BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Freude am Diesel Fahren !
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the xi, so I found the answer to this question in the Wall Street Journal to be interesting.

But more importantly, what to the folks who use the 535xi think?

And finally, should we set up a forum for the cross-model -X-drive ?

I would really appreciate seeing both 335xi and 535xi folks sharing their experiences.

I'd rather read your comments than see responses in the WSJ.

And takers ? :dunno:

ME & MY CAR By JONATHAN WELSH

Q: I recently purchased a BMW 535xi with high-performance run-flat tires. It seems that the recommendation is to change to snow tires in the winter. If I do happen to get caught in the snow with the high performance tires am I dead?
-- Richard D. Lownes Jr., Bryn Mawr, Pa.

A: Not necessarily dead, but possibly stranded in a snow bank and almost certainly white-knuckled if you do make it to your destination. Of course, your car's performance will vary depending on the tires' tread depth as well as the depth and characteristics of the snow. But the bottom line is that even with all-wheel drive you may have trouble controlling your vehicle especially on inclines.
I recall a 2003 ice storm during which I slid slowly backwards down a gentle hill in a Porsche Cayenne. Using the front tires like rudders (poor ones), I narrowly missed a minivan that was already lodged in a snowdrift. The SUV's summer tires were close to useless on the thin layer of ice that coated the roads.
I think the best advice is to buy a set of snow tires mounted on a second set of wheels. That way you can swap them easily without mounting and dismounting the tires. If a snowstorm catches you before you get around to buying the snow tires, your best bet is to find a snow plow or sand-spreading truck that is headed in the right direction and follow it – but not too closely.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
The answer is absolutely correct. High performance summer tires are designed to withstand a lot of heat. As a result, they turn into something that resembles hard plastic in the cold. They have very poor performance in the snow, to the point of being very dangerous. AWD cannot correct this problem.

If you have summer tires (i.e. the high performance 18" and 19" tire that come with the sport package) you need to get a set of snow tires for winter use.

The alternative is to not get the high performance tires, and stick with the all seasons that come standard. These tires are a compromise, and give up some simmer and winter performance as a result.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. That is what I was looking for.

Two things I am certain that I will never see on a thread are studded tires or chains for the hp RFT.

In fact, I've never heard anyone mention chains for winter driving at all. I did see a post about CALTRAN requirements - and experienced that with non-bimmer AWD vehicle crossing the Siskiyou Mountain one winter.

And if I did get RFT set and the standard M+S set, what else would I need when switching out the tires/wheel? Besides a full size spare and jack for travel...

...and a sturdy floor jack for the multiple lifts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 535xi with the 18" wheels has the same size wheels all around instead of the mixed setup in the 535i. The wide rear runflat tire on the i is only available in a summer tire. The front or all tires on the xi are available in all-season tires too. Tire Rack lists the Pirelli P Zero Nero as ultra high performance all-season runflat, and a couple of other brands: Goodyear, Bridgestone that are available for that smaller 8" wide 18" wheel. That might be a solution to your dilemma.

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
Note:
The 535xi with style 124 18" wheels has larger rear wheels in sedan form and the same size in wagon form. All are runflats. You get all season non-runflats with the 17"s.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok, now with two different sizes on the 535xi, they can't rotate them ? Low profile do not need rotation ?

Or do they last long enough to rotate?

Not being totally facetious after reading some of the posts about wear...

Checked out the Pirelli PZN. From the reviews, they look very good.

I'm starting to reconsider and get the Sport Pkg now. Most concern is getting over the obstacles they create on our freeway system up here. Our Nickel at Work!

·
Registered
554 Posts
..... High performance summer tires ..... have very poor performance in the snow, to the point of being very dangerous. AWD cannot correct this problem .....
I'll second this, emphatically!

My first X-Drive sedan was a previously owned car where the (non BMW) dealer put on new tires prior to me purchasing it. I found out the hard way, the first time I drove it in the snow, they were summer performance tires- you should not drive on those in the snow.

My subsequent X-Drives have had all-season tires.

Thanks
Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts