BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Placing an order for a 335 - thoughts on xi vs. RWD? How much performance do you lose? Live in NYC so don't necessarily do too much driving in the snow. I know I've seen a thread that discusses this, but can't find it anymore.

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
You definitely lose performance with a 328xi vs 328i, but with the power of the 335 either i or xi will be impressive! You lose 1-2 mpg with xi.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you don't care about the mpg difference (xi would be slightly lower than RWD) and also don't mind high gas price, RWD should be good enough... thinking not much driving in ice or slow conditions...

you are in NYC so... if you do a lot of in-city driving, all those stop and goes... :thumbdwn:

p.s. i would just stick to public transportation in the city since it's fairly accessible compare to other states like CA... (taxi, subway..) and just use the 335 to go-out of city drivings.. but.. i don't know your situation so.. just my opinion.. :dunno:

·
jertronic
236 Posts
I am taking delivery of a 328xi this week. I owned a rwd 328 (1999) and an awd 325xi (2002). After a winter like we just went through I could not imagine not having xi. Keep in mind that I drive 80 miles per day M-F so your needs might be different. I like the xi. If I lived in say Philly or D.C. I would get the rwd. Good luck

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
Placing an order for a 335 - thoughts on xi vs. RWD? How much performance do you lose? Live in NYC so don't necessarily do too much driving in the snow. I know I've seen a thread that discusses this, but can't find it anymore.
Are you serious that you couldn't find a thread about this? I call bull$hit, run a search. This has been overdiscussed.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Please run a search, as this has been oft-discussed. My opinion: stick with the rear-drive.

·
Registered
466 Posts
xi. Unless you have another winter ride, you will appreciate it during the few snowstorms or if you go the the mountains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I disagree with that statement. Some enthusiasts would flip **** if BMW only offered AWD. RWD is the heart and soul of BMW. Just look at the M series. If anything, AUDI should have standard AWD (Quattro). Who wants an upscale/luxury FWD car? It all depends on your needs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.