, multiple starts and stops, decided to change all coils. Coils (Bosch 00124) arrived next day, replaced all and car won't start.(did not drive during any part of this) clearly drained battery, and likely flooded engine from previous day's troubleshooting of coils. (Sparks were soaked with fuel) Pulled fuse 47 and tried jump starting with gas pedal half depressed to clear flood and that did not work either. Wore out battery with all the cranking and replaced for good measure after multiple charges. Killed starter in the process and replaced that too. Dried out fuses. Starter is now good, have crank, but no start. Do not have spark! Even put back old spark plugs and do. It have spark. Have 50 psi with fuel guage, and fuses seem to be good. Even did master reset (DC the battery etc)
Desperately need help as it is about to be sent to stealership and that will likely cost a lot!
Where could I have gone wrong and why no spark? Learned a lot from reading here and hope to someday help others who love these cars and want to do the work yourself to save money.
Why would that be the problem?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Bimmerfest mobile app
before anything happened at all... added fuel injector cleaner ... this could have clogged the filter up... so i ask if it has been changed yet...
at a later time... now have spark... but still wont start... ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
this may sound really stupid but maybe the new plugs you put in on the passenger side are bad from the factory. it happens. i would pull all the plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse and see if that motor spins with no pressure on it. it will also blow the excess fuel out of the cylinders.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Make sure the rubber boots of coils and properly connected to the spark plugs. I had that issue when I change the plugs and coils

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 15 of 15 Posts