BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night heading home I come up behind a brand new X5 (still had the paper plate in the window)
The guy seems a bit frisky and we proceed to play a bit of tag (at the speed limit) through the corners. No biggie I can stay on him and we aren't pushing it. We come up to a stoplight and he takes off hard, I try to keep up but it's a foregone conclusion...damn those things are fast! and it was only the 4.4!

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I had the 4.4 last weekend... and it [email protected] When you put your foot into it, the torque of that V8 pushes you into your seat. It put a smile on my face big time.

Going back to my 323i was a step backwards. The 2.5L is so linear, that acceleration is very unentertaining. The fun factor is very high on the X5 4.4... you actually feel the engine torque. You don't expect such a big thing to go that quickly. To me, it felt like a muscle car in a very tall, big, feminine styled body.

The biggest problem with the X5 4.4 is that is likes to cruise at 90-100mph whereas I find my 323i likes to cruise at 80-85 mph. :yikes: :yikes: Not good... for your license! :D

Oh yah... don't think you can lose those things in the corners... with the 19" wheels and low profile tires, they will keep up with an E46 no problemo.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had one out at the track last time, it was beating the E30 but not the E46s. There was a senior instructor at the wheel and he was up on 2 wheels around some of the corners. It was a demon on the straights though.

All that mass that high up only corners so good, it's got physics working against it.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
We had one out at the track last time, it was beating the E30 but not the E46s. There was a senior instructor at the wheel and he was up on 2 wheels around some of the corners. It was a demon on the straights though.

All that mass that high up only corners so good, it's got physics working against it.
:lmao:

·
Registered
595 Posts
despite the weight...

despite the weight....once rolling and even with the tractive advantage from a standstill:

there is no substitute for cubic inches.

in fact, while the M3 (i have on order) is a damn fine car, it still doesn't hold a candle to the 3.6litre P-car engine (2002 model year and up, or even the 993 aircooled motors at 3.8L).

the new 7 motor is really fine, too.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: despite the weight...

blackdawg said:
despite the weight....once rolling and even with the tractive advantage from a standstill:

in fact, while the M3 (i have on order) is a damn fine car, it still doesn't hold a candle to the 3.6litre P-car engine (2002 model year and up, or even the 993 aircooled motors at 3.8L).

the new 7 motor is really fine, too.
That 4.0L M3 GTR V-8 would shure be nice :(

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I drove a 3.0 (auto) last year. I confess I was not impressed... Came close to buying a 4.4 last year (right before I found my former M3 @ MSRP), which I found "fun" to drive. That 4.4 V8 is a nice motor. Can you imagine a 4.6is? :D

Oh well, I don't think I'll ever own a SUV, SAV, whatever... Thanks to FL traffic, I'm now an SUV hater... :mad: :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ALEX325i said:
I drove a 3.0 (auto) last year. I confess I was not impressed... Came close to buying a 4.4 last year (right before I found my former M3 @ MSRP), which I found "fun" to drive. That 4.4 V8 is a nice motor. Can you imagine a 4.6is? :D

Oh well, I don't think I'll ever own a SUV, SAV, whatever... Thanks to FL traffic, I'm now an SUV hater... :mad: :D
I too am not impressed with the X5. The big motors only come in auto, the car is huge, high center of gravity, expensive, my car is as fast (or faster) and much more fun :dunno:

When are you going to change your profile location to Brazil? :confused:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: despite the weight...

blackdawg said:

Yup, there is no replacement for displacement!

I'd hope so at $80 grand+ a car!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I too am not impressed with the X5. The big motors only come in auto, the car is huge, high center of gravity, expensive, my car is as fast (or faster) and much more fun :dunno:

When are you going to change your profile location to Brazil? :confused:
3.0's can be had with a manual tranny... ;) I don't think they would perform much better though... Well, those cars were not exactly designed to "perform"...

I won't bother. I'll be back in the States on Monday... :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ALEX325i said:

3.0's can be had with a manual tranny... ;) I don't think they would perform much better though... Well, those cars were not exactly designed to "perform"...

I won't bother. I'll be back in the States on Monday... :)
I'd much rather have a 330i than a manual X5. If you are going to option the X5, I would rather have an E46 M3 :thumb:

·
Registered
595 Posts
i hate SUVs, too.

right now it's my primary vehicle.

it's fine if i don't think about it.

am sure the X5 is a tad better, though.

got to drive the wagon in today, and what a world of difference that car is compared with the sports useless vehicle.

problem is: 3 dogs (labradors) barely fit in the wagon, so the SUV will actually be a practical vehicle for us always. unless they make an AWD 5 series wagon (a rumor).

·
3,300 Posts
Re: i hate SUVs, too.

blackdawg said:
right now it's my primary vehicle.

it's fine if i don't think about it.

am sure the X5 is a tad better, though.

got to drive the wagon in today, and what a world of difference that car is compared with the sports useless vehicle.

problem is: 3 dogs (labradors) barely fit in the wagon, so the SUV will actually be a practical vehicle for us always. unless they make an AWD 5 series wagon (a rumor).
No offense, but I don't think you can compare any existing SUV including a Bravada to an X5. My wife's ML320 is a turd compared to the X5. The X5 was like driving a tall sports sedan.... I had no performance complaints (handling, cornering, braking) compared with my E46.

In a city with heavy tall vehicle congestion... I certainly can't beat them so I'm thinking of joining them. While I hate driving the ML320, the X5 is in a league by itself. BMW recognizes the distinction and had to create it's own SAV category.

I have no issues trading my 323 for an X5 4.4... except for fuel economy and probably wanting a low vehicle periodically.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ayn and i drove the 4.4 at the ultimate drive event and it does indeed drive like a tall car, a tall bmw car. i really was anti suv, but if i had to get one, i'd have to consider the x5 (except the friggin price) cuz of the drive

·
3,300 Posts
eugeneDC/TX said:
ayn and i drove the 4.4 at the ultimate drive event and it does indeed drive like a tall car, a tall bmw car. i really was anti suv, but if i had to get one, i'd have to consider the x5 (except the friggin price) cuz of the drive
I was shocked how BMW-like it drove compared to every other SUV I've been in. Getting back into our ML was a huge step backwards! :( Pricing is nasty... but still cheaper than a 540i.

·
Registered
595 Posts
no offense taken!

would surely love to own an X5 4.6.

unfortunately, marrying a GM brat, we do tend to have at least one vehicle which is always bonafide GM. and since one of the few things they do well are trucks, voila.

is it in the same league as an X5? nope. but the powertrain spanks an X5 3.0, which is still 10 grand more expensive. so when i tow the car on the trailer to track days, this was also an issue. surprisingly, the tow rating on the x5 4.4 is pretty pukey given the engine power.

it would be more ideal if the US could get their diesel sulfur content down and we could get an X5 3.0d option, i would gladly pay money for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts