BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Do all E70's with 3rd row seats have the air bags?

I'm looking for circa 2008-09, 3.0L with Nav and 3rd row seats. Two questions:

1. Do those of you with 3rd row seats find yourself using them?
2. Do the SAV's with 3rd row ALL have airbag suspension?
3. Is airbag suspension preferred over spring and shocks in your opinion?

They aren't too hard to find, just not near me (at a reasonable price). Not getting a V8 because I'm not interested in pulling cylinder heads to replace stem seals and DAMN sure don't want to pay 3 grand to have it done.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,073 Posts
By airbags you mean the suspenion, not crash airbags...right? confused at first

I am almost 100% sure 3rd row was a MANDATORY airbag suspension. So no 'choice'.

By 'using them' are you referring to the third row seats or the airbags?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
The self leveling suspension (airbags) was part of third row option. Can't have third row without the other.

I have third row and use it once or twice a year for the dogs when humans are in middle row. Dogs never thrilled with it, can't imagine a real person with actual legs would want to spend any time back here.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1473914805.151394.jpg

·
Registered
448 Posts
I rarely use mine, i did take a 2hr trip each way with 6 adults, one had to sit back there sideways.. not a comfy ride but its handy in a pinch.
When they are up you have no room in the back though, maybe couple small bags and thats it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By airbags you mean the suspenion, not crash airbags...right? confused at first

I am almost 100% sure 3rd row was a MANDATORY airbag suspension. So no 'choice'.

By 'using them' are you referring to the third row seats or the airbags?
By using them, I'm referring to the seats. My wife doesn't think I'll use them. I think I might, but would like the option, rather than having storage area.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The self leveling suspension (airbags) was part of third row option. Can't have third row without the other.

I have third row and use it once or twice a year for the dogs when humans are in middle row. Dogs never thrilled with it, can't imagine a real person with actual legs would want to spend any time back here.

View attachment 576227
Kewl, thanks for the info. I figured using them for some teens on a trip or something. My 13 year old seemed comfortable enough on a road test, but then again, he was preoccupied with the ipad in his face. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 8yr old fit in there but his knees were almost touching the seatback and the seats sit low so he couldnt see anything, it wont be comfy on longer trips. Still nice to have but you lose the spare tire and some storage so think of that as well.
If you ever plan on lowering your x5, its easier with the airbags, you just change the links out back with adjustable ones and new springs up front.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Got 3rd row seats in order to get the self-leveling suspension, since the plan was to use the X5 as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. I put them up once just to see how usable they might be for people, and it was clear only small children could be comfortable back there, adults only for occasional short hops. Haven't used them since, but it is nice to have them as an option "just in case."

·
Registered
711 Posts
Kewl, thanks for the info. I figured using them for some teens on a trip or something. My 13 year old seemed comfortable enough on a road test, but then again, he was preoccupied with the ipad in his face. :rolleyes:
I did a 2400-mile west coast trip with 6 people in my x5. The third row is fine for kids under 5'3.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I don't use the 3rd row much but when I have my 25 yr old daughter (5'8" tall) found the 3rd row seating more comfortable than sitting 3 up in the second row. Also it does separate the dog from the back seat passengers and what is in the limited cargo space occasionally.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I would rather have it than not. You maybe need it once or twice but still, you have it.

If you plan to tow airbag suspension will be very useful.

I bought mine without and was once at the point to sell my car and get one with 3rd seat... So, if you have that choice now - get it.
Loosing spare tire - well, most of us don't have it anyway, I would call it loose spare free space under cover (I have bunch of stuff there :) ).

·
Registered
75 Posts
My '09 X5 has the 3rd row option and the self-leveling suspension. My daughter is now nine and we...I should say, my wife, uses the 3rd row a lot. My car becomes the GS mobile when she is driving the girl scout troop to different events because it can carry five of them. I love the self leveling suspension since we tow a travel trailer (23', ~5000 lbs) as often as we can. It's kind of cool watching the car level out after the trailer is attached to the hitch. It is true that the 3rd row is really only comfortable for people under 5' tall, but we use it quite a bit and would not want to be with out it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you plan to tow airbag suspension will be very useful.
Funny you say that... cause I was thinking that perhaps I may in the future have the need to tow a small fishing boat, or 155mm howitzer, or mother in laws ass, or something.

So, I'm to understand that there is NO spare ANYWHERE on X5's with 3rd row? Why wouldn't BMW mount one underneath? Tires to blowout once in a while, and having that spare could keep you off the side of the road waiting for a VERY expensive road service I would think.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Personally I'd rather have a spare than the third row. It's only useful for kids in my opinion, but that will come into play as mine get older. I do really like the air suspension though.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I'd rather have a spare than the third row. It's only useful for kids in my opinion, but that will come into play as mine get older. I do really like the air suspension though.
Yeah, I'm liking the suspension, and for what I've read so far, it's rather affordable and simple to replace the bags. I've done overheads on E39's, suspension replacements, many MANY cooling system replacements in all sorts of BMW's, but I'm about getting tired of tinkering. That is one replacement I can handle, when they do go.

As far as a spare, we would be going maybe 3-400 miles a couple times a year as a family, I'm certain, especially here in Charlotte, that there will be a tire go out every now and again. I suppose I could figure out a way to carry a spare "donut" purchased after the fact in a package or burlap bag in the rear.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I carry a bottle jack, toold to remove the wheel, plug kit and a compact compressor. It all fits inside that cubby under the compartment. If need be, i can plug a tire on the side of the road and keep going.
Anything else, i have roadside assistance through my insurance company.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I carry a bottle jack, toold to remove the wheel, plug kit and a compact compressor. It all fits inside that cubby under the compartment. If need be, i can plug a tire on the side of the road and keep going.
Anything else, i have roadside assistance through my insurance company.
Kewl.

That sounds like it makes sense. I have USAA and pretty good road service through them. Not sure about tire replacement thought. Something I could ask them about.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Will concur that 3rd-row seating is rarely if ever used in my X5D. I have no kids/pets, and I do no towing.

I've had them up only once and in my opinion even small children would have a helluva time fitting back there, and, it seems there is no graceful way for entering/exiting those 3rd-row seats, either.

It is nice that BMW was able to add the feature for those who might need it, but I couldn't care less if I didn't have it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
By using them, I'm referring to the seats. My wife doesn't think I'll use them. I think I might, but would like the option, rather than having storage area.
But see, like many of us who toiled and agonized over finding an X5 with a 3rd row, going forward, EVERY time you use the 3rd row, you HAVE to let her know that you've used it, and how great it was.

When I was searching, I also specifically wanted a car with 3rd row as well. After 2 years of ownership, I've used it exactly once, and it was not comfortable for that person and I doubt he'll want to sit in it again. As others have said, it'll get more use if you have small kids who needs to be shuttled around short distances.

As my kid currently is only 1 year old, the X5 will be gone by the time the kid is only enough to sit back there with a booster seat. So my toiling for a 3rd row car was for nothing. I could have gotten a bunch of other cars closer and possibly cheaper now that I put this timing of when I will use it into consideration. Really, my next SUV that replaces the X5 will need 3rd row, not my current X5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts