BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I recently ordered the 2011 x3 28i but forgot to get he xenon light option! I had to cancel my convenience package to avoid the delay associated with the power tailgate and this just slipped through. Now the car has already been produced and is on it's way. All I really care about are the angel eyes which I don't really know if it's a part of xenon option or not. Also if it's exclusive to xenon lights, how can I get them ? Do I have to get a set of new oem xenon lights???( they cost around 2k$!!! And I don't know where to get them beside the dealership )
Or is there a way I can only install the angel eyes on the stock halogen lights?

I would really appreciate any information

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The stock halogen lights do not have the Corona Rings and use the High-beam at reduced output for DRLs. Also, the taillights don't have the thicker LED bands. I don't think the halogen headlight even has a flat "ring" to potentially glue or mount rings.

I don't know what to say. Live with what you have, because retrofitting them is a hugely expensive and complex project. I think you're SOL*.

(*What does this mean? I'm terrible with texting acronyms)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. You kinda told me what I already knew but didn't want to accept!!!
Have you seen the x3 with the stock lights?? How bad is it? Because every where I look online they are always with the xenons!
Also I still haven't taken delivery! So it is not too late I can go to another dealer ( hopefully there are a ton out here) and order another one but the only problem is that I ordered mine when dynamic damper control was part of DHC, they moved it to M sports package (which I hate) and now it has vanished altogether from bmwusa.com!!! I really think that's way more important than xenon lights but if I could get the same options from another dealer do you think it's worth waiting an extra month and order another one since I am buying ? (I am slowly loosing my excitement because I wanted to get this car early march then I had to wait till April for BMW apps and now this.... )

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
This vehicle has no options except for metallic paint and navigation.

I wouldn't count on the BMW USA website being accurate. It tends to be glitchy.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
"S--T Out of Luck", is generally what "SOL" means to me. I know it really should be "SOOL". Anyway that's what we used to call it in the fleet along with a few other things like FUBAR, etc. I only know of one person that actually changed his lights to Xenons and that was in the old X3 (Kenza - from Chile). A lot of others started the project but for whatever reason never reported a completion. I wonder if Ken found it worth the trouble?:rofl:

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm looking to purchase an X3 and I'm surprised at how many vehicles are sitting in dealer lots without xenons. I had xenons on my last three cars and really enjoyed them -- almost felt they were manditory. But now, it seems like to get xenons on an X3 I also need to get a bunch of other packages that I don't want -- seems like they are only coming on cars stickered at $48k+. Does anyone have any driving experience with standard headlights on a new X3?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I'm looking to purchase an X3 and I'm surprised at how many vehicles are sitting in dealer lots without xenons. I had xenons on my last three cars and really enjoyed them -- almost felt they were manditory. But now, it seems like to get xenons on an X3 I also need to get a bunch of other packages that I don't want -- seems like they are only coming on cars stickered at $48k+. Does anyone have any driving experience with standard headlights on a new X3?
Order a vehicle, don't settle for what's on the lot. Xenons can be ordered a la carte for $900 and includes the adaptive lighting control.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You can order xenons as a stand alone option.

I've driven X3 and X5 loaners (first generation) and at least for me the xenon's are a must have.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I understand that I can order it but then I need to get navi and I don't want navi. My comment was more about how I could not find a car on a lot that doesn't have navi but does have xenons.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I understand that I can order it but then I need to get navi and I don't want navi. My comment was more about how I could not find a car on a lot that doesn't have navi but does have xenons.
That's because the general public often cares more about having navigation on a luxury car than xenon headlamps. I don't even think the general public even cares so much about it- rarely do folks test drive at night. This is also why DHP is impossible to easily find on lots.

Rule #1: dealers stock what sells and is in their best interest.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I opted to get the Xenon's for two reasons. First, the corona rings are bright white DRL's and I think it really adds to the daytime look. Second, the Xenon's are adaptive and that eliminates the dark areas on tighter curves. I really like that. I swore up and down years ago that I would never buy Xenon's as an option, but I'm glad I did on the X3.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I opted to get the Xenon's for two reasons. First, the corona rings are bright white DRL's and I think it really adds to the daytime look. Second, the Xenon's are adaptive and that eliminates the dark areas on tighter curves. I really like that. I swore up and down years ago that I would never buy Xenon's as an option, but I'm glad I did on the X3.
I got a sample of zenon's while driving a loaner.
Once I saw the difference it became a must have option for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my 2011 X3 for a couple of months and I don't have the xenons. For the first while it bothered me but I find the stock halogens with fog lights more than ample at night (they are bright relative to other non-xenon cars). Personally, I think people should buy a bimmer for what matters - the way it drives/feels. I know a ton of people on this forum will argue that they bought the xenons for the safety aspect but in many cases I'm sure it's for the look. I don't think this matters much for two reasons 1) there are tons of bimmers on the road with xenons/angel eyes/leds and therefore they don't really stand out anymore (in Toronto anyways); 2) if someone cares that much about looks that having expensive looking lights matters, they should consider getting a sexier car (i.e. sports car) rather than a CUV/SUV.
Sometimes I think a lot of people buy bimmers purely because they are perceived as expensive - perhaps these people should just walk around with hundred dollar bills pasted on their car.
I saved well over $1,000 by not getting these lights and I've used it on more important things (i.e. Pirelli snow tires for next winter).

·
Registered
33 Posts
It depends whether you paid the dealer a deposit and whether he/she would would be friendly enough to seek another buyer for the vehicle you ordered and whether you could wait long enough for a new vehicle...I bought my X3 off the floor with the halogen headlights. (The vehicle was ordered by someone else who eventually didn't take it) The vehicle satisfies me in all other aspects - and I just learned to live with the halogens - which aren't bad at all. I don't know how "adaptive" they are - but when the DRL's go on - they sure swivel from a low-down to a higher position - same way as the Xenon's on my wife's A3. Best regards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
order a new one

Bottom line....if you are posting the question here then it matters enough to you that you'll regret it! If this really didn't matter to you, you'd be excited about your car being on the way not doubing how it will look without the xeons...go back and order something new..

You are spending over 40K for a car...get what you want...and if you are going to keep it who cares about another month to wait...big deal... look at it like this... 8 years from now if you still have the car, the extra month won't matter but every time you drive at night you'll be thinking aboug how you should have gotten what you wanted.

AND...in my opinion, having ANY luxury car should only have xeons...this is 2011 not 2001 when Xeons were somewhat optional. (and let's face it folks...we are in this not only for how it drives etc, but how it looks...) For 900 bucks this is a no brainer....and no you don't need nav or anythign like that...it's a stand alone option and an absolute no brainer so go get it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
xenon has nothng to do with navi. they are two seperate options!
But currently, all ordered cars MUST have navi on them.

I was just hoping to find a car at a dealer with xenon and w/o navi and that was becoming a difficult challenge. I finally found one in TX.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts