Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fan Xenons, and I have my 02 330ci waiting for me in Munich. Can NOT wait!

Hey, I ordered bi-Xenons, but still have a question. As I await my ED, I find myself staring down all BMWs and cars with HID/Xenons. One thing I have noticed is that there seem to be different colorations and intensities of the lights. I don't know if it is just me.

Saw a Porsche awhile ago with blazing white lights that looked like they came off a commercial jet. Higher end Mercedes and even Audis have a different look--have seen some very bright Mercedes lights, and notice that some Audis have lights with more of a bluish/purplish tinge.

Not knowing much about the lights, can someone explain the difference? Are colors merely cosmetic, or do they throw more light? Are various intensities available? What happens when a Xenon bulb (if there is one) blows. Is my 02 system upgradable/changable?

Thanks a lot....
Lansing

·
5,820 Posts
I've found the color varies dramatically depending upon the angle you are seeing the oncoming car. I've seen a car with xenons appear yellow, blue and white, that is, all on the same car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Based on postings in the forums, I think a lot of people adjust the aim upwards. I've left mine at the factory settings and have never been "flashed" by other drivers. Also, mine seem bluish when first turned on, but appear more white after they've been on for a while; maybe has something to do with the temperature of the Xenon gas ((???). Xenons on Mercedes always look bluish to me.

Lansing said:
I am a fan Xenons, and I have my 02 330ci waiting for me in Munich. Can NOT wait!

Hey, I ordered bi-Xenons, but still have a question. As I await my ED, I find myself staring down all BMWs and cars with HID/Xenons. One thing I have noticed is that there seem to be different colorations and intensities of the lights. I don't know if it is just me.

Saw a Porsche awhile ago with blazing white lights that looked like they came off a commercial jet. Higher end Mercedes and even Audis have a different look--have seen some very bright Mercedes lights, and notice that some Audis have lights with more of a bluish/purplish tinge.

Not knowing much about the lights, can someone explain the difference? Are colors merely cosmetic, or do they throw more light? Are various intensities available? What happens when a Xenon bulb (if there is one) blows. Is my 02 system upgradable/changable?

Thanks a lot....
Lansing

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
I know a lot of aftermarket Xenon bulbs are rated at higher temperatures (bluer light). There are 6000K & 8000K bulbs that look very blue to oncoming traffic but I believe don't actually illuminate the road any better than the stock xenons on the car. They are mostly for looks. White light will illuminate a road much better than blue light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The temperature of the stock bi-xenon bulbs are at 4300K, which are very close to pure white light (sunlight). you can switch out the bulbs to 6000K bulbs which will give you a bluer light, but will actually not make the bulbs go any further. in fact, the 4300K bulbs will throw the most light...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...good 411

Useful information. ..appreciate it.

Sounds like the 4300K is a very effective and white light. Is it easy to adjust the BiXenons upward slightly to get a slightly larger coverage, even with the auto-leveling feature?

Lansing

20,210 Posts
Re: Wow...good 411

Lansing said:
Useful information. ..appreciate it.

Sounds like the 4300K is a very effective and white light. Is it easy to adjust the BiXenons upward slightly to get a slightly larger coverage, even with the auto-leveling feature?

Lansing
yes--there's a little black dial that you turn to adjust them.

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Wow...good 411

atyclb said:

yes--there's a little black dial that you turn to adjust them.
Annnd, offset from the black dial is a white gear that accepts a hex wrench/ratchet for easier adjustment. Very clever. Not that it's hard to use the dial.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The xenons on your car illuminate just as well as the others. I do prefer Audi's more blue lights although I have not observed a difference in distances of lighting. I had an Audi A6, and from the cabin, its xenons and my current 330i's perform equally.

Of course, if you want to piss people off, then by all means aim your xenons a bit higher like me.

As many other members posted, I, too believe that the color cannot be really determined since it looks different from every angle and height.

BMW has high-quality xenons, and it works for me.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
It's easiest to see the real color of the xenons when you are behind them, after they fully warm up. I really don't like the purplish xenons since they remind me of fluorescent lighting--which gives me headaches. From head on, and especially from ellipsoid headlights, the colors change as the lens acts as a prisim on the edge of the cutoff. Since it's white light you can get a multi color glare/halo when looking right at it. It looks really cool seeing xenons driving down a curvy road.

The 6000k bulbs are actually quite a bit dimmer than the 4300k bulbs. I've lined my car up with a mercedes S class and compared. They are still a lot brighter than halogens, but not as bright as the stock bulbs in my car. The aftermaket 6000k's aren't much better.

The cutoff point is easy to adjust. I have adjusted mine to hit the center of the trunk of a regular midsize car from 20 feet, and it hits just under the rear winshield of cars at 50-100ft when the auto-level adjusts upward for highway driving. The standard cutoff was just too low for the hilly roads that I live by. I have yet to be flashed by anyone for my adjustments.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've heard that the lens design plays a major factor in how the HIDs look. Thats why audi's have that purple look when seen from the side, but dead on, they're white. Bulb temperature is also a factor, but mainly lens design I believe.

my xenons actually turn very white, and arent very blue. They look like bright halogens

1 - 16 of 16 Posts