BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 and 535i Tire Info

1928 6
My E61 with Continental DWS will be gone in a couple of weeks. 2012 535i Msport Euro Delivery will be here soon.

I'm in central NC, so normally I wouldn't switch the Dunlop Summer Tires, but I occasionally go to NC Mountains with this vehicle in late fall and early spring with low temps. Thinking of storing the Dunlop and replace with DWS (too soft??) or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S with a repair kit - Any suggestions? Maybe just keep the Dunlop??

Number 2 - Wife's 2011 X5 Sport with 19" Dunlop Dueller Run Flat. 13k + miles. Since Xdrive wagon is going, this will be the winter car for the family mountain trips. I know the Dunlop will not make it through the winter, especially for mountain snow driving. Any suggestions here? Dedicated snow's for occassional use don't really make sense on this vehicle. There is about 14 months left on this lease.

FYI, even though they are a bit soft, I really like the DWS on the 535 wagon. Great comprimise for occasional mountain snow, but nice for everyday use in the warmer areas.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
The Pilot Sport A/S plus will have faster steering response and bit more dry grip than the Continental DWS, while the Continental DWS has better snow and ice traction between the two. If the Dunlop is a summer tire, do not try to use it on snow or ice. Even in sub freezing temps on dry roads, summer tires will progressively lose grip as the temps get colder.

We will start to get information on this years upcoming winter tires around mid September, so I would suggest checking back at that time for winter tire information.
Gary,

Thanks for the info. What would your suggestion be for all season for the X5 - Michelin Run Flat? Need respectable/occasional snow, maybe 2-3 weekends per year? Maybe use DWS on X5 and then put runflat back on for lease turn in??

Thanks,

Andrew
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS is among the best available for winter traction, however it is not available in a run flat tire. If you have the 255/50R19 size, the best available run flat all season would be the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=/tires/index.jsp
Thanks a bunch - will be in touch in a few weaks to order.

Andrew
My 2009 X5 will need new tires shortly (255/55R18RF). Trying to decide between the current tires (Bridgestone Dueler 400) or upgrade to the Michelin Tour HP ZP at +$100/tire or $400 for the set. I don't mind the extra cost (well maybe a little) but my primary usage is around town, occasional freeway and never track/mountain roads. So noise, handling, wear, in that order. Need to stay with RunFlats.

Suggestions?
Phil
The Continental Extreme Contact DWS is among the best available for winter traction, however it is not available in a run flat tire. If you have the 255/50R19 size, the best available run flat all season would be the Michelin Latitude Tour HP ZP.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=/tires/index.jsp
The non run flat version of the Bridgestone Dueler H/L400 is rated significantly lower than the Michelin latitude Tour HP in our customer survey data. I would expect the same results with the run flat versions of those tires.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.