BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
Also, just for fun, whats your take on Yellow fogs?
Fog lights turned on during the day: Stupid.:eek:
Fog lights on at night with no headlamps: Stupid and reckless.:mad:
Fog lights on and going more than 30mph or so: Idiotic.:yikes:
Fog lights with Xenons: not stupid, but Useless. (see link: Xenons have more than adequate foreground illumination):dunno:
Yellow Foglights: Ok unless one of the above conditions applies.:angel:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html :thumbup:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Random Helpbot
964 Posts
So the secret to good fogs depends on if they are beamed in the right direction right?
I thought this explanation made better sense than anything else I've ever read: "the light pattern on a good-quality fog light goes straight out at bumper level and down, but not higher than that. . . . The reason for this is that fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead."

http://www.cartalk.com/content/do-fog-lights-work-do-they-help-you-see-through

·
flâneur en cabriolet
922 Posts
Agree with the links and the idea that projecting lower is better.....

I think my fogs helped just recently on a drive through the mountains in heavy fog.

I don't get a lot of fog where I live, but I do use the fogs and just running lights when there is light rain and I don't really need the HIDs...I like the idea that the front is lit (angel eyes and fogs) and the rear is lit (marker lights) and I'm not burning the HIDs for no reason. I want the lights on both ends, not so I can see, but so people can see me.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Agree with the links and the idea that projecting lower is better.....

I think my fogs helped just recently on a drive through the mountains in heavy fog.

I don't get a lot of fog where I live, but I do use the fogs and just running lights when there is light rain and I don't really need the HIDs...I like the idea that the front is lit (angel eyes and fogs) and the rear is lit (marker lights) and I'm not burning the HIDs for no reason. I want the lights on both ends, not so I can see, but so people can see me.
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Euro light switch enabling your rear fogs. I did the rear foglight mod for just the reason you stated. In rain or even light fog, with a gray car, I want people to see me.

·
flâneur en cabriolet
922 Posts
You sound like a perfect candidate for the Euro light switch enabling your rear fogs. I did the rear foglight mod for just the reason you stated. In rain or even light fog, with a gray car, I want people to see me.
That was the first mod I did to my car. I now have lego pieces actually performing a function in my highly engineered german vehicle :)

Yep, drove with the front and rear fogs on, no HIDS...the HIDs were too bright on the fog. In rain, I usually turn on the front fogs (and, therefore, the parking lights) for rear visibility. No sense wasting the HIDs lifespan when you don't need them to see.

Did you see the shots of the fog I drove through on my own little climb through the clouds?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts