BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some things changed that my car choice (originally M3 sedan) will be either the new X5 M or X5 M-sport package, or one of the Cayennes. Basic same package is $13K cheaper in the M-sport package ($89K vs $76K). 07-08 Cayenne Turbos have dropped into the $45K-$55K range. Turbo-S a bit more...

So....
I'd like an every day driver with the utility and performance hence my list. I've always liked the X5, driven several and aware of it's capabilities, the Cayenne is the other I like most (I could list 15 more I've eliminated). Lastly, the X5 M-sport can be had with a 3rd row (though I know it's minimal, it's there if ever needed)

What I'm thinking:
-twin turbos in X5 M... X5's rep isn't exactly the best. Worth the risk?
What would be the best choice to put miles on (occassional spirited driving) and not live in the service shop?
Lastly, let's put a cap of $90K. So we have a $45K range...does it seem to be "worth" the difference for the performance, tech upgrades, reliability?

Common sense and "practicality" tells me X5 M-sport package...

Out of the four... which would you choose?

Thx in advance on thoughts...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar situation.....

The X5 M wasn't available (I missed it by a few months)

I've had 2005 Touareg V8 and a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 and now a 2009 X5 M-Sport. The only other vehicle I considered was the Cayenne GTS. The way I wanted it, it was close to $100k and I didn't think it was worth $30k over the X5 M-Sport, although there's a performance advantage with the Porsche. And at $100k, it would have had to include the fees for a divorce attorney :)

The reliability of the twin-turbo is somewhat unknown, right?

I'm very happy with the M-Sport, although I think it could use about 20-25 more HP. Fuel economy is downright awful (worse the the Touareg and Q7, which surprised me). It handles SO MUCH better than the other two. The Cayenne GTS is every bit as good, if not slightly better in the handling department, IMHO

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
Without a doubt, X5 M.

The only Cayenne that comes close to its performance is a turbo S. The X 5 M can be purchased new for $90K, giving you a full 4 years free maintenance and warranty - something you won't get with a pre-owned Porsche. And the maintenance at Porsche is everything but cheap.

Honestly, I don't see any advantage the "old" Porsche has over the X5 M. Sure, if you buy pre-owned, you can save some money. But I doubt the Porsche is the better SUV. Cayenne's reputation isn't the best either.

Common sense certainly is the X5 m-sport package.
It also depends if this is an every day commuter. If so, I would also chose this car.

BTW, we need a sub-forum for the new X5 M!:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The X5 M wasn't available (I missed it by a few months)

I've had 2005 Touareg V8 and a 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 and now a 2009 X5 M-Sport. The only other vehicle I considered was the Cayenne GTS. The way I wanted it, it was close to $100k and I didn't think it was worth $30k over the X5 M-Sport, although there's a performance advantage with the Porsche. And at $100k, it would have had to include the fees for a divorce attorney :)

The reliability of the twin-turbo is somewhat unknown, right?

I'm very happy with the M-Sport, although I think it could use about 20-25 more HP. Fuel economy is downright awful (worse the the Touareg and Q7, which surprised me). It handles SO MUCH better than the other two. The Cayenne GTS is every bit as good, if not slightly better in the handling department, IMHO
Yes, I agree 100% here... I know the fuel will be rough on the X5, and X5 M is only slightly worse. Thx for the feedback on the M-sport, and you are confirming my thinking!! :thumbup:

Without a doubt, X5 M.

The only Cayenne that comes close to its performance is a turbo S. The X 5 M can be purchased new for $90K, giving you a full 4 years free maintenance and warranty - something you won't get with a pre-owned Porsche. And the maintenance at Porsche is everything but cheap.

Honestly, I don't see any advantage the "old" Porsche has over the X5 M. Sure, if you buy pre-owned, you can save some money. But I doubt the Porsche is the better SUV. Cayenne's reputation isn't the best either.

Common sense certainly is the X5 m-sport package.
It also depends if this is an every day commuter. If so, I would also chose this car.

BTW, we need a sub-forum for the new X5 M!:D
Good points on Porsche... and it will be my DD so I am leaning to the X5 M-sport even more based on these points

Thx guys, much appreciated!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too was faced with the same decision. I chose the 2010 4.8 M-Sport. Althought the X5M is a beast, I couldn't convince the wife how great it would be to have 555 hp under the hood. She would always counter with 13 mpg and go on about practicality. I did however load up the M-Sport with every possible package except the HUD. I'm picking it up this weekend. Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too was faced with the same decision. I chose the 2010 4.8 M-Sport. Althought the X5M is a beast, I couldn't convince the wife how great it would be to have 555 hp under the hood. She would always counter with 13 mpg and go on about practicality. I did however load up the M-Sport with every possible package except the HUD. I'm picking it up this weekend. Good luck with your purchase!
Congrats!!!:thumbup: Please let me know what you think once you "break her in" :bigpimp:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 997 C4S so I am technically a Porsche-phile ... I think the X5 is a much better package overall. My brother has an '08 Cayenne (updated body) and I amazed at how little interior space there is despite feeling / looking bigger from the outside.

Additionally the interior of the Cayenne is no where near the level of quality of the 911 and less than the X5 - look at the cheap looking plastic around the seat base of the Cayenne and you will see what I am saying.

Oh, and I had a Cayenne GTS as a loaner twice from my dealer when having warranty work and other than a really wicked exhaust the GTS did not impress me. I'll be quiet now but I honestly don't see the appeal of the Cayenne ...

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
The X6 is a nice looking....hmm, what is it?:rofl:

The only problem I'm having with that vehicle is that it has less space than the X5 AND costs more. Maybe it's just me who's not getting the idea of a car with the exterior dimensions of a Hummer and the interior space of a 3-series coupe...:p

·
Registered
512 Posts
The X6 is a nice looking....hmm, what is it?:rofl:

The only problem I'm having with that vehicle is that it has less space than the X5 AND costs more. Maybe it's just me who's not getting the idea of a car with the exterior dimensions of a Hummer and the interior space of a 3-series coupe...:p
agreed but damn they are fast. and they handle like a 3 series too.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
IRT the X6, I have seen only two on the road since they were introduced. I thought I saw another one yesterday but it was an FX50 and went by me so fast all I saw was the rear end, which kind of looks like an X6. I am sure BMW is selling them somewhere but it sure doesn't seem to be around here. Also saw a brand new Cayenne GTS, what a great looking machine! I really like the looks of the new style.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I read and article, that since merging with VW, Porsche will discontinue the Cayenne and Panamera after the current model runs.

Something to consder if you want a Cayenne. They are simply not selling well any more. They used to be Porsche's best sellers but I think they are looking long in the tooth so Porsche plans to go back to its roots.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Net, I saw that too about Porsche taking over VW/Audi. No surprise, those three have always been sort of joined at the hip. I sure see plenty of Cayennes around here, far more actually than the T'egg or the Q7. Lots of X5's but they have been in production for such a long time, and our weather here is so good to cars, most still look new. Makes it hard to tell the year. Porsche is also supposed to be fielding an X3 fighter, the Rockster (lousy name), based on the Q5/Tiguan initially with a 300 hp V6 and a big honking V8 (think GTS) down stream a bit. Love to see that one. I know the purists would love to see the Cayenne disappear but it has been a cash cow and very successful to the non zealot market.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Talking about the X5 M:

Now is its top-speed going to be 155mph or 130mph? I assumed 155mph before I found some confusing information on bmwusa.com (AS USUAL!:thumbdwn:):

155mph:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2010/M/X5M/Features_and_Specs/X5MSpecifications.aspx

130mph:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2010/M/X5MX6MExplore.aspx#x5/factsheet

Is it so diffucult for these guys to get some numbers straight?:dunno:
I can assure you the top speed of the X5///M is > 140

The X5///M is a heck of an SUV (SAV whatever). Very advanced electronics package (NAV with real time traffic, backup camera with side view cameras and proximity, iDrive is amazing for late 2009/2010 models, etc.), has lots of room, looks great and costs about the same as a Cayenne GTS (LOL).

FYI - you can't get 3rd row seating in the ///M version and you will get about 12-14mpg city.. At least that's what I'm getting.

If you're not in need of the 555 hp, the 4.8i is a great SUV at a great price and you can pick them up used even better. Even if the cost was the same, I'd take a 2010 X5 4.8 over a Cayenne GTS (and the price difference as noted above is vast).

My $.02

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
I can assure you the top speed of the X5///M is > 140

The X5///M is a heck of an SUV (SAV whatever). Very advanced electronics package (NAV with real time traffic, backup camera with side view cameras and proximity, iDrive is amazing for late 2009/2010 models, etc.), has lots of room, looks great and costs about the same as a Cayenne GTS (LOL).

FYI - you can't get 3rd row seating in the ///M version and you will get about 12-14mpg city.. At least that's what I'm getting.

If you're not in need of the 555 hp, the 4.8i is a great SUV at a great price and you can pick them up used even better. Even if the cost was the same, I'd take a 2010 X5 4.8 over a Cayenne GTS (and the price difference as noted above is vast).

My $.02
Thanks for clearing that up! You wrote "side view cameras"?! I wasn't aware that the X5 (and especially the X5 M) has that feature. I thought it was rear view camera with top-view (and top-view being the known simple PDC-graphic from older models) only.

There is no question this SAV/SUV delivers the best bang for the buck. I previously owned an E60 M5 and the previous X5 4.8is - both great vehicles. Now you can have both in one for the price of the M5. I wasn't a huge SMG-supporter (I also drove mine in auto-mode and getting all the power on the road sometimes was a difficult task) and now they increased torque, HP, packed it into a much heavier vehicle with AWD AND managed to improve gas-mileage. I won't be missing the high-rev engine that only wasted gas...

And when comparing prices to Porsche, you also have to add the cost of maintenance...:rofl:

I'm planing on getting a MY2012 X5 M - maybe they add some additional toys and the new engine should be fully established by then.

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
You wrote "side view cameras"?! I wasn't aware that the X5 (and especially the X5 M) has that feature.
Wow, awesome!:thumbup:

I just found it. Just to avoid any possible confusion: This is actually called "Top View" and adds 2 additional cameras to the rear view mirrors plus the rear camera (total of 3). "Side View" is the system with the cameras in the front skirts (left and right), enabling you to see into a street when leaving a narrow driveway. That system is currently available on the 7-series and will also be available on the upcoming 5-series GT. That's why I was a bit confused when I initially read "side view cameras"...;)

But the Top View is great. I didn't know that was available.

http://thatbmwguy.com/bmw/2009/08/10/2010-bmw-x5-m-x6-m-released-in-vancouver/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow, awesome!:thumbup:

I just found it. Just to avoid any possible confusion: This is actually called "Top View" and adds 2 additional cameras to the rear view mirrors plus the rear camera (total of 3). "Side View" is the system with the cameras in the front skirts (left and right), enabling you to see into a street when leaving a narrow driveway. That system is currently available on the 7-series and will also be available on the upcoming 5-series GT. That's why I was a bit confused when I initially read "side view cameras"...;)

But the Top View is great. I didn't know that was available.

http://thatbmwguy.com/bmw/2009/08/10/2010-bmw-x5-m-x6-m-released-in-vancouver/
Yes, sorry.. I lazily called it side view.

Here are the two 'views' available with the new setup.. Std. rear camera (much, much improved over the < 2010 X5's), and top view. Both views also incorporate the front and rear proximity warning on the right split screen. If you hit something with this setup, you really shouldn't be driving :)

Crappy Blackberry pic, but you get the idea:

Borrowed images:

·
BMW-addicted
1,335 Posts
Really nice!:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts