BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Read Only
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced of the xenon bulbs on my 99 540i because one of them was starting to act weird.

They were both professionally installed, but i had noticed that the color of the actual light is white.

Does it get more "blue" with burning time?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
The stock HID bulbs on my 2001 530i was Philips 85122. According to this article, they start at 4300K and shift to 5000K after about 100 hours.

do you know which bulbs you have now?

· Read Only
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock HID bulbs on my 2001 530i was Philips 85122. According to this article, they start at 4300K and shift to 5000K after about 100 hours.

do you know which bulbs you have now?
The bulb i got were the "D2S Philips HID bulb 85122" , when i start them from cold, i see a bluish nice color, but then it becomes complete white.

Maybe because they are still new? and it takes time for them to give that nice Blueish xenon color BMW's have?

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Those are stock. You should expect them to perform like stock. That link I posted has details on that specific bulb. It says that after 100 hours of use you can expect them to color shift from 4300K to 5000K. That would be a bit more blue. If you want really blue lights you have to go with different bulbs with a higher color temperature, but I don't know if that would give you better lighting or if it's even legal.

· Constantly Learning
2,156 Posts
I've never seen BMW stock lights described as blue -- they are white. Remember as you increase the blue (kelvin), you are reducing brightness (lumens)

Go to Realoem.com to see what your stock bulbs are. Mine says Osram 35W D2-S.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
... Remember as you increase the blue (kelvin), you are reducing brightness (lumens)...
Except for the new OSRAM Cool Blue Intense which is as bright as the Philips 85122 and has a color temperature of 5000K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.