Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
The horn has stopped working and seems like a relay issue.

What I have done.

Removed both horns and 1 is failed (high pitch) and the other works fine when conncted to 12v (low pitch).
Removed airbag and horn connector which is working and generates an earth connection when pushed.
Verified and also replaced anyway both fuse (boot fuse board and under glove fuse box).
Verified there is no power to either plug for the horn, both connection have a constant earth connection on the blue wire. So it's the 12v that isn't being supplied.

I can't find any reference to any relay for the horn, is there something I missed or any advice. The cable appear ok and no obvious cuts that I can find.

At the stage of considering running new cables and standard single pole relay to connect the horn to the wheel on a new power line.

Thanks

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doug,

What junction box is this referring to. The fuse box has 3 relays (2 for wipers front and rear, and 1 for air suspension)?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK it looks like A4010 is the actual fuse board.

But the K2 relay isn't installed on mine, and there is also no available connections for a relay (incase it fell out).

I have the 3 relays seen at the top of this, but K2 which is in the middle doesn't appear to be there???

A4010 Fuse Board

Mine looks like this (taken from another site as a reference as its hard to get a photo of it on the car).

My Fuse Board (Missing K2 pins)

·
Nuclear engineer
16,426 Posts
Well, maybe I chose the wrong car, but YOU can search the NewTIS.info site for YOUR answers. Enter with YOUR VIN-7

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Doug but I have checked it and done a lot of searches and research online and still that's what I am doing now, as I only post a question after I have exhausted all other avenues to find a solution to my question. Attached is a picture of my A4010 (Fuse Board) and there is no K2 relay or any area to fit one.

Any advice it can anyone confirm they have a relay in that location?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone able to confirm if they have the K2 relay as shown in the diagram, or any idea if there is a different location. All the diagram and posts I find reference this relay which doesn't exit on my X5?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump again, as still cannot find a solution or the K2 relay. Wonder now does it even use a relay.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry buy bumping this again, as I have spend more time and cannot find anything outside of the 2 fuses.
Traced the 2 connectors for each side and they eventually go into a wiring harness that I can't follow without serious cutting into cable wraps etc...

So has anyone any advice, or could anyone confirm if they have the K2 relay mentioned on TIS and RealOEM, check via the front fuse board like the picture I posted of mine.

Anyone...?

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Saw this in another thread about horns:

"Horn relay. #6, white-green. Behind fuses in glovebox. PITA to get to. Good for swapping with fuel pump relay (#3) when that goes south..."

One of my horns is dead is why I was searching. I feel kinda dumb but I can't even find either horn.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, thanks for the reply. Found both them relays as shown in the previous post pictures. But neither are for the horn, the location for the horn relay is blank and not wired! It's a mystery at this stage. But for your own problem. Take out the plastic cover at the fog light and you still see a metal rod just towards the engine bay with a single bolt, remove that bolt and the bar will drop down with the horn at the top of it on each side. Hope that helpms

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,111 Posts
Not clear if problem is input to or output from module. Can you activate the horn thru ISTA?
Does the ISTA wiring diagram show the relay?
Either relay is hiding real well or module activates horn via semi-conductor type device.

·
Nuclear engineer
16,426 Posts
Not clear if problem is input to or output from module. Can you activate the horn thru ISTA?
Does the ISTA wiring diagram show the relay?
Either relay is hiding real well or module activates horn via semi-conductor type device.
If - IF - I selected the correct car above, and he hasn’t posted any more than basic model information, then it has a relay located behind the glovebox per NewTIS.info. But we can’t go any deeper without his VIN-7

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,
I posted 2 pics of where TIS says the relay should be, but it's blank and doesn't even have a slot to fit a relay behind the glovebox. The output pins for the horn have no power and ISTA doesn't activate the horns either. I can provide VIN if it helps, but it's a 2010 X5 xDrive 35d Seater.

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,111 Posts
Other possibilities....
TIS is wrong or relay is integral to the panel and mounted on backside. Can you remove panel and check?
Can you inspect panel harness for wires w/same color code as those at horns?

ISTA has their own wiring diagrams. Have you compared those with TIS info?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts