BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a new 2004 X5 4.4i with Panoramic Roof last March. 2 days into owning the truck, my roof leaked after a rainfall. When I move the vehicle, water streams through my overhead console (where the light, sunroof switch, garage door opener are etc). My ashtray is full of water. I reported this day 3 of ownership. In the last 12 months, BMW Toronto and the BMW Experience Centre in Whitby (just outside Toronto (Where I Leased the vehicle)) have attempted to fix the sunroof 6 (yes SIX) times. The sunroof cassette has been totally changed three times and they've tried everything from pipe insulation to filling the cavity forward of the sunroof with some kind of black tar. Every rainfall, it leaks.

Nothing has worked.

Finally, my patience exhausted, I said "take the car back", and BMW is now saying "well, the truck is a year old and there are 15,000 Kilometres on the odo."

I say the vehicle should be valued from the moment I sighted the problem, not from whatever time BMW decided they can't fix the roof.

Anybody know what I'm entitled to in Canada as compensation/vehicle replacement---before I consult a lawyer?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Does Canada have "lemon laws" like in the U.S.? If so, they should be required to take it back and terminate your remaining lease payments. It is obvious that you got a lemon, and you shouldn't have to pay the price.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BradATL said:
Does Canada have "lemon laws" like in the U.S.? If so, they should be required to take it back and terminate your remaining lease payments. It is obvious that you got a lemon, and you shouldn't have to pay the price.
i do not think this is a big as problem to be reported as a lemon. my dad with a 4.8is had the problem with the roof leak and hes yet to take it in, his appointments this week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Sunroof Problem!

Except I have a 2004 x3. Leaks, leaks, leaks. They don't know how to fix it, and in the past year my car has been in over 3 times, and no fix. I want them to buy my car back too. It is simply absurd. This past Saturday, the present to which I awoke was over 1/3 gallon (that's 2 liters+) on the floor of the car. What fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
roof leak

any update on this? I have a 2005 x5 with the panoramic sunroof and it is over 1 year old and it just started leaking at the sunroof switch after a heavy rain fall.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If your moonroof/sunroof is leaking, you might want to check the drain tubes that run down inside the "A" pillars. Look underneath the X, to the rear of the front tires. If these tubes get blocked by mud, etc, your roof WILL leak.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is a known issue on the early pano-roof...not enough drainage. Check with your dealer to see if this applies to your car. They may need to replace the entire tray to cure the problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
leaky X

When did the pano roof begin its problems? What was the first model/year it was reported in? I noticed, one time, a leak from the opening switch for the roof in my 05 X5. Since I never saw it before that I attributed it to the humidity. Just want to know if this a bigger issue that I should have checked out before it causes major damage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
The pano-roof started being offered in the mid-cycle run of 2004 (starting April production, to be exact). Don't know when they "solved" the problem, but it was reported on the X3 as well as the X5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts