BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone with a diesel think it is overly loud? Mine has 3,200 and seems to be getting louder and now making a whinning noise. It absolutely hates inclines and I feel like I am driving a manual transmission and I need to shift up a gear. I test drove two of them and I don't remember hearing a big diesel-ly noise. I called service to see what they think.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
Does anyone with a diesel think it is overly loud? Mine has 3,200 and seems to be getting louder and now making a whinning noise. It absolutely hates inclines and I feel like I am driving a manual transmission and I need to shift up a gear. I test drove two of them and I don't remember hearing a big diesel-ly noise.
That does not sound at all normal.

I called service to see what they think.
Lemme guess, "Sir, it is a diesel and they will be a bit noisy. They all do that. Don't bring it in"

·
Registered
589 Posts
Does anyone with a diesel think it is overly loud? Mine has 3,200 and seems to be getting louder and now making a whinning noise. It absolutely hates inclines and I feel like I am driving a manual transmission and I need to shift up a gear. I test drove two of them and I don't remember hearing a big diesel-ly noise. I called service to see what they think.
"Overly loud" won't mean much to anyone on this forum. What's loud to you may be quiet to the next person etc....

Take it to the dealer first.

Note that under load the diesel will make some clattering noise which is perfectly normal. A whinning noise, assuming this is the proper descritpion, could be considered unusual.

With all the torque of the diesel, you might very well be the first person to say that the X5 diesel "hates inclines." Both of my diesels, (335d and X5d) LOVE inclines. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Overly loud" won't mean much to anyone on this forum. What's loud to you may be quiet to the next person etc....

Take it to the dealer first.

Note that under load the diesel will make some clattering noise which is perfectly normal. A whinning noise, assuming this is the proper descritpion, could be considered unusual.

With all the torque of the diesel, you might very well be the first person to say that the X5 diesel "hates inclines." Both of my diesels, (335d and X5d) LOVE inclines. :)
It is REALLY loud and draggy going up an incline... it feels like it is stuck and can't get out of gear...and then on the decline it tends to race before it normalizes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should I drive a diesel differently then we would drive a gas engine? Seems on an incline I just keep giving it gas and it gets louder and louder, if I step off the gas a bit it seems to adjust it self...:dunno:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
That really sounds abnormal. The diesel has so much torque that I rarely have to adjust the accelerator up inclines.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There is nothing truly loud about these vehicles. I had a 528 as a loaner for the past 4 days and it was noticeably quieter....but the X5 is whisper quiet beside my neighbours F350....lol. :rofl:

·
Registered
262 Posts
From the description, it sounds like the transmission may not be up shifting and the engine gets loud.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That is what it feels and sounds like...I need to shift up...
Is your X warmed-up? When cold, it holds a gear longer and will sound louder.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have about 3500 miles on my X5d as well. For what it's worth, my experience is that the car is getting smoother. It is definitely louder than a comparable non-diesel X5 when idling and especially when cold. But I think the biggest difference to me is not the volume but the tone. The clanking and pitch of the engine noise make it sound like an engine that needs a tune up rather than a finely tuned BMW inline 6, which is what I'm used to these days. My biggest adjustment with the car, and I'm not quite there, is getting used to the sound of the engine. I really don't like it. That said, when it's warm (and warmer outside) and I've put in some Diesel Kleen, it's more bearable. Maybe try the additive to see if it's something about the fuel you're putting in. This might also help with the power issue.

Either way, I do end up listening to music much more loudly than I used to.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The best advice is to take it in and drive with a tech to show them what is going on. Be careful about adding anything to the tank that could be used later as a "reason" your car is not performing as it should (your fault!). This is a new car and things go wrong with new cars from time to time so nip it in the bud and get it checked out. Let us know what was discovered too.:angel:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,552 Posts
One further point: DO NOT say your primary issue is the SOUND. DO...NOT... Say it is driveability or power or shifting, etc...and add in the noise, but if you just lead with noise they will likely not give it the attention they should.

(Think of an ER: patient comes in and says "feels like an elephant on my chest" versus another that says "I feel faint and queasy" ... guess which is getting attention first?)

A

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have about 3500 miles on my X5d as well. For what it's worth, my experience is that the car is getting smoother. It is definitely louder than a comparable non-diesel X5 when idling and especially when cold. But I think the biggest difference to me is not the volume but the tone. The clanking and pitch of the engine noise make it sound like an engine that needs a tune up rather than a finely tuned BMW inline 6, which is what I'm used to these days. My biggest adjustment with the car, and I'm not quite there, is getting used to the sound of the engine. I really don't like it. That said, when it's warm (and warmer outside) and I've put in some Diesel Kleen, it's more bearable. Maybe try the additive to see if it's something about the fuel you're putting in. This might also help with the power issue.

LOL, I could have written this, except I haven't tried Diesel Kleen. Yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

True, it is more bearable with the music louder. Even though I drove two of them to test them...mine just seems so much louder.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One further point: DO NOT say your primary issue is the SOUND. DO...NOT... Say it is driveability or power or shifting, etc...and add in the noise, but if you just lead with noise they will likely not give it the attention they should.

(Think of an ER: patient comes in and says "feels like an elephant on my chest" versus another that says "I feel faint and queasy" ... guess which is getting attention first?)

A
Good advice. I will lean more towards the incline shifting issue...(bec that is when it is REALLY loud)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ahhhhhh....... the beauty of the diesel. Surely an acquired taste..... of which I still haven't acquired yet. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts