Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm new here - great to find this forum. Please go gentle on me!

I've just bought a 2005 X5 from a mate who only had it for a few months.

There are a few minor issues. I hoped to maybe group them together here, but if mods would prefer that I split them out (or if there are old threads I haven't found!), please let me know!

Bluetooth:
I can't get the console to offer to connect, even though I follow the process. My phone (Pixel 3) also doesn't pick up at BT address for the car.
I know that BT was optional then but I'm sure my car has it. I do have the metal box in the rear left (I think this is GPS + BT?). I also have the tray in the front that mentions TCU.
Any suggestions for what I can do?

CD Player:
It's all there and apparently worked before. Right now, when it's loaded with discs, it will go through each one, try to read it, but then the console will tell me there's no disc for each slot.
Any ideas why it's not reading?

Whirring:
Finally, I waited in my car today after stopping. I noticed a whirring coming from behind the AC fans in the centre console.
Is this bad?

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'm new here - great to find this forum. Please go gentle on me!

I've just bought a 2005 X5 from a mate who only had it for a few months.

There are a few minor issues. I hoped to maybe group them together here, but if mods would prefer that I split them out (or if there are old threads I haven't found!), please let me know!

Bluetooth:
I can't get the console to offer to connect, even though I follow the process. My phone (Pixel 3) also doesn't pick up at BT address for the car.
I know that BT was optional then but I'm sure my car has it. I do have the metal box in the rear left (I think this is GPS + BT?). I also have the tray in the front that mentions TCU.
Any suggestions for what I can do?

CD Player:
It's all there and apparently worked before. Right now, when it's loaded with discs, it will go through each one, try to read it, but then the console will tell me there's no disc for each slot.
Any ideas why it's not reading?

Whirring:
Finally, I waited in my car today after stopping. I noticed a whirring coming from behind the AC fans in the centre console.
Is this bad?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Are you sure you have a telematic control unit? It is not the same as the Nav unit. Is it plugged in? I think it has three things that plug into it. Someone could have unplugged it as these are sometimes the source of parasitic battery draining.

Sorry, no help with the CD player.

If you have the IHKA which is the automatic temperature control system, there is a small fan behind the controls that draws cabin air in across a temperature sensor. The fan running is normal. It should stop when the car goes to sleep though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your responses - sorry, I've only just seen this.

Will check on the TCU. What should I be looking for?

Good to know about the fan!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thank you for your responses - sorry, I've only just seen this.

Will check on the TCU. What should I be looking for?

Good to know about the fan!
The TCU is in the rear on the left side mounted low if you have one. The easiest way to depower it is to pull the fuse for it. I can't remember the fuse number. 74 maybe? Should be in the front or rear fuse boxes and be listed.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
1 .Forget about the BT- it is old and TCU modules they used long time ago are old outdated and useless now even if you find the "right" module. ....
Buy separate BT device/ BT hands free type and hang it on visor....
2. CD changers cassettes wear out or box/chassis get out of shape and you have issues as you describe -jamming or reporting no disk....
I have tried whatever I could - removed the CD changer box, took it apart and cleaned/oiled - helped a bit and started to fail again
The most success I had by pushing/biasing the cassette to the right or left while in the unit by adding/ gluing some soft thin sticky padding (found it in Home Depot on furniture accessories shelves) to its side (thin enough so cassette still can get in and out, to keep it that way.

You can always spend more money and get and upgraded Nav/radio unit ... like these i e. (though you will lose on board computer functions - if you care) but this may take care of BT as well

https://www.amazon.com/slp/bmw-x5-radio/bpkg6okm5d3ygrh
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/android-bmw-x5-e53-dvd-gps-navigation-head-unit-radio-navi-bluetooth-usb.html

3. Whirring? It is probably the vent/AC fan behind the console? My is doing it a bit when i hit the brakes - seems like bearings are dry ... Turn the ventilation/AC fan off and see if it still there?

·
Registered
821 Posts
1 .Forget about the BT- it is old and TCU modules they used long time ago are old outdated and useless now even if you find the "right" module. ....
Buy separate BT device/ BT hands free type and hang it on visor....
2. CD changers cassettes wear out or box/chassis get out of shape and you have issues as you describe -jamming or reporting no disk....
I have tried whatever I could - removed the CD changer box, took it apart and cleaned/oiled - helped a bit and started to fail again
The most success I had by pushing/biasing the cassette to the right or left while in the unit by adding/ gluing some soft thin sticky padding (found it in Home Depot on furniture accessories shelves) to its side (thin enough so cassette still can get in and out, to keep it that way.

You can always spend more money and get and upgraded Nav/radio unit ... like these i e. (though you will lose on board computer functions - if you care) but this may take care of BT as well

https://www.amazon.com/slp/bmw-x5-radio/bpkg6okm5d3ygrh
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/android-bmw-x5-e53-dvd-gps-navigation-head-unit-radio-navi-bluetooth-usb.html

3. Whirring? It is probably the vent/AC fan behind the console? My is doing it a bit when i hit the brakes - seems like bearings are dry ... Turn the ventilation/AC fan off and see if it still there?
Spend the money on an Avin Avant 4. They're great and they look totally stock. https://avinusa.com/avant-4-multimedia-navigation-system-for-bmw-x5-e53.html

With the IBUS app you maintain teh board computer functions. Money well spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts