BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 E70 with 90K miles start to shake while giving power when doing tide turning at low speed. Find out that is the early symptom of Transfer case failure... Thinking to change the transfer case fluid might help a bit... Can anyone tell me about the reset procedure after the fluid change? I know its not like required but many people said it might help a bit. Is it possible to do that at home also or should I take it to a dealer and let them do it? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Highly doubt a fluid swap & reset of adaptations will resolve the issue...

The Foxwell 520 Pro w/ BMW specific software can reset the transfer case adaptations. It's as simple as following the dialog boxes & confirming "OK" at each one... They can be found for $150 or so online. It will also read BMW specific codes from the transfer case, as well as any other system in the car incase the transfer case isn't actually your issue (ie DSC issues)

If the clutches are still OK in the transfer case, & no other damage. I'd more likely speculate that the gear driven by the worm gear has worn a flat spot...

These can be found online for a fairly cheap, swapping it appears to be a bit of a pain as you have the remove the actuator motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The Foxwell 520 Pro w/ BMW specific software can reset the transfer case adaptations. It's as simple as following the dialog boxes & confirming "OK" at each one... They can be found for $150 or so online. It will also read BMW specific codes from the transfer case, as well as any other system in the car incase the transfer case isn't actually your issue (ie DSC issues)

If the clutches are still OK in the transfer case, & no other damage. I'd more likely speculate that the gear driven by the worm gear has worn a flat spot...

These can be found online for a fairly cheap, swapping it appears to be a bit of a pain as you have the remove the actuator motor.
Ah okay, question, isn't if it's caused by a worn gear for the actuator motor isn't usually proved by trifecta? also i believed this is a pretty common issue for a 2012 ish x5 right? Thanks for your help!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,840 Posts
Ah okay, question, isn't if it's caused by a worn gear for the actuator motor isn't usually proved by trifecta? also i believed this is a pretty common issue for a 2012 ish x5 right? Thanks for your help!
Im not sure these words make a whole lotta sense....

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,531 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am having the same symptom. I had this done while it was still under warranty 3 years ago. Only 3 years and the transfer case went bad again? did you get your problem resolve?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Changing the transfer case fluid and doing the reset solved the problem for me (on 2011 X5 3.5i).

I used ISTA+ (a.k.a Rheingold) to do the reset.

The reset procedure is simple, but getting all the software set up to be able do the reset is pretty complicated.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,240 Posts
Wife's 2009 X5 shudders sometimes slowly turning. Fluid change and reset TC adaptations using ISTA and it got better for a little while and then went back to shudder. No ABS/4X4/DSC lights. From my surfing, the worn actuator gear seems to be associated with the, so called, "trifecta".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shudder/Skipping issue

My 2011 has developed this problem. I took it to a BMW specific repair shop and explained the issue(s) (since there was more than 1 thing I was having them look at) and they suggested the transfer case flush and "re-calibration." The total cost for the diagnosis of issues, flush and calibration will be $800 out the door with no guarantee it will fix the issue. This will be the last time I take my vehicle to this specific shop. I haven't looked at the prices for a new/referb TC, but it can't be much more than what they are charging me. They are good people and good mechanics but I can't afford to spend 800 to 2k (water pump) EVERY time I take it there. If I had known how many issues I would have with this vehicle I would never have bought it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
they suggested the transfer case flush and "re-calibration." The total cost for the diagnosis of issues, flush and calibration will be $800 out the door with no guarantee it will fix the issue.
Damn if they are only draining and refilling the transfer case I would have made a sailor blush with my response for $50 pint of fluid and 2 hours at most of labor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2011 has developed this problem. I took it to a BMW specific repair shop and explained the issue(s) (since there was more than 1 thing I was having them look at) and they suggested the transfer case flush and "re-calibration." The total cost for the diagnosis of issues, flush and calibration will be $800 out the door with no guarantee it will fix the issue. This will be the last time I take my vehicle to this specific shop. I haven't looked at the prices for a new/referb TC, but it can't be much more than what they are charging me. They are good people and good mechanics but I can't afford to spend 800 to 2k (water pump) EVERY time I take it there. If I had known how many issues I would have with this vehicle I would never have bought it.
Flush and calibration the TC for $800??? That's way over charged!!! I don't remember exactly how much, but when my car was still under CPO warranty, the dealer replaced the TC for around $1k.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So they do this "Vehicle Health" check when you bring it in. I should have asked how much that costs. I told them what I was bringing it in for so my guess, in my ignorance, didn't realize it would cost so much or anything at all. I will ask when I pick it up.

I asked them to check the glove box and how it opened because I brought it in for a passenger side airbag recall and they said they did the recalls and would order the airbag. I got it back from them and didn't notice it wasn't opening as smoothly as it did before they took the dash out etc. for the replacement bag. They said their work was under warranty and I wasn't too concerned about getting it back to them promptly because it was "under warranty." I was asking about the cost and said the glove box should be free to fix and come to find out they actually sent it to the dealer for the replacement and said the dealer wouldn't fix the glove box because it had been so long. I'm not very happy being told one thing and then another. I was told they will squirt some lube on the actuators to see if it helps but that doesn't make me feel any better...

They also recommended a slew of other things including differential fluid changes running $240/front and $190/rear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So they do this "Vehicle Health" check when you bring it in. I should have asked how much that costs. I told them what I was bringing it in for so my guess, in my ignorance, didn't realize it would cost so much or anything at all. I will ask when I pick it up.

I asked them to check the glove box and how it opened because I brought it in for a passenger side airbag recall and they said they did the recalls and would order the airbag. I got it back from them and didn't notice it wasn't opening as smoothly as it did before they took the dash out etc. for the replacement bag. They said their work was under warranty and I wasn't too concerned about getting it back to them promptly because it was "under warranty." I was asking about the cost and said the glove box should be free to fix and come to find out they actually sent it to the dealer for the replacement and said the dealer wouldn't fix the glove box because it had been so long. I'm not very happy being told one thing and then another. I was told they will squirt some lube on the actuators to see if it helps but that doesn't make me feel any better...

They also recommended a slew of other things including differential fluid changes running $240/front and $190/rear.
Here is a little instruction on brake fluid change from someone's post. I made some changes to it.

1. Remove the cover from the brake fluid reservoir.

2. Remove as much fluid as you can from the reservoir without uncovering the suction.

3. Fill the reservoir to the brim with fresh fluid.

4. Attach the bleeder cap adapter to the reservoir and hook up the Motive Bleeder (need a motive bleeder, you can purchase it on Amazon).

5. Pressurize the bleeder to 20 psi (the original post said 10 psi, but my experience showed that was not enough)

6. Start at the right rear and loosen the bleeder valve on the caliper by making a quarter turn (don't turn too much or air could get in).

7. Watch the level in the reservoir and in your catch bottle you've attached to the bleeding nipple. Don't let the reservoir empty or you'll force air into the system

8. Bleed 1/4 Liter for the right rear, which is more than required. Basically, the volume of the reservoir is likely enough.

9. When finished, slowly depressurize the system and fill the reservoir again. Repeat this procedure for each caliper. Left rear, front right and then left front.

9. Alternately, you can fill the Motive Bleeder once with a few Liters of fresh fluid and can just move from caliper to caliper.

For transfer case fluid change, draining and refilling the TC is not a big deal. However, you need to reset the TC using ISTA+ afterwards. Get a laptop and install ISTA+ (you can find it from the coding forum for free) and a K-DCAN cable

Rear differential fluid change is a piece of cake. However, it takes some work for the front differential fluid change. You need to remove some plastic covers underneath the engine bay on the driver side to gain access to the filler hole. Other than that, it is also easily doable. Good luck!

·
Kevsfun
9 Posts

Have foxwell bmw software on it but can’t find where to reset or ok oil wear message did fluid change on transfer and front and rear diffs came up on the Carly program so brought new scanner I can get to transfer case that’s it under live data car running? Some say it’s just a counter not a sensor! Fluid looked clean on rear and transfer case! Front diff was black! 75-110 red line on diffs and bmw fluid on transfer case thanks novice on computers

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
18 Posts
Transfer case issues are very common on the X5, so am told. Apparently my uneven tyre wear causes the problem. Replaced Tyres and went to get it checked and was told that the tyres need to all be exact the same make and tread if not the transfer case will get damaged again. Also keep checking alignment

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
31 Posts

are you sure foxwell 520 pro work ? because I got 510 ellite it dosen't work on 2012 x5 35i.

·
Registered
174 Posts
are you sure foxwell 520 pro work ? because I got 510 ellite it dosen't work on 2012 x5 35i.
Get the updated Foxwell NT530 - I used ista+ but I’m 99% certain the 530 has the adaptation reset procedure (the interface is a pain in these but its in there somewhere)

2012 E70 X5 N63 50i

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,240 Posts
Transfer case on my 2009 X5 got the infamous skipping every now and then. Very annoying. My 2006 530xi is fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts