BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
HUFINGTON
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished the muffler delete project.

Used 2.5" in and out steel x-pipe, dual Vibrant bottle style resonators, and 4' inch double layer steel quad tips.

It took some time to finalize this project as I was trying to figure how to fit the quad 4" tips and what tips to use. I also changed my mind the last minute and instead of spray painting them with VHT high temp paint, I had them powder coated with "gloss wet black".

Please be advised:

If you are going to do the same mod, you'll need exhaust tips that are less than 10 inches in overall length; that have a gap no more than 4 mm in between tips; and that are staggered. Still it'll be a very tight fit. But I am very glad that my wife insisted on 4" inch quad tips instead of 3.5 inch ones, because I was planning to have 3.5" tips because I knew that they'd fit.

I used dual bottle resonators because I wanted to decrease the dB level of the muffler delete around 4-5 dB and prevent any drone (after watching almost all available muffler delete videos).

I love the way the car sounds now. The x-pipe and the resonators are brand new so the sound characteristics will change slightly but it is perfect for my needs.

You do not hear much when cruising with the windows up unless of course you step on it. Windows down, you hear it when you start accelerating at 1.5-2k rpm and when you are decelerating to a stop at the same rpm. When you drive leisurely, sounds almost stock.

The pops and burbles are more pronounced than the stock exhaust and the decibel level is higher at idle when in gear.

Videos for how it sounds:

https://youtu.be/sLTAbJQ-wG4

https://youtu.be/AyUUSTcnHuU

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Oooh all those pops and burbles... That exhaust sounds lovely!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finally finished the muffler delete project.

Used 2.5" in and out steel x-pipe, dual Vibrant bottle style resonators, and 4' inch double layer steel quad tips.

It took some time to finalize this project as I was trying to figure how to fit the quad 4" tips and what tips to use. I also changed my mind the last minute and instead of spray painting them with VHT high temp paint, I had them powder coated with "gloss wet black".

Please be advised:

If you are going to do the same mod, you'll need exhaust tips that are less than 10 inches in overall length; that have a gap no more than 4 mm in between tips; and that are staggered. Still it'll be a very tight fit. But I am very glad that my wife insisted on 4" inch quad tips instead of 3.5 inch ones, because I was planning to have 3.5" tips because I knew that they'd fit.

I used dual bottle resonators because I wanted to decrease the dB level of the muffler delete around 4-5 dB and prevent any drone (after watching almost all available muffler delete videos).

I love the way the car sounds now. The x-pipe and the resonators are brand new so the sound characteristics will change slightly but it is perfect for my needs.

You do not hear much when cruising with the windows up unless of course you step on it. Windows down, you hear it when you start accelerating at 1.5-2k rpm and when you are decelerating to a stop at the same rpm. When you drive leisurely, sounds almost stock.

The pops and burbles are more pronounced than the stock exhaust and the decibel level is higher at idle when in gear.

Videos for how it sounds:

https://youtu.be/sLTAbJQ-wG4

https://youtu.be/AyUUSTcnHuU
Is that a 50i or M? I see an M badge on the lower right. Also, did you change out the downpipes? I just got my 50i tuned and need downpipes to get the rest out of my 150Whp gain! How much did the material and project cost? Thanks.

Attachments

·
HUFINGTON
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a 50i or M? I see an M badge on the lower right. Also, did you change out the downpipes? I just got my 50i tuned and need downpipes to get the rest out of my 150Whp gain! How much did the material and project cost? Thanks.
It's a 50i with msport package.

It cost me around $450 including install plus $80 for powder coating. Sounds better than the Meistershaft GTS that a friend has installed. He paid $5,000.00 for the exhaust and tips and another $2,500 LSR Mid Resonator Delete Pipes. I cannot justify to spend that much for basically the same result.

The car was dynoed at 357whp and 398lb-ft from the factory. I have a G-Power tune from a friend that works there and the tune is supposed to be good for +120whp and +115lb-ft before the exhaust. It is maybe 10-15hp more at the top of the rev band.

I don't have down pipes as I don't want the smell and also do not want to go through the hassle of installing them and then uninstalling them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's a 50i with msport package.

It cost me around $450 including install plus $80 for powder coating. Sounds better than the Meistershaft GTS that a friend has installed. He paid $5,000.00 for the exhaust and tips and another $2,500 LSR Mid Resonator Delete Pipes. I cannot justify to spend that much for basically the same result.

The car was dynoed at 357whp and 398lb-ft from the factory. I have a G-Power tune from a friend that works there and the tune is supposed to be good for +120whp and +115lb-ft before the exhaust. It is maybe 10-15hp more at the top of the rev band.

I don't have down pipes as I don't want the smell and also do not want to go through the hassle of installing them and then uninstalling them.
Gotcha.
What is the stock HP - crank that bmw advertises? I ask that bc I wanted to get mine dyno***8217;d before the tune but didn***8217;t and wanted to know the stock WHP. My stock crank was 457 per bmw then after Velostune stage 2 it was 545WHP according to the dyno. Downpipes should add another 40whp or so I***8217;m guessing? You can get downpipes with catskysts you know right? The ones from G Force are $5k though... your friend can***8217;t get me a better price can he?

·
HUFINGTON
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gotcha.
What is the stock HP - crank that bmw advertises? I ask that bc I wanted to get mine dyno'd before the tune but didn't and wanted to know the stock WHP. My stock crank was 457 per bmw then after Velostune stage 2 it was 545WHP according to the dyno. Downpipes should add another 40whp or so I'm guessing? You can get downpipes with catskysts you know right? The ones from G Force are $5k though... your friend can't get me a better price can he?
I know, but they are super expensive and as far as I know they would get you another 25-30 whp. The numbers I gave are stock at the wheels, don't remember the crank stock, I have to find the slips. With the tune mines should be around 477 at the wheels before the muffler delete and X5M filters. BMWs come always more power than advertised though. Usually, the drag strip numbers are better indicators as to how good the setup is than dyno numbers. I will not race this truck, so I won't be getting any 0-1/4 mile numbers etc. but it sure feels much more powerful than a 500hp truck now as it felt more powerful than the 445hp advertised when new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts