BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think Xenons are worth the price? I have Xenons on my Opel Omega company car and they are nice and bright. I have heard that the Eurospec cars (like my Opel)always have brighter Xenons than American spec. I am not sure I should order them with my E90 if they are going to be less bright than what I currently have. Any E46 owners with Xenons have an opinion?

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I have two e46s, one with and one without. In the dark roads where I live (full of deer), Xenons win hands down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
voltron1011 said:
Do you think Xenons are worth the price? I have Xenons on my Opel Omega company car and they are nice and bright. I have heard that the Eurospec cars (like my Opel)always have brighter Xenons than American spec. I am not sure I should order them with my E90 if they are going to be less bright than what I currently have. Any E46 owners with Xenons have an opinion?
I agree with the previous post. I owned an e46 with Xenons and, on dark country roads, there was no comparison. I just ordered them again on my e90.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
voltron1011 said:
worth it and standard on e90 330is!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm considering whether to add these as well... but actually, I don't even do very much night driving, almost never out in the country, places that are really dark. So by that factor, it probably would not be worth it for me (I know, I know, resale value... but would it have a >$500 impact on that?). On the shallow side, I am wondering if the external look would be very different with/without the xenons. Anyone got any info/pics re. that?

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
eimSD said:
I'm considering whether to add these as well... but actually, I don't even do very much night driving, almost never out in the country, places that are really dark. So by that factor, it probably would not be worth it for me (I know, I know, resale value... but would it have a >$500 impact on that?). On the shallow side, I am wondering if the external look would be very different with/without the xenons. Anyone got any info/pics re. that?
ah, just get a 330i and then you'll get em standard. :thumbup:

And you live in SD, don't you ever go to like the wild animal park? my god those roads at night are insanely fun. or late night jaunts up to mountains or desert? fun, fun, fun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
ah, just get a 330i and then you'll get em standard. :thumbup:

And you live in SD, don't you ever go to like the wild animal park? my god those roads at night are insanely fun. or late night jaunts up to mountains or desert? fun, fun, fun.
Well, getting the 330i would be pushing the budget too far for me... even just getting the premium package on the 325i is pushing it more than I probably should (I'm paying cash, not financing/leasing, don't have the financial means to pile on all the options I might like... I'm combining the purchase with a trip to Europe for my family of 4, am looking at more than $4K in airfares (yes, even with the Lufthansa 2 for 1), a weeks hotel bills in Paris, plus all the other expenses... luckily I have relatives in Germany I'll be staying with for part of the trip. ). Yeah, we go to the wild animal park, usually during the daytime though. Go to Julian (via Ramona), but again, not usually at night. Guess I'm more of a morning person than a night owl... but who knows, maybe when I have a fun new car, I'll be looking for more of those fun night-time experiences. :)

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
voltron1011 said:
I am not sure I should order them with my E90 if they are going to be less bright than what I currently have. Any E46 owners with Xenons have an opinion?
Well, I am not sure I uderstand why you would not get them, even assuming they're less bright than those on your Omega. Because either way, they're much brighter than the regular halogens - so unless you want really dim, get them.

A high performance car requires high performance lighting. At night, lights are the most important safety device.

I had Euro halogens on my 98 M3 and currently have US Xenons on my 03 330i. To my eyes, the beam pattern is almost identical, but the brightness is several notches up on the Xenons.

After living with Xenons for the past 2 years, I would never buy a car without them.

Hope this helps...

adc
03 330 ZHP

·
Registered
507 Posts
I heard that Euro spec's Xenon requires self leveling, but not a must in North American. IF it is true, it may be the reason wy Euro spec's Xenon could be brighter.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
Current Xenons (e46) are self leveling in the US. I think the new ones are too.

In terms of the look, in the day time the xenons look cooler as they have that neat old 5 series style of putting a light ring around the lights even when they are not on. Am I describing this right?

Ahh, a picture is worth a thousand words. This is the current 5, but you get the idea. Note the ring of light around each light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh yeah

Xenons are a must for me! After having Xenons for a couple of years, I don't think I'll buy another car without them.

They are great at night and I agree, they look cool during the day.

·
2,457 Posts
Voltron is from Germany, where they are not likely to be standard on the 330, as they are here.

That said, I'd have 2 e46's. One with xenon and the other without. Xenon's are so much better... no comparison at all.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LarryN said:
Voltron is from Germany, where they are not likely to be standard on the 330, as they are here.

That said, I'd have 2 e46's. One with xenon and the other without. Xenon's are so much better... no comparison at all.
Actually, I am getting a US spec 325 here through the Military Sales. I went ahead and put them on the order form last night (as well as SP). I know I would have been kicking myself later if I didn't get them. :mad: I don't want to make any compromises with this car!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bling Factor

It depends on where you live. I rarely need even regular high beams where I live and use my headlights mostly so my car can be seen by others rather than to "light up the road."
In urban and suburan areas, I think Xenons are wanted mostly for looks and "bling factor." The whiter light just looks cooler than normal lights and everyone knows you paid alot of money for the very expensive Xenons.
If you live or often drive in some rural area with unlit dark roads where deer randomly jump into the road, then that's different

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
voltron1011 said:
Actually, I am getting a US spec 325 here through the Military Sales. I went ahead and put them on the order form last night (as well as SP). I know I would have been kicking myself later if I didn't get them. :mad: I don't want to make any compromises with this car!
Good choice voltron. I drive in the country a lot at night, and the xenons make a HUGE difference. They are the one of the prime reasons I bought the BMW. The 325i in Canada they are standard, with the heated washers, also a must have in the winter.

·
...worked on the railroad
1,054 Posts
Blax said:
I have two e46s, one with and one without. In the dark roads where I live (full of deer), Xenons win hands down.
Tell the truth, Blax, tell the truth...many's a night that I've gone through Cow Country, er, The San Bernardino County Agricultural Preserve, to duck the traffic on the 91 Freeway, and I kick myself for not getting the xenons, all the better to see any bovines that could be on the road (so I could steer :slap: around them in time!) If a deer can total your car, imagine what a good-sized cow could do!

Oh, I could put them on, but I'm beginning to save for the next Bimmer (or possibly a Corvette :eeps: :angel: :p )

·
Registered
401 Posts
i currently drive a mazda 3 with xenons. not they arent the same as bmws with the self leveling but i cant live w/o xenons.

this especially applies whne it rains. makes it easier to see the lines and road for me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Current ride does not have HID's (If Honda put xenons on the V-6 Accord, then who'd buy an Acura?). I've driven with them on several late model Bimmers and gotta tell you, they are a must for me in the next car I buy. I'm only 40, but you'd be amazed how much nighttime vision you lose compared to when you were 16 (I think it's you need 5X more light at 40, 10X more at 50). Anyway, love 'em, want them and can't wait to try adaptive :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts