BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 335 with adaptive xenon headlights. Last evening I noticed that one of them has turned pink and needs to be replaced. I'll replace the pair and am looking for a recommendation.

FCP Euro sells the BMW-branded OSRAM Xenarc 66140 for $195 each which seems ridiculously high.

My local auto parts stores sell a Sylvania DS1 (which is stamped OSRAM Xenarc on the bottom) for $100 each which also seems high.

I know there are a lot of cheap, poor-quality replacements out there and certainly want to avoid those. I also know that I have to be cautious about fake bulbs.

Amazon has a pair of OSRAM Xenarc 66144 for $87 (Link) which seems like it could be a good option. It's just not clear to me what the difference between 66144 and 66140 is. The listing says, "66144 Model comes w/ 11-digit serial# sticker ONLY | If you need 7-digit TRUST code, view our 66140 Model."

Amazon also has a pair of OSRAM Xenarc CBI 66140 for $110 (Link) which seems like another good option.

Any recommendations or advice? I'm not looking to do anything special. I just want a quality pair of "standard" replacements that'll last and don't cost more than I need to pay.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Amazon has a Philips D1S xenon for $43.00

I used a different size Philips xenon bulb in another car. Those bulbs have about 130k miles on them.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Osram or Phillips. That is it.
Find cheapest on Amazon and check authenticity on their web site after you got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input! I ordered a pair of OSRAM Night Breaker Lasers from Amazon for $140. They arrived earlier today and the TRUST code on the packaging checked out and confirmed their authenticity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi. if you want blueish/purewhite colour , then go with the osram xenarc cool blue intense (the cool blue boost are even more blueish , but they are not roal legal at least in EU).
If you want performance though, but with a slightly more yellowish tone. go for the nighbreaker laser from osram. i have both , i use the blue ones cause i like the way they illuminate the signs on the road. but the nightbreaker ae deffinetely better if you want to actually see in the night, especially in rain and fog situations , way , way better

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input! I ordered a pair of OSRAM Night Breaker Lasers from Amazon for $140. They arrived earlier today and the TRUST code on the packaging checked out and confirmed their authenticity.
What color temperature are those?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you. That's a reasonable color.
dont let the number fool you though. the 4500k that the nightbreakers are advertised , is a bit more yellowish than the stock philips that my 335 had. they are rated at 4300k . so if you re one of us who do not like yellowish colour , you ll be dissapointed. yes , they illuminate hell lot better than the cool blue intense (even better than the offroad cool blue boost arguably) , but you wont get the white xenon experience from the nightbreaker laser. i have tested both of them and i can verify it.

One thing to be noted is :if you have the whitish xenon from factory , with a matched white angel eyes setup (i say it cause i see quite a lot xenon bmws , that have yellowish angel eyes , despite that the light colour is indeed white on the actual lamp. then the nightbreaker will be closer to the stock colour of the philips or original xenarc lamps from osram. that means they will also match your angel eyes better.
I did decide to go with the cool blue intense in the end, cause of the blueish glow , but i must say , even though i had the feeling that my angel eyes are crystal white with the stock lamps and the nightbreakers , they seem kind of yellowish now , when they illuminate together with the cool blue intesne lamps.

and one last thing. on the market you can find : osram nightbreaker lamps. and osram nightbreaker LASER (usualy it is wrriten that they illuminate +200% more light) i think for the older version it was up to 170% or smthing. maybe 140 . but you need the LASER version with the +200% more brightness , thats the one i can verify that works great at least. the only drowback (not drowback for everyone ofcourse) is the slight yellowish glow.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
dont let the number fool you though. the 4500k that the nightbreakers are advertised , is a bit more yellowish than the stock philips that my 335 had. they are rated at 4300k . so if you re one of us who do not like yellowish colour , you ll be dissapointed. yes , they illuminate hell lot better than the cool blue intense (even better than the offroad cool blue boost arguably) , but you wont get the white xenon experience from the nightbreaker laser. i have tested both of them and i can verify it.

One thing to be noted is :if you have the whitish xenon from factory , with a matched white angel eyes setup (i say it cause i see quite a lot xenon bmws , that have yellowish angel eyes , despite that the light colour is indeed white on the actual lamp. then the nightbreaker will be closer to the stock colour of the philips or original xenarc lamps from osram. that means they will also match your angel eyes better.
I did decide to go with the cool blue intense in the end, cause of the blueish glow , but i must say , even though i had the feeling that my angel eyes are crystal white with the stock lamps and the nightbreakers , they seem kind of yellowish now , when they illuminate together with the cool blue intesne lamps.

and one last thing. on the market you can find : osram nightbreaker lamps. and osram nightbreaker LASER (usualy it is wrriten that they illuminate +200% more light) i think for the older version it was up to 170% or smthing. maybe 140 . but you need the LASER version with the +200% more brightness , thats the one i can verify that works great at least. the only drowback (not drowback for everyone ofcourse) is the slight yellowish glow.
Good points. I'm more interested in lighting as much of the roadway as possible. The warmer color temperatures seem better at that than the colder ones which produce an eye catching color.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
if you look at the specs, the 200% is probably compared to halogen. the light output is 3200 lumens which is the same as the stock bulbs. an H7 halogen bulb outputs 1600 lumens

• Up to 200% more brightness compared to the minimum legal standard

the wattage is driven by the ballast, so unless you change the ballast to a 50W, 3200 lumens is pretty much the max. this has been the case since the D2S days. higher color temp looks brighter due to color, but isnt. there's no filament to draw more current, its an arc in a quartz glass tube. if you want more light you need to push more power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you look at the specs, the 200% is probably compared to halogen. the light output is 3200 lumens which is the same as the stock bulbs. an H7 halogen bulb outputs 1600 lumens

• Up to 200% more brightness compared to the minimum legal standard

the wattage is driven by the ballast, so unless you change the ballast to a 50W, 3200 lumens is pretty much the max. this has been the case since the D2S days. higher color temp looks brighter due to color, but isnt. there's no filament to draw more current, its an arc in a quartz glass tube. if you want more light you need to push more power.
you are completely correct. but the difference from the nightbreaker laser and the standar xenarc lamps from osram , to the naked eye is quite impressive. and i know bmw equips its cars with either standard osram xenarc or the philips equivelant , like mine were phillips. i think the way it is achieved is not so much important , but the outcome is that the nightbreakers are indeed very powerfull and they illuminate not only better , but also in longer distance like in the picture from the posts above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts