BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ivan
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2003 525i g007923

After living for months with very very poor front lights, yesterday the driver light went out, which revealed a big mess.

My car has xenon lights package, I do not know if the picture confirms this.

AFter some reading and I understand a ballast is needed on each side, to power the xenon bulb. So I went to ask for xenon bulb replacement, and found a big mess courtesy of the previous car owner.

1) The xenon bulb harnesses had been removed to fit (glued with silicon) H4 blue halogen lights on both sides :thumbdwn:, which rendered poor performance, my low beams illuminated only 10 meters ahead at night
2) the h4 bulbs are of more than 35 watts, and the harnesses and wires were toasted, close to create a short circuit. I removed the h4 bulbs and taped the wires taped to avoid any contact, and need to take action now
3) adjusters are broken on both sides, low and high beam lights move loose, some other harnesses are toasted, have to replace them
4) I do not see any ballast on either side, nor see where to hold them, nor cables or harnesses to connect them SEE PICTURES

Since I think this will not be an easy or cheap fix and I want to take proper action, I dare to make these questions, please understand my absolute ignorance on the subject

a):dunno: do I need the ballast or are they hidden in this model? (honest ignorant question, do not flame me)

b)if yes, is it a good idea to buy used ones? or aftermarket ones?

c)were my headlights sets previously replaced and are not for xenon?

d) should I install h7 halogens on the low beam side? (and forget about xenon), i really have not seen how xenon lights perform

e) can i purchase all these parts separately?

thanks

DRIVER SIDE

PASSENGER SIDE

questions

·
5 Door'ing it!
607 Posts
It does not look like you have Zenons. It looks like your adjuster are broken as well. Search your vin at the dealer and see if HIDS where original to your car.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
The decals on the front above the headlights are placed there when xenons are ordered...but there definitely aren't any ballasts present.
Also, if your lights are from 2003 as your car is, you won't be able to easily open them to fix the adjusters.

Edit: the harness isn't different for xenons, the low beam plug simply plugs into the ballast.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not able to answer all your questions but I believe that if you had stock xenons you would have the washer nozzles on your bumper.

I don't think you can fix your adjusters; you can't disassemble the assembly to replace them. You probably need to buy new headlight assemblies.

Previous owner was a retard.

Please clean you engine bay so you can do a proper inspection of the engine. Judging by the headlights, the previous owner may have ruined something else.

Good luck.

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
Not able to answer all your questions but I believe that if you had stock xenons you would have the washer nozzles on your bumper.
My car came stock w/ HIDs (had my VIN decoded) and I dont have the headlight washers.

OP I dont know what to say...that looks like crap. Try to remove your headlight and get the silicone removed and go from there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My car came stock w/ HIDs (had my VIN decoded) and I dont have the headlight washers.
That's interesting. Do you have the stock bumper?

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Headlight washers (in US/Can. at least) were part of the Cold Weather Package...my current E39 has them despite not originally having xenons. I believe that Euro-spec cars had to have them if ordered with xenon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Headlight washers (in N.A. at least) were part of the Cold Weather Package...my current E39 has them despite not originally having xenons.
What's cold weather?:D

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts

·
Ivan
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the vin number on realoem throws the posibility of xenon, the info I had from Tyrone in the forum using my vin g007923 actually shows xenon option S522A XENON LIGHT XENON LIGHT . The dealer ran the vin on his system and gave me a hard copy, which also shows xenon. I have the yellow sticker of 25,000 volts on the assembly on both sides

the engine bay is oily with some dust, the guy that serviced my a/c washed the engine and apparently used oil, and messed all up, have to clean it manually when i find some time

seems there is no direct correlation between washers and xenon lights , after reading on the forum ,seems that the cars sold in mexico are european edition and there are differences to the cars from the usa market

·
Registered
245 Posts
Right, sorry about the washer-xenon connection. Still, from what I've read, the 2003 model headlamps use an adhesive that can't be "baked" open. "Baking" the headlight assembly loosens the adhesive on older model assemblies so they can be taken apart to facilitate adjuster replacement. BUT, since your car is not US spec, this MIGHT not apply. You could always try to bake them to open them up. Do a search and you'll find out how.

You could get aluminum adjusters here:

http://www.eactuning.com/e39-aluminum-headlight-adjusters-p-467.html

If your ballasts are missing you could try to find some on eBay. Maybe they burned out and the previous owner did not feel like spending the cash to replace them, hence the halogen "mod".

The stock headlight assembly id made by Hella and seems to be the highest quality one you can buy, except for the adjuster problem. Unfortunately it is going to cost more to refurbish them back to stock than a new set of lower quality headlights.

It's your call; spend the cash on new ballasts, xenon bulbs, and adjusters (if you can open the assembly) or buy new cheaper headlights like these DEPOs:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/E39_DEPO_Projector39_Headlights_HID_Angel_Eyes_Included-139-26.html

·
Ivan
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
problem identified, now action is needed

I saw the stealership today, I definitely need a lot of stuff to return the headlights to bmw condition, to correct the damage inflicted by the previous owner (fu..er!!!)

they quoted: ballast, bulbs, harnesses, brackets, etc all for nearly $1,800 usd; apart from the problem of the position adjusters which might not be reparable

Considering the current value of the car, $1800 represents 18-20% of its cost, I am questioning myself how smart the investment would be. I am also wanting to change the car for a 530 or 540, I would sell the car improved relative to the as received condition.

here are my options, I will appreciate your opinion and previous experience on either of them:

1) buy 2 used ballast and new xenon bulbs + brackets and harnesses, after seeing prices I estimate $250-300

2) buy a kit of aftermarket which include ballast and xenon bulbs like
$49 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
$119 (premium :yikes: ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

some say low beam HID kit, other say CONVERSION KIT, are they different?

·
Registered
494 Posts
forget ebay, just go to DDM tuning as mnentioned above and order the DJ auto or projector 39 headlights which come with everything you need. The DJ autos have yellow angel eyes where as the P39's can be shipped with CCFL whites. Just make sure the HID color is 4-6K for best lighting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts