BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know much about them. Is it the style of the ring that is referred to as Xenon lights, or is that stock on the e90's and the xenon lights are different. I liked the look of the halo, and wanted to make sure I would find a used e90 with them. Was there a certain year BMW started equipping them? Are angel eyes essentially the same thing? The dealership showed me how they work on a 335, with the light following the steering wheel, just a little confused. Thanks

·
No more M
226 Posts
You are describing multiple technologies that BMW uses in their cars:

1. Xenon lights are the "whiter" sometimes bluish looking lights that some cars have. Most BMWs with Xenons all have projector headlights so you will see a sharp cutoff. They are simply just like conventional bulbs, except they are brighter and created to mimic daylight for night time driving. Xenon is a naturally occurring gas.

2. Halos or angel eyes are the rings around the headlights. They serve nothing more than as daytime running lights. There are lots of aftermarket kits that you can retrofit yourself if the car you buy doesn't have them.

3. Adaptive headlights swivel the headlights sideways a certain number of degrees when you turn the steering wheel. There are videos on youtube that demonstrate this well. In addition, some BMWs have auto-leveling headlights that move them up and down

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks a lot, that makes a lot of sense. So I was testing adaptive Xenon headlights. Does anyone know when they started providing the halos as daytime lights? Thanks again.

·
No more M
226 Posts
Its definitely there on the e9x as you said before. I think the e39 5 series had them as well, not sure about anything further back.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
They are simply just like conventional bulbs, except they are brighter and created to mimic daylight for night time driving. Xenon is a naturally occurring gas.
There are two kinds of Xenon lamps. On set is an ordinary lamp filled with Xenon gas. This is not what BMW uses.

HID lamps are an option on current and recent BMWs. Retrofit kits are available but expensive. These are gas discharge lamps. You need a high voltage pulse to start the lamp going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts