BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2012 X5 3.0 diesel in April 2012. Since then I have had a couple of issues that needed fixing.

Firstly, when I took delivery of the car, I noticed that the bottom part of the front bumper was bent. A new bumper was ordered and the bumper was replaced.

A few weeks later I started noticing an oil leak on my garage floor. The dealer then explained that the transfer case was leaking and replaced it.

I am now experiencing issues with the steering. I find the steering quite rough, especially when turning a corner. It feels as if something is slipping. I experience it the most when I approach a corner at 80km/h, brake and slow down to 30 - 40 km/h and then turn. The steering wheel doesn't shake/vibrate but it feels as if it is.

The X5 has been to the dealer and they told me that it's the transfer case causing the steering to feel strange but the transfer case has now been replaced and the steering is still not 100%.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

My car is going back to the dealer on Friday but I am 99% sure that they won't fix it and will tell me that it's withing specification :mad:

I've also experienced the creeking in the B-pillar and it definitely has something to do with the rubbish plastic they have used.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't experienced any wheel alignment issues but I also haven't checked my wheel alignment since I bought the car. The car doesn't pull to the left or right so it shouldn't be an issue.

I am disappointed with the overall quality of the X5. I expected top notch build quality seeing that it is built in the USA but my new 3 series built locally in South Africa is built far better than the X5.

Let's see what happens on Friday.

· Registered
42 Posts
Dostb,

I own a 2012 X5 35i Premium. It has 21k miles on it and has been trouble free, but I did experience a C Pillar creak when going off road in Moab with the truck. It's now in my Mom's possession and it has been trouble free for her as well, but it's duty is now limited to trips to whole foods an North Park in North Dallas.

As far as your vibration problem, I would think it's due to the transfer case replacement. It may be out of alignment or balance when they re- installed it. I had a classic Range Rover that had vibrations, especially when turning and it was due to the transfer case. They rebuilt and installed it properly and the problem went away.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I always like to look at cause and effect. When you have two or three symptoms, I look for ONE cause.

Did this car get dropped/damage in shipment?

1. Bent Bumper
2. Damaged Transfer Case
3. Frame/other damage????????

I think you have ONE issue, being compounded by a BMW dealership that maybe isnt doing a great job.

A

· Registered
1,257 Posts
I can see ard's logic . . . but if a car was dropped in a manner that bent the bumper and damaged the transfer case . . . won't there be even more damage - at the very least some serious paint damage on the bumper? This drop must have been quite substantial for the transfer case to get out alignment and the bumper to get bent.

I am only speculating here - there may be ways to cause this damage and nothing more . . . the fact that you are in South Africa means your car saw quite a few transfers - truck to train to ship to train to truck to dealer?

Regarding the B-pillar noise - I have it, Teflon tape fixed it for about 18 months . . . my theory the gap between the roof of the car and the top of the door (where there is a felt piece) is below design spec. After 18 months they replaced my Teflon tape with a new Teflon tape - and that made it worse! My guess - the new Teflon tape was marginally thicker than the first one.

I am tempted to ask the tech to realign the door (front passenger) . . . my fear - the noise may go away but the door may start to leak (wind noise) and/or negatively impact the door-feel when you close the door.

If I wipe the felt area on the top of the door frame with a damp cloth, the noise will go away for a few hours . . . also this noise is ambient temperature dependent.

Thoughts/suggestions are always welcome. Thanks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for responding.

I will be quite pissed if the car was dropped or damaged in shipment. How can I actually find out if this happened? Will the dealer tell me?

I also believe that the dealership is not the best out there but I will give them another chance and if I don't come right I will involve the regional manager from BMW SA.

· Registered
356 Posts
I worked for ford back in the 80's. Twice at the dealer cars where delivered with major damage, 1 case was from the factory.
other the trailer the top collapsed and smashed a car below..Both where fixed and sold as new.The one that was smashed, the customer was waiting on that car,he knew it got
smashed and still wanted it..

· Registered
1,257 Posts
+1 . . . no one is going to tell you about any incident(s) during shipping/prepping.

Somehow I get the feeling ard is right . . . you may want to take it to an independent mechanic, get the car on a lift and give it a thorough look over . . . it may reveal more stuff.

GL

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
. you may want to take it to an independent mechanic, get the car on a lift and give it a thorough look over . . . it may reveal more stuff.

GL
This is a pretty good idea.

You may want to bluff them a bit too... do you play poker? :angel:

If you have an independent review that isnt definitive, but gives you some concern, demand an onsite meeting/inspection with the BMW regional rep.

Keep in mind that this dealer is charging BMW for this work, telling BMW it is a manufacturing defect...BMW might be very interested to hear the dealer never reported damage, or if they did they did not fully fix it. You already have a damaged bumper (underneath?)..already evidence of shipping damage.

Dont think for a millisecond the dealership will be helpful or honest. They are going to cover their asks.

A

· Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm sorry for your troubles Op.

+1 on the lift idea
Just a FYI, I believe at least during a VPC tour article of the nj port, the bmwstaff had said that transport damage although rare, does occur, And in that event BMW does not legally have to disclose any documents to the dealer or customer if the damage is below 15% of the cars value, but they would be repaired.

I'm thinking that your car probs got damaged after the VPC (if damaged at port VPC would fix it) and before your pickup.

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
^^ OP is in South Africa.

VPC, 15% rules,m etc, etc, etc...may all not apply. Just dunno.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
^^ OP is in South Africa.

VPC, 15% rules,m etc, etc, etc...may all not apply. Just dunno.
True, but if this the policy BMW has in a consumer-centric(loosely used) American market, I would assume SA, would have far more relaxed policies than America so BMW wouldn't even bother with releasing anything damage unless it was damaged beyond recognition.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just booked my car in and asked for a detailed report on my car to determine if it was fixed before I took delivery of it.

They printed out the whole report and gave me a copy of it. The report does not have any comments on it about being damaged during shipment...

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I just booked my car in and asked for a detailed report on my car to determine if it was fixed before I took delivery of it.

They printed out the whole report and gave me a copy of it. The report does not have any comments on it about being damaged during shipment...
In your country does the LAW REQUIRE that this be documented in whatever report you demanded???????

Why would you think this would be in a report? What is your logci/rationale?

Did you have someone else do an inspection?

I am not concerned that it was 'repaired before you took delivery'..I never said that. My hypothesis (just speculation) was that it was damaged before deliver and NEVER fixed...which was why you found the underbumpoer then the transfer case only after delivery....nobody reported nor documented the event.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.