BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do my wife's rear pads and rotors this weekend. Does anyone know the proper way to retract the caliper pistons?

On some rear calipers they just push in (clamp) and others need to be screwed back in (I have a little square tool for this that I have used on other cars).

I'm guessing they just push back; anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Scott ZHP said:
I need to do my wife's rear pads and rotors this weekend. Does anyone know the proper way to retract the caliper pistons?

On some rear calipers they just push in (clamp) and others need to be screwed back in (I have a little square tool for this that I have used on other cars).

I'm guessing they just push back; anyone know for sure?
All the ones I`ve had to "screw in" did so because the emer. brk. acted on the caliper and rotor (pulling the e-brk rotates the "screw" and extends the piston) With shoe type e-brk brake inside the rotor, the piston retracts straight back.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99flhr said:
All the ones I`ve had to "screw in" did so because the emer. brk. acted on the caliper and rotor (pulling the e-brk rotates the "screw" and extends the piston) With shoe type e-brk brake inside the rotor, the piston retracts straight back.
Ok thanks. I didn't realize that the e-brake was a drum inside the rotor, but that certainly explains why the hat is so big!

Anything special about getting the rotor over the shoes? I'd imagine I just need to release the ebrake, remove the locating screw and persuade the rotor off.

I've done loads of brake jobs in the past, but this is a first on the rears of "her" X5.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done! Even cleaned and painted her grungy calipers for Mother's day.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts