BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I got a check engine light on because of a P2457 code. On the code reader it states EGR cooling performance.

I checked the coolant fluid level and have enough fluid. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to fix it?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Hey Guys,

I got a check engine light on because of a P2457 code. On the code reader it states EGR cooling performance.

I checked the coolant fluid level and have enough fluid. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to fix it?
EGR cooler cracked? It is known issue on 35d. BMW installed bracket later to address that issue. You might check that cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey Guys,

Without looking up the code I think it is more likely linked to a gunked up egr valve or a malfunctioning flap/vacuum line. Either of these reducing the egr flow.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
I saw someone has a broken return spring on the EGR cooler, causing that specific fault...FWIW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
X5 EGR Valve code P2457

Hey guys

I have the same problem with my X5, check engine light came on and it gave me a P2457 code which is EGR Valve. Question: this car has 2 of them one that mounts to the manifold and the other to the exhaust, any knowledge of which one could be the one for this code?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
what is an "x5 335d"??

That code absolutely DOES NOT MEAN (necessarily) that a new EGR valve will fix it. First you need to use the code and other tests to diagnose the issue, THEN fix it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
what is an "x5 335d"??

That code absolutely DOES NOT MEAN (necessarily) that a new EGR valve will fix it. First you need to use the code and other tests to diagnose the issue, THEN fix it.
Thank you very much for that incredibly helpful response.

X5 35d (apologies for the typo even though you already knew which model I was talking about)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
Thank you very much for that incredibly helpful response.

X5 35d (apologies for the typo even though you already knew which model I was talking about)
The second partnof my post WAS incredibly helpful.

But you and your money pit go and have a nice life

·
Registered
130 Posts
I took it to dealership to have it diagnosed and they said it does indeed need a new EGR cooler.

So far just paid for diagnosis. Dealership wants $2100 for fix. A local Indy shop quoted me about $1800.

The problem is, the dealer said there are other codes and they won’t know what else is needed until they do this first. That sounded suspect to me.

Now I am stuck with the decision of fixing and hoping for the best or dumping this rig. CarMax appraised it at $13k.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
17 Posts
Broken Spring..

I also have a broken spring on my EGR cooler valve. I believe i fix it and it only cost me less than 10 dollars. Not the most professional fix but I am sure this will hold well till the EGR cooler goes totally busted. I purchased a spring from home depot( kit of 4 springs but only 2 are about the right size)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...+tgr:{No+stage+info}+qu:{759636}:qu+nf:{1}:nf

Of the 4-1/2" sprink cut about 20 coils and bend the last coiled at the cut. Drill a small hole (1/8') in the plastic fan housing then attached the 2 end of the spring as in the pictures attached.

I also added a piece of hose over the vacuum hose to avoid direct rubbing against the spring.

See attached and I would love to hear some toughs. It only took about 30 minutes including measuring twice...:):)

View attachment 888697

View attachment 888699

View attachment 888701

View attachment 888703

·
Registered
145 Posts
alinvictor - Great Job!! I've heard people mentioning rigging up an alternate return spring for the EGR, but to my knowledge no one has posted pictures/video. I helped my son replace his EGR cooler last summer for just this problem.

Question: what did you do to test the spring function? Were you applying vacuum to the EGR controller valve?

My only concern with this is I don't know if there should be a calibrated amount of spring resistance per psi of vacuum. Testing/comparing with a known factory spring would answer this, I suppose. Some might presume that if the code doesn't return you are good, but others would want a measured/tested system.

Still very clever. I would almost recommend a new post with a title referring to "35d M57 EGR cooler spring repair" for easy finding by others in the future - like you did on the youtube post.

Stephen

1 - 20 of 43 Posts