BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am looking to replace my OSRAM Xenon light bulbs #66145 which are quite dim now and need help deciding what to replace them with because I cannot get any details on it.

I have a choice of OSRAM bulbs 4300kelvin, 5000kelving and 6000kelvin so which to get? I do not want a colored bluish light or a yellowish halogen; just a very bright white light.

Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
322 Posts
factory is 4300k, which should have a tiny hint of yellow. 5000k is white with a very faint hint of blue (not really noticeable. I'd stick with either or. now these colors vary with each brand. just buy aftermarket. cheaper and their lifespan is pretty good and at the same time some aftermarket brands have color samples you can see in their ads which should help with choosing the one you want. check ebay. i bought a 30$ set of 6000k and no problems after 4 years.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
factory is 4300k, which should have a tiny hint of yellow. 5000k is white with a very faint hint of blue (not really noticeable. I'd stick with either or. now these colors vary with each brand. just buy aftermarket. cheaper and their lifespan is pretty good and at the same time some aftermarket brands have color samples you can see in their ads which should help with choosing the one you want. check ebay. i bought a 30$ set of 6000k and no problems after 4 years.
Where did you get them? I've got Osram Syl 4300K and they're a bit too yellow for me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the kind of advice I'm looking for! I am going to go with the 5000k. Yes, I am looking on Eb-y for a pair at $70.00 but wanted to be sure to get the right color.

Thanks,
Ralph

·
Registered
322 Posts
no point of getting branded xenon bulbs anymore and pay that price. most if not all sellers offer 2-3 year warranty and some even offer life time warranty on them. doubt anyone of us will keep our cars for that long so might as well get something priced right and nice looking. $70 is way too much for xenon bulbs imo. i wouldn't pay more than $35 for a set.

if you want white/white id go with 5000k, thats probably the closest youll get in that color range.

i wouldnt go above 6000k if you want to keep it clean with a little color.

here is one i would look at off ebay listing. $17 with 3 year warranty. even if it fails in a year (which i doubt) youve only spent 17$ compaired to $70 and you have 3 years of warranty to get it replaced. normally with replacements you just let them know that its blown and they send out another to you. you dont have to send back the blown bulb.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pharoah. When I do a search it states the bulbs to be compatible but when I enter my vehicle details it states they are not. I've contacted the Seller to have them confirm whether they will work or not.

That is a great heads up though and I'm sure they will work given some of the cross reference numbers are the same cross reference numbers for some that are compatible.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks Pharoah. When I do a search it states the bulbs to be compatible but when I enter my vehicle details it states they are not. I've contacted the Seller to have them confirm whether they will work or not.

That is a great heads up though and I'm sure they will work given some of the cross reference numbers are the same cross reference numbers for some that are compatible.

Ralph
If you look on realoem.com you will find that the bulb is a D1S. That's what you want for your e60 Xenon upgrade. Those are the bulbs that emit maximum light without obscurity on the actual bulbs. The projector housing sets boundaries for light emission.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Ralph
they will work. D1S is for the e60 and even if it's not listed on their ebay page it still will fit just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts