·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,207 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Broken Spring..

alinvictor - Great Job!! I've heard people mentioning rigging up an alternate return spring for the EGR, but to my knowledge no one has posted pictures/video. I helped my son replace his EGR cooler last summer for just this problem.

Question: what did you do to test the spring function? Were you applying vacuum to the EGR controller valve?

My only concern with this is I don't know if there should be a calibrated amount of spring resistance per psi of vacuum. Testing/comparing with a known factory spring would answer this, I suppose. Some might presume that if the code doesn't return you are good, but others would want a measured/tested system.

Still very clever. I would almost recommend a new post with a title referring to "35d M57 EGR cooler spring repair" for easy finding by others in the future - like you did on the youtube post.

Stephen
Hi Stephen
I know exactly what are you talking about and the answer is no. I did not measure the force of a original spring to match with the one I did. Anyhow, i am not sure the vacuum controls on this engine measure the pressure applied for the actuator. There is just an electro-valve that controls the vacuum ON/OFF mounted right in top of the EGR cooler. That is also the point where i was controlling the vacuum in order to test the spring functionality.

Another statement will be that the force of the spring is very light and by cutting down the 20 coils made just tension enough to pull back the valve with very little force. I drove the car for about 60 miles and i had it Idle for more than 30 mins and no codes yes. I'll keep posted if I get the codes back.
Oh, I did not want to apply too much force as i did not want to put much stress on the membrane of the vacuum actuator.

·
Registered
290 Posts
...See attached and I would love to hear some toughs. It only took about 30 minutes including measuring twice...:):)
You might want to consider what will happen if the spring breaks, since it could hit the fan or serpentine belt.
Perhaps run a safety wire through the spring...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Broken Spring..

Thank you for this idea. I will look into it. Although the spring is very light and puts almost no force to extend and retract. I think the whole spring is rated for 1.4lb. If it will get to break will most likely be cause by age...lol. By then i will replace the EGR cooler due to possible cracks may appear or if I decide to EGR/SCR/DPF delete.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Error

Alinvictor,
Has this repair successfully eliminated your SES? I have a broken spring, and P2457 and was thinking about following your fix, but was curious if you are still running without issue? I know putting a new cooler in will resolve the spring issue, but I would like to wait a bit before putting another $500 in parts into the SUV.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update

One week after installing the "Home Depot" spring modification and no SES light. Typically it would have been back within 1-2 days. Fingers crossed that this is a short term fix until I decide to replace the cooler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Broken spring

alinvictor,

Solid work! I was about to drop $450 on a new cooler but I checked my spring after I saw your post. Sure enough, it was broken. I decided to soak the cooler in Purple Power degreaser and try your spring trick. When I removed the cooler, the flap was sticking but after the soak, it is moving freely. I will let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2012 X5d
257 Posts
Some people also grind the post and replace the coil spring and weld it back. I did the HD spring, too, after reading this post months ago and I'm still going strong. The safety wire is on my list.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
20,207 Posts
Some people also grind the post and replace the coil spring and weld it back. I did the HD spring, too, after reading this post months ago and I'm still going strong. The safety wire in on my list.
Here they are winding my new custom spring. I don’t expect it to break.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Broken Spring..

Here is a video of the operating valve...

Thank you for the idea on the fix. Broken Spring:

Bush/bandaid/******* fix: <---LOL why is red neck a bad word??

I'll trim the zip tie once I am confident it has the proper tension. I tightened down now so that the spring barely has any tension at rest. There is not a lot of room to work in there!

Oddly enough, the CEL went out immediately...I don't think I have ever had that. It's always "drive it a few days" or clear the code with a reader.

·
Registered
2016 BMW X5 Diesel
46 Posts
This is some serious money saving idea, thanks a ton! I have a broken spring too. I took the plastic hosing off (filtered air pipe), so I can check what the problem was.
Question for those who did it already - Do I need to remove the whole assembly out to put the spring or can I just replace from the top? I could barely get my hand there to take a picture, not sure how to put the new one in though. Or, do I need to access from the bottom ?

Can someone please help me pick the right spring from this - Everbilt 5/8 in. x 6-1/2 in. and 15/32 in. x 4-1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Extension Spring (4-pack)-16071 - The Home Depot ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I installed mine without removing the EGR. I made a keyring from a stiff piece of wire, attached it to the spring and spun it onto the arm of the EGR, then a small zip tie thru the other end of the spring, and then the large one routed thru some holes in the body. Works best to put the rings on both ends of the spring prior to install.

Also, go with the lighter spring. It really takes very little tension. I am sure you don't want to overpower it.

·
Registered
2016 BMW X5 Diesel
46 Posts
I installed mine without removing the EGR. I made a keyring from a stiff piece of wire, attached it to the spring and spun it onto the arm of the EGR, then a small zip tie thru the other end of the spring, and then the large one routed thru some holes in the body. Works best to put the rings on both ends of the spring prior to install.

Also, go with the lighter spring. It really takes very little tension. I am sure you don't want to overpower it.
Ok thanks... will try that.

·
Registered
2016 BMW X5 Diesel
46 Posts
Also, did you guys remove the old broken spring out ?
trying to, but curious as to how to get there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken Spring..

I also have a broken spring on my EGR cooler valve. I believe i fix it and it only cost me less than 10 dollars. Not the most professional fix but I am sure this will hold well till the EGR cooler goes totally busted. I purchased a spring from home depot( kit of 4 springs but only 2 are about the right size)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-8-in-x-6-1-2-in-and-15-32-in-x-4-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Extension-Spring-4-pack-16071/202045467?keyword=759636&semanticToken=200300001110_20200413205646921885_34kj+200300001110+>++cnn:{0:0}+cnr:{7:1}+cnp:{10:0}+cnd:{4:0}+cne:{8:0}+cnb:{9:0}+cns:{5:0}+cnx:{3:0}+st:{759636}:st+oos:{0:1}+tgr:{No+stage+info}+qu:{759636}:qu+nf:{1}:nf

Of the 4-1/2" sprink cut about 20 coils and bend the last coiled at the cut. Drill a small hole (1/8') in the plastic fan housing then attached the 2 end of the spring as in the pictures attached.

I also added a piece of hose over the vacuum hose to avoid direct rubbing against the spring.

See attached and I would love to hear some toughs. It only took about 30 minutes including measuring twice...:):)

View attachment 888697

View attachment 888699

View attachment 888701

View attachment 888703
Broken Spring..

I also have a broken spring on my EGR cooler valve. I believe i fix it and it only cost me less than 10 dollars. Not the most professional fix but I am sure this will hold well till the EGR cooler goes totally busted. I purchased a spring from home depot( kit of 4 springs but only 2 are about the right size)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-8-in-x-6-1-2-in-and-15-32-in-x-4-1-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Extension-Spring-4-pack-16071/202045467?keyword=759636&semanticToken=200300001110_20200413205646921885_34kj+200300001110+>++cnn:{0:0}+cnr:{7:1}+cnp:{10:0}+cnd:{4:0}+cne:{8:0}+cnb:{9:0}+cns:{5:0}+cnx:{3:0}+st:{759636}:st+oos:{0:1}+tgr:{No+stage+info}+qu:{759636}:qu+nf:{1}:nf

Of the 4-1/2" sprink cut about 20 coils and bend the last coiled at the cut. Drill a small hole (1/8') in the plastic fan housing then attached the 2 end of the spring as in the pictures attached.

I also added a piece of hose over the vacuum hose to avoid direct rubbing against the spring.

See attached and I would love to hear some toughs. It only took about 30 minutes including measuring twice...:):)

View attachment 888697

View attachment 888699

View attachment 888701

View attachment 888703
Thanks for the idea... just completed on my 2015 X5 35d and it worked like a charm.

Mark

21 - 40 of 43 Posts