BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help please? My 2011 E70 40D has developed a misfire for approx 15 seconds when starting from cold first thing in the morning. It has done it every morning for the past 4 days. Completely fine starting from cold later in the day, and runs as smoothly as ever all the rest of the time too. No warning codes appearing on dash. When I try to gently rev it to clear the misfire, it "pops" or sputters, just leaving it fro about 15 or 20 seconds it clears itself and runs as normal. Car has only done 58K miles and I definitely don't thrash it so hoping its not too serious. It had been doing quite a few short runs but I've now given it two longer properly hot runs in sport mode to keep revs up etc but that hasn't helped. Waiting to borrow an odbc code reader tomorrow but suspect it will show nothing as no codes or fault comes up on dash. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
It is often said here that the best tonic for our diesels is to drive ***8216;em like you stole it. How cold is cold? A code reader is important. Learn how to monitor your Normal Operating Temperature as an indication of thermostat health that greatly affects glow plugs and preheat module and diesel particulate filter. Study www.NewTIS.info for your platform. Enter with your VIN-7

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,582 Posts
!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Doug. Cold is car left outside in circa 0degC temperatures overnight. Problem then arises in morning when temperatures are currently 0 - 5 degC. We've been colder in preceding weeks (sub zero) but there was no issue then - something has gone wrong independent of ambient temperature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have read Doug***8217;s diagnosis on a lot of forums. The Dude knows his stuff about our vehicles. It also might be your starter relay fuse going bad. You can test it by pulling it out and heating it up in your house and then putting it back in. If it fires up you might just have a bad fuse.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Misfire is not starter.
I would check with a reader that can get bmw codes.
What you describe sounds like when 2 of my glow plugs went bad due to the module starting to fail. It was an intermittent rough idle at start, and went away when I replaced the middle and plugs.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,893 Posts
Misfire is not starter.
I would check with a reader that can get bmw codes.
What you describe sounds like when 2 of my glow plugs went bad due to the module starting to fail. It was an intermittent rough idle at start, and went away when I replaced the middle and plugs.
This.

You want a BMW code reader if possible.. Sure, try a regular one, but if you get nothing try again with a bmw reader

+1 on the glowplugs, but there will be a code if it is. (And you will need a new GP controller too...once a GP fails it usually takes out the controller. Lots of posts about this)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts