BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had problems with poor visibility at night on my 03 745i, so decided to try some new D2S HID Xenon Bulbs as was told the original bulbs last approx 6 / 7 years before the Gas starts to run out.
Put new bulbs in - What a difference! - Like new again!
Easy to Fit - you do not need to remove bumper, but you do need to remove the Air Filter Box to access the Right Hand Bulb. :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
got pics?:eeps:

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Almost all xenon bulbs change hue to more of a blue (called colorshifting) after 75-200 hours of use. Some bulbs like the Philips D2S bulbs do not colorshift. When the bulb colorshifts, the light output (lumen) decreases. Your new bulbs will be nice and bright for a bit, then they will change more to a blue and decrease slightly.

·
The White Knight
648 Posts
Have had problems with poor visibility at night on my 03 745i, so decided to try some new D2S HID Xenon Bulbs as was told the original bulbs last approx 6 / 7 years before the Gas starts to run out.
Easy to Fit - you do not need to remove bumper, but you do need to remove the Air Filter Box to access the Right Hand Bulb. :)
I tried to remove the air filter box but there's a notch on the bottom that wont budge?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where did you purchase the bulbs from? One of my Xenons just went out. Is there DYI instructions somwhere as to how to change the bulb?:dunno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got mine from Autobulbs.com, but it's a UK site. Most Bulb Suppliers will supply them at a cost of around $100 for the pair.

Changing them is reasonably easy as the bulbs are held in the same as a conventional bulb, but make sure the power is off or you'll have 25,000 volts up you hand:cry:

The connector which attaches to the bulb is labeled with arrows to open and close. When you open the connector the wiring will be ejected from the connection box automatically. You must refit and close the connector before you can reconnect the wiring plug. (I guess it's a safety feature)

Make sure you don't touch the bulb glass or the Igniter wire or the new bulbs will not last very long!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I thought my bulb was bad it was purple then flickered now is out and I get the low beam malfunction error. I was told it was the bulb but at BMW the last visit I had them check it and they said its the control module and want 3 hours to install it. Is that the ballast? they said the bumper has to be removed to install this does that sound right to you guys?

·
The White Knight
648 Posts
I thought my bulb was bad it was purple then flickered now is out and I get the low beam malfunction error. I was told it was the bulb but at BMW the last visit I had them check it and they said its the control module and want 3 hours to install it. Is that the ballast? they said the bumper has to be removed to install this does that sound right to you guys?
It sounds right that the bumper must be removed in order to remove the headlight to access the ballast but why should take BMW techs 3 hours to do what some members do in under an hour?

·
bmw addiction
7,161 Posts
i paid a local bodyshop $100 to take the bumper off and put it back on when i changed the AE bulbs

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yeah he works on the Tony Stewert team I think! I guess i'll give it a shot the 600.00 at the dealer is killing me for a light out

·
Registered
291 Posts
i believe the dealer charges .7 hr when replacing the Xenons blubs.
that's what they did for my burned blub but under warrenty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing, turned purple for a while, flickered for some time, and went out. So it might be the ballast? The only way to know is to pay stealership for diagnosis? Or to buy the bulb, replace and see what happens? I have CPO warranty, would that cover it?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing, turned purple for a while, flickered for some time, and went out. So it might be the ballast? The only way to know is to pay stealership for diagnosis? Or to buy the bulb, replace and see what happens? I have CPO warranty, would that cover it?
I was told it was acontrol module but they would not say that was the ballast they are pretty smooth when it comes to answering questions. I get the feeling they know I'm fishing so I can do it myself but what the hell i paid for the diag. CPO "should" cover it let us know

·
Registered
907 Posts
Since it's wise to replace both bulbs and the igniter has to come off first - you can swap the igniters to see if the side with the working low beam works with the igniter from the light thats out. Same with the bulb but you'll see the discoloration in the bad one once you take it out. Passenger side would be the harder of the two to access due to the intake filter and housing but a couple clamps to un-do before the MAF, two clamps for to un-do the filter, two torx to un-do the filter house and two more torx to un-do the coolant catch so you can gain room to wiggle the filter housing out. Clear as mud?

E

·
Registered
850 Posts
Since it's wise to replace both bulbs and the igniter has to come off first - you can swap the igniters to see if the side with the working low beam works with the igniter from the light thats out. Same with the bulb but you'll see the discoloration in the bad one once you take it out. Passenger side would be the harder of the two to access due to the intake filter and housing but a couple clamps to un-do before the MAF, two clamps for to un-do the filter, two torx to un-do the filter house and two more torx to un-do the coolant catch so you can gain room to wiggle the filter housing out. Clear as mud?

E
See thats where they lost me BMW told me the bumper HAS to come off for the control unit, is this the same thing as an igniter and ballast? because I was under the impression I could swap the bulbs without removing the bumper and if the ballast has to come off to change the bulb than why would they say the bumper has to be removed?:dunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.