Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
US Army Retired
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you probably know this but I didn't, We've had our X3 for 10 months now and I always look to see if the Xenon lights would turn left and right when I turn the steering wheel but I never notice it. I though it was so minimal (15 degrees) that I would'nt notice. The other night I put my light switch on the "Automatic" mode ( we always use the normal mode) and "Voila" they turn so cool that I had to go around the block several times just to see how cool it was. They actually turn with the steering wheel. It's fun just jerking the steering wheel left and right to see them move. :rofl: Ha :rofl: I feel like a kid with a new toy........

·
Registered
485 Posts
lolsss actualli i didnt know it when i bought the car at first but latter my frd noticed it and told me.....AMAZING!!!!! lolsssss

and i also didnt know that i had rain sensor until last weekend when it rained :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
tonymey said:
It's fun just jerking the steering wheel left and right to see them move. :rofl: Ha :rofl: I feel like a kid with a new toy........
I do that everytime I drive down a pitch dark road.:drive:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mystic...considering you did so much on your headlights...

I'm trying to locate the headlight wire...I assume it's under the steering wheel, I want to tap into it but don't know which one.

My dealership said it was green & red...however, when i tested it, it had power the moment the car started. I'm looking for the wire that only has power when the headlights (low beam) is turned on...either manually or auto..

·
Registered
252 Posts
tromar1 said:
Mystic...considering you did so much on your headlights...

I'm trying to locate the headlight wire...I assume it's under the steering wheel, I want to tap into it but don't know which one.

My dealership said it was green & red...however, when i tested it, it had power the moment the car started. I'm looking for the wire that only has power when the headlights (low beam) is turned on...either manually or auto..
I actually don't know which wires activates the low beams. For my angel eyes, I tapped into 1) the accessory line which gets power when you turn the key into the 2nd position (this keeps the AE on when the car is on) and 2) the interior lights which fades in and out when you lock / unlock your car. (this get the AE to fade in and out when you lock / unlock your car)

How much power do you need? Do you need it in the engine bay or inside the car? You can always tap the wires going to the headlight housing. There is about 10 wires going to the headlight connectors. You can test each to see which wire gets power when the low beam comes on. But if you just want power inside the car, you can tap into anylight source that turns on when your headlights (lowbeam) turn on. For example, when I installed my illuminated ///M shift knob, I spliced into the ash tray light for power since the ash tray light turns on when the headlight turns on. So now when my HUD lights up at night, so does my shift knob. :)

BTW I really like what you did w/ your interior w/ the aftermarket NAV and everything. I'm still deciding if I want to go aftermarket or OEM on the NAV.

·
Registered
283 Posts
mysticbluex3 said:
I actually don't know which wires activates the low beams. For my angel eyes, I tapped into 1) the accessory line which gets power when you turn the key into the 2nd position (this keeps the AE on when the car is on) and 2) the interior lights which fades in and out when you lock / unlock your car. (this get the AE to fade in and out when you lock / unlock your car)

How much power do you need? Do you need it in the engine bay or inside the car? You can always tap the wires going to the headlight housing. There is about 10 wires going to the headlight connectors. You can test each to see which wire gets power when the low beam comes on. But if you just want power inside the car, you can tap into anylight source that turns on when your headlights (lowbeam) turn on. For example, when I installed my illuminated ///M shift knob, I spliced into the ash tray light for power since the ash tray light turns on when the headlight turns on. So now when my HUD lights up at night, so does my shift knob. :)

BTW I really like what you did w/ your interior w/ the aftermarket NAV and everything. I'm still deciding if I want to go aftermarket or OEM on the NAV.
Mystic...I couldn't find the post to see if you replied and finally did a searh of my own posts...thanks.

To explain what i'm trying to do: The Avic N2 has a feature that allows the nav screen to change from daylight to night view. The installer never connected the one wire for that function.

After asking my dealership which wire is the headlight wire, they told me to tap into the green & red striped wire for 12v when the car is on, and 0 when not. This works, but I have to manually change the settings on the unit, as opposed to it changing automatically.

Man, I must've layed on my back looking under the steering column trying to figure with wire...I even looked in the ECU and at the back of the headlight...I tried a few by using the tool with the pointed end that's used to test if power is in the wire when the car is on (sorry for not know the correct name)

doesn't matter if in the engine bay or not...I can run wires from the engine by following the path from the ECU because my nav is tapped into the speed sensor.

However, I just ran out to the garage and tested what you posted...that the ashtray light comes on when the headlights are turned on....I will tap into that this week end...that means I have to take out all the crap again...THX

·
Registered
252 Posts
The ash tray light should work for you. I just don't know how much power you will get from it. BTW the tool is called a multimeter :thumbup: Did you have to strip the wire to test it for power or is there multimeters that can test for power w/o striping the wires?

·
Registered
283 Posts
mysticbluex3 said:
The ash tray light should work for you. I just don't know how much power you will get from it. BTW the tool is called a multimeter :thumbup: Did you have to strip the wire to test it for power or is there multimeters that can test for power w/o striping the wires?
I didn't have to strip the wire because the end of my "multimeter" was so pointy...I simply pricked the wire and it provided me with the opportunity to get a result. It had a clip on the end which my neighbor told me to clip unto the neg..frame of the X3. Funny how I can install a headrest monitor...among other things, but don't know the name of the tools...

I would suspect I don't need much power...12v or less. The function is only to change a view from white/daylight background to dark/nightview background.

I can't wait to work on it this weekend if the wife will let me I have been working on stuff this entire past week.

P.s. Your sig looks awesome...I need to upgrade....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hahahaha, I hear you dude, my girlfirend gave me so much crap cause I ignored her for a whole weekend to install my angel eyes.

You should def. get a signature w/ all your entertainment mods. That would be sick. So far I've seen exterior / interior cosmetic mod, audio/entertainment mod. When is someone going to do performance mod on an X3? :dunno: I want to see a supercharged x3 :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts