BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 X5 Diesel that has some sort of fault that brings in numerous messages, everything from fuel pump, transmission, traction control etc. when I push the start button on occasion, 3 times in last few weeks. Dealer so far has not been able to narrow down the scope of the problem. I thought maybe a rodent had chewed on some wires that causes a short now and then but they have not found any damaged wires, I had spotted evidence of a rat under the hood, chewed nuts, rat ****. Any one ever deal with similar issues that they found a solution for?

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,199 Posts
Do a search for rodent and or chew, you'll find a number of threads and some suggestions.
Also a low battery or near end of life can throw all kinds of random errors.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,535 Posts
Yep. Get a different and competent dealer.

Warning lights leave error codes in the engine control computer that callup test plans that will show the competent where to look. Very often the first steps of a test plan require ensuring intact basic systems, like the battery.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2011 X5 Diesel that has some sort of fault that brings in numerous messages, everything from fuel pump, transmission, traction control etc. when I push the start button on occasion, 3 times in last few weeks. Dealer so far has not been able to narrow down the scope of the problem. I thought maybe a rodent had chewed on some wires that causes a short now and then but they have not found any damaged wires, I had spotted evidence of a rat under the hood, chewed nuts, rat ****. Any one ever deal with similar issues that they found a solution for?
I think that you more likely have a chipmunk problem rather than a rat problem. Chipmunks are notoriously famous for climbing into warm engine compartments to chew nuts and leave excrement. It is a common problem where we live. Those buggers are a bloody destructive hazard! I keep a trap in the garage called a "Rat Zapper" and bait it with sunflower seeds. Works like a charm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts