BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching a lot its hard to find a straight answer

I would like to through in 6000K HID's into my low beams and fogs, Will this be ok? people mention projectors vs non projector lights and stuff, not sure what mine are but i added these to my maxima and it looks great so wanted to do the same to my 2013 328 F30. Worked about heat too if these get a lot hotter then the stock halogens, will these melt or damage the fog or headlight housing?

looking at something like these (same i uses in Max)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been using DDM Tuning. For 1/3 of the price and add an error adaptor you probably still need to program it for not to check your lightbulb.

HID is older technology. Over time color will drop and not as long life as LED. Why not getting LED?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what I have been watching/reading, the LED output is not as bright, I had the HID ones in the maxima and they were very bright, The LED ones (from videos) people are saying are less bright

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue? ghetto? LOL

they're 6000K, had them in a previous car and they where white, not blue as per the wording also that says "cool white" for color

the right headlight is 6000k, white

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
They may look cool but if you care about lighting performance at all, you will be downgrading the lights.

If you want HID/Xenons you need the proper setup.....ie you need projectors. Slapping an HID kit into a halogen reflector will throw light everywhere and not only is this annoying to oncoming traffic, you lose usable light output in front of you.

Fogs aren't too much of a concern...most people don't know when to properly use them anyway. But I would think again about slapping an HID kit into your current reflector based setup.

A better solution would be to get a high out put halogen bulb in the color temp you want. At least then the light is properly controlled and you also get the white/blueish look without losing usable output.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They may look cool but if you care about lighting performance at all, you will be downgrading the lights.

If you want HID/Xenons you need the proper setup.....ie you need projectors. Slapping an HID kit into a halogen reflector will throw light everywhere and not only is this annoying to oncoming traffic, you lose usable light output in front of you.

Fogs aren't too much of a concern...most people don't know when to properly use them anyway. But I would think again about slapping an HID kit into your current reflector based setup.

A better solution would be to get a high out put halogen bulb in the color temp you want. At least then the light is properly controlled and you also get the white/blueish look without losing usable output.
would this be the same if i used LED vs the xenon HID? Same bad results?

·
Registered
146 Posts
blue? ghetto? LOL

they're 6000K, had them in a previous car and they where white, not blue as per the wording also that says "cool white" for color

the right headlight is 6000k, white
These are glaring like crazy, blinding other drivers, likely illegal, and most importantly they look like sh!t.

Do a proper retrofit with real projector housings. Pay the extra cash and make you car look sexy instead of making it look like low budget rice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you dont have HID comes with your car, I would recommand you to get 6000k LED, it looks much brighter then my 4300/4500k? OEM HID.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
would this be the same if i used LED vs the xenon HID? Same bad results?
LED is slightly better but its still not controlled 100% properly. I would look on forums such as hidplanet.com for output shots of LED units in halogen reflectors

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are glaring like crazy, blinding other drivers, likely illegal, and most importantly they look like sh!t.

Do a proper retrofit with real projector housings. Pay the extra cash and make you car look sexy instead of making it look like low budget rice.
the proper retro would be awesome but I don't want to start ripping bumpers off and **** to get in the headlight housing.

maybe ill go with the LED in the amazon link above or the regular philips that have the look i want, https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Crys...Philips+H7+CrystalVision+Ultra+Headlight+Bulb

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the LED output still looks like crap and blinding with the reflectors that come on my car, I wish i knew how to change it all out properly but i don't want want to start cracking headlight lenses open and figuring out what to do

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are companies that offer drop in projectors if you don't want to retro your existing ones. Or source the OEMs from a wrecking yard. I think may you need a little coding to avoid setting off a dash warning.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts