Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Back in the market for an X5. Recently found an X5 m50i 2020. Build/spec sheet looks good except for the date of production - 9/2019. Here we are in July... I was told by CA that this car has been at their dealership for only a month. The online listing indicate that this car has about 400 miles on it.

CA states it's been sitting on the lot for a month and may have been used for test drive. He could not get back to me on miles at this time. The build sheet has Demonstrator listed. There is no "in-service date" but VH is listed.

Car's MSRP is ~88k and has all the packages I want.

Since this isn't exactly a fresh out of the plant car -- I think there should be more wiggle room for pricing. Are there other requests that I should make - tires/oil/fluids etc? Or is the car still relatively new.

Hoping for you input/suggestions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cargurus says it's been on their lot 27 days but it's been on Cargurus 292 days.

According to Cargurus: Fair Price $84,637, Good Price $80,732, Great Price $78,499

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
These are always challenging.

Gotta visit the dealer, look at and drive the car.

Then ask all the right questions. If there is evasion or any hesitation on the part of the dealer to explain mileage, time on lot, where else the car has been, etc, walk, or make an aggressive deal and take your chances.

But first, gotta see the car.

Other option is, if the car hasn't been registered, propose a very aggressive reduced cap and do a lease and figure any troubles are covered for your ownership period.

I did a factory exec "brass hat" that had never been registered. Did a 2 year lease that was a great deal on a magnificent car. Never had any trouble. Car was flawless for over 30,000 happy miles. It had 3,000 miles on the clock when I drove it off the lot, grinning ear to ear.

·
East Coast Commuter
4,604 Posts
Most likely this car is a brass hat that was sold to the dealership where it currently resides. If I am correct then the in-service date has already started it it has potentially close to 1 year less warranty than a brand-new model. I would expect the discount to reflect these realities otherwise I’d just buy a brand new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most likely this car is a brass hat that was sold to the dealership where it currently resides. If I am correct then the in-service date has already started it it has potentially close to 1 year less warranty than a brand-new model. I would expect the discount to reflect these realities otherwise I’d just buy a brand new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I just had to google brass hat but if it is, isn't it illegal for them to sell it as new?

·
Registered
8,884 Posts
I just had to google brass hat but if it is, isn't it illegal for them to sell it as new?
Nope, Basically falls under the "demo" umbrella. New means (basically) not titled to an end consumer, for the most part. Brass hats / executive demo cars are not titled to end consumers, so still qualify as "new" (new car with miles).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think you need to be extra careful with a car that has been around.

My good friend picked up a new 740 that had been to 3 different dealerships. Had about 300 miles on it. The pricing was great so he leased it. 4 months later, after numerous service visits, BMW NA swapped out the car as a substitution of colateral with a model year newer.

Horrible experience for my friend; the stealer just was not upfront with the problems.

Regarding demos or service loaners, which is referred to as "fart cars", the discount has to be substantial to have 50-100 people in the drivers seat.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,567 Posts
400 miles is not insignificant.

It could have been driven by the dealer's elderly mother. OR it could have been a press car, driven by a bunch of azzhats who beat on it for their YouTube channels with 200 subscribers. OR it could have been used at the Performance Center to ferry VIP's, OR it could have been used as a track / xDrive demonstrator at the Performance Center, OR it could have been used at one of the Winter xDrive events at ski areas around th ecountry.

The point is, you just don't know, and it's unlikely you ever will.3 year lease for the missus to drive, covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty till you return it? Sure, why not?

Car you are going to purchase and keep for 7 years? I'd find a brandy-new one with 12 miles on the clock and no stories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts