BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow crazy BMW lovers,

I recently upgraded from my e60 to a e70.
Its 2013, White on Black, i50 w/ Msport package, tech, prem, prem2.

I love this beast. Shes mean & sounds nasty, while still being refined & fun to drive.

Now Im a guy who likes to tinker, BUT only for a cause. I did a FULL entertainment system mod on my e60 (upgraded it from 04 to '12) that I loved. Search my user name, that full upgrade thread is online here. It was a lot of work, But it had a purpose...

SO: What would you do to my ride cosmetically & performance wise if you had say $2K to burn.
Have fun & appreciate any / all input.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Congrats on the X5, love mine.

I spent about that much on trailer hitch for bike carrying / light towing, used winter wheels & tires, rubber mats. Probably nothing as exciting as what you're looking for but fits my tri training and Tahoe driving cause...

·
Freude am Fahren
2,482 Posts
... What would you do to my ride cosmetically & performance wise if you had say $2K to burn.
Enjoy the car as is.

Then put the $2K in the bank and self-insure ... because you WILL need it.

Get back to us with an update in about a year ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred: That is actually what Im looking to do too. Get a hitch put on so I can carry bikes when needed. Im looking into the cost for that.

Pax: I hear you. You may recall me saying I had an e60 for 10 years so that is good advice, & I get it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Enjoy the car as is.

Then put the $2K in the bank and self-insure ... because you WILL need it.

Get back to us with an update in about a year ...
LOL!! Yes!

I have the BMW hitch installed on my X5 50i. Works great. The 50i is a beast! It tows better that the Dodge Durango we used to have with the 5.7 Hemi.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Champ:

Im eyeing that move myself, getting the hitch.
I saw the dumb hitch (no electronics) is about $250 online parts only.
What was your total cost on it & did you have the dealer do it?

Id be doing it for bike racks only, BUT in my house, if you dont have the bike rack, you arent the car that gets used...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Champ:

Im eyeing that move myself, getting the hitch.
I saw the dumb hitch (no electronics) is about $250 online parts only.
What was your total cost on it & did you have the dealer do it?

Id be doing it for bike racks only, BUT in my house, if you dont have the bike rack, you arent the car that gets used...
I bought my '11 X5 50i used. It already had the hitch installed and it appeared to be installed exactly per the BMW specs. I appreciated that the prior owner went through the time and expense of having it installed. It was the thing that put me over the top on this vehicle as I was looking at a couple of 35i X5s that didn't have the tow package. It is an expensive option but I can tow my bass boat or utility trailer. I had to buy one of those error canceling trailer plug adapters to keep the X5 from freaking out and thinking my LED trailer lights were out. the X5 does a light check when it knows you have a trailer plugged in. The 50i is a beast and tows my 21ft bass boat like its not even back there. In my opinion, the BMW hitch adds value to the vehicle (to you or the next owner) as it is not a common option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Champ:

I can do this aftermarket, yes? I cant imagine why not, but wanted your opinion.

Is there anything that has to be "cut out" on the body, or does the hitch just rest below the white fiberglass bumper?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like my Draw Tite hitch. It was like $150ish for an open box hitch.

It hangs down lower, but the bumper trimming is much less. Honestly, the oem cutout looks bad to me. I saw a few cars on Manheim with the oem hitch and a comment of "bad aftermarket hitch install" haha.

If you're towing a trailer and not just a bike rack, get the oem BMW wiring harness and module (it's one p/n, about $170ish).

You'll need the module coded when you're done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you gang for the feedback & input. Nice ride champ.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts