BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2019 and earlier GLEs always felt a little cheaper against the X5 (GLE didn’t have vented rear disks, non-turbo V6 instead of turbo inline 6, fake filled in exhaust tips on some trims).

The new generation 2020 GLE is now out at dealers.

Has anyone test driven the 2020 GLE against the 2019 X5?

·
Let Apple rewrite iDrive
470 Posts
There's a comparison of the X5 and GLE over at topspeed.com but it's pretty light on the driving details. Overall it's a pretty superficial comparison, but it might have some value to you.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/2020-mercedes-benz-gle-vs-2019-bmw-x5-ar182630.html

From what I've gathered on the Internet, these two models continue to conform to their typical approaches... The X5 has a more dynamic driving character, and the GLE feels more like a solid luxury car.

IIRC, the GLE has a neat trick on its options list. You can order an optional camera that reads the road ahead and dynamically adjusts the suspension to compensate for bumps/imperfections in the road as you approach them. There's another option where the GLE will automatically "lean in" slightly in turns, sort of like what motorcycle drivers do.

I've been a BMW guy for 14 years, but I have to admit the 2020 GLE has me very tempted... :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just drove a 2019 X5 40i and 2020 GLE 450. Here are my impressions:

Exterior:
Not a fan of the new X5 grill, but overall I like the style of the X5, especially with the M Sport package.
The GLE looks good only with the AMG appearance package. The one there without the AMG appearance package had fake dual exhaust tips like Audi does. The exhaust tips are blocked, and the exhaust exits under the vehicle. Also on the GLE there is a huge gap around the 19 inch wheels and the wheel arches in the fenders. It looks a little ridiculous.

Interior:
I'm not a big fan of the Huge combined dash and infotainment system on the GLE. But functionally the GLE seems to work better especially the augmented navigation. Also Apple CarPlay is standard on the GLE. It's an option and an annual subscription on the X5.
Both cars had high quality interiors.

Performance:
Both cars have an inline 6 (although the standard engine on the GLE is a four cylinder). Despite having less stated horsepower, the BMW felt stronger, and sounded better. Also the BMW transmission seemed to shift better. Because it's a hybrid, the GLE had a smoother auto stop/ start engine system. The GLE also lacked vented rear discs, whereas the standard brakes on the X5 are vented in the rear.

Handling: the BMW handled better. I thought the GLE would ride better than the X5, but to me, both had equally a smooth ride. The GLE had some road and wind noise; the X5 seemed quieter.

Again, I may be biased, but I think the X5 is the better vehicle. I***8217;m disappointed that Mercedes cut corners but putting fake dual exhaust tips and solid rear disks on a high end luxury car. (To get real exhaust tips and vented discs,you have to get the AMG appearance package). The X5 is the vehicle I'm likely to buy in the future.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Agree on non AMG look, just saw GLE 350 and looks very, very bland
Love seats on GLE, IMO much more comfortable than X5
Reserve final judgment until proper test drive AMG 450

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

1 - 4 of 4 Posts