BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to buy an xi with the sports package, would I be able to get around in the winter? Or, would I still have to swap out the rims and tires? I think the 330xi with the sports package comes with 18 inch rft. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I would check to see if anyone has experience with this setup.

I would like to trade my car in for something that would work well all season and buy a porsche or vette for the weekends. The Z06 in Atomic Orange is starting to grow on me. I love the 911 turbo, but it is over $100k. I would be ashamed to spend that much on a car. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
The XI cars come with all-season tires. You can get an option for around $300 to get the summer tires. If you get summer tires you'd need/want to swap them out for all-seasons or winter tires when there is snow. Otherwise you can probably do fine with all-seasons year round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I think commander_crash is correct, the bigger wheels are all season tires, extra $ will get you the 162 w/ summer tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
330soon2b said:
If I were to buy an xi with the sports package, would I be able to get around in the winter? Or, would I still have to swap out the rims and tires? I think the 330xi with the sports package comes with 18 inch rft. I am pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I would check to see if anyone has experience with this setup.

I would like to trade my car in for something that would work well all season and buy a porsche or vette for the weekends. The Z06 in Atomic Orange is starting to grow on me. I love the 911 turbo, but it is over $100k. I would be ashamed to spend that much on a car. Thanks!
I have an 06 330xi without the sport package. As I wasn't all that interested inthe sports suspension, sport steering wheel and lousy rims that came with the xi sport package, I opted out of it. Upgrading to the optional wheels is an additional cost that you also have to swap the wheels, store them etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
ckm1515 said:
I have an 06 330xi without the sport package. As I wasn't all that interested inthe sports suspension, sport steering wheel and lousy rims that came with the xi sport package, I opted out of it. Upgrading to the optional wheels is an additional cost that you also have to swap the wheels, store them etc.
There is no sports suspension on the xi, the sport package on the xi gets your seats, steering wheels and rims/tires, the suspension on the sport and non sport xi is the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
The sport package is around $900 on the xi since the x models have their own unique suspension.. The 18" wheels size 162s are another $600 if I recall correctly. If you get these 18" wheels with summer tires, you will need to get a set of winter tires in the northeast. If you do not opt for the optional 18" wheels, you get 17" A/S RFT's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
I drove my 330xi with the 162 style rims in the 2006 blizzard. Not sure what you guys are taking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
moviebumm said:
I drove my 330xi with the 162 style rims in the 2006 blizzard. Not sure what you guys are taking about.
OMBD1 on this forum once explained it like this:

"summer tires in winter were explained here once like this...

take a pencil eraser.. drag across paper... this is summer tire traction in summer
wet the pencil eraser... or not, to simulate wet or dry conditions...put it in the freezer... re-drag across the paper...this is a summer tire when the temp drops...

different rubber, not just tread. Summer rubber is a roller blade in the winter. wheels are chaeper than fenders. Get a set of winter rubber."

Snow is not an issue- but if you hit an ice patch, black ice, freezing rain, etc., you're toast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Finamir said:
The sport package is around $900 on the xi since the x models have their own unique suspension.. The 18" wheels size 162s are another $600 if I recall correctly. If you get these 18" wheels with summer tires, you will need to get a set of winter tires in the northeast. If you do not opt for the optional 18" wheels, you get 17" A/S RFT's
There is no sports suspension on the xi, the sport package on the xi gets your seats, steering wheels and rims/tires, the suspension on the sport and non sport xi is the same.
What Finmar and coppertone said. :thumbup:

The suspension is the same, but the xi has more steel in it which seems to be a little firmer.

I drove my 330xi with the 162 style rims in the 2006 blizzard. Not sure what you guys are taking about.
Sir, you are one crazy dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
ckm1515 said:
I have an 06 330xi without the sport package. As I wasn't all that interested inthe sports suspension, sport steering wheel and lousy rims that came with the xi sport package...
This is why you have to be careful of what people post. :rofl:

The xi does not have the sports suspension.

I doubt this guy ever saw an xi with the sports package in person. :rolleyes:

There are non on the dealers lots.

I highly recommend the sports package.

The wheels are very nice looking and easy to clean.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
RGRAY said:
This is why you have to be careful of what people post. :rofl:

The xi does not have the sports suspension.

I doubt this guy ever saw an xi with the sports package in person. :rolleyes:

There are non on the dealers lots.

I highly recommend the sports package.

The wheels are very nice looking and easy to clean.
Saw it in person before I bought caer and still think the rims are lousy - hence, thats why BMW has different wheels available - just a matter of taste. My bad on the sports suspension comment but as far as seat bolsters, steering wheel and the rims, didn't feel like it was worth it. Now, a sports package on the new 335 would absolutely be worth it or you will be doing a disservice to you car and the vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
ckm1515 said:
Saw it in person before I bought caer and still think the rims are lousy - hence, thats why BMW has different wheels available - just a matter of taste. My bad on the sports suspension comment but as far as seat bolsters, steering wheel and the rims, didn't feel like it was worth it...
I'm VERY surprised you got to see it first, but like you said wheels are a matter of taste.

BMW does not offer different wheels for the xi; only the high performance 18 inch wheels and they REQUIRE the sports package.

The sports package only cost $900 ($820 dealer invoice).

IMO, the sports seats are worth that. :yikes:

It's whatever you like. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
RGRAY said:
I highly recommend the sports package.

The wheels are very nice looking and easy to clean.
I wasn't too sure about these wheels when I first saw pictures, but they look so much better in person and now I wouldn't want any other wheel. Nice looking, easy to clean, and very unique.
 

·
Tar Heel Faithful
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
There's a 330xi with sport in my dealer's showroom, and I think those rims look very nice. Plus they're bold yet easy to clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
Darrel Revok said:
I wasn't too sure about these wheels when I first saw pictures, but they look so much better in person and now I wouldn't want any other wheel. Nice looking, easy to clean, and very unique.

There's a 330xi with sport in my dealer's showroom, and I think those rims look very nice. Plus they're bold yet easy to clean.
They certainly don't look "lousy".
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
RGRAY said:
This is why you have to be careful of what people post. :rofl:

The xi does not have the sports suspension.

I doubt this guy ever saw an xi with the sports package in person. :rolleyes:

There are non on the dealers lots.

I highly recommend the sports package.

The wheels are very nice looking and easy to clean.
Yes you do need to be careful of what people post. Maybe in your area there are no XI with sports package but to state that there are "non" on the dealers lots and that "this guy" never saw one is assinine. The dealer here pretty much only stocks XI's, you must special order just the I's and they have them with both the sport package and without. In fact test driving an XI with the sports package made me realize that I wanted it. I figured that since the suspension was no different that I didn't want it, but man are those seats nice.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
chrisinvermont said:
Yes you do need to be careful of what people post. Maybe in your area there are no XI with sports package...
Did you post this just to argue?

I'm tired of arguing.

Your right. :)

You will LOVE your car.

How do you like the wheels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
My thoughts

I enjoy reading Bimmerfest and I have learned a lot from the helpful suggestions. The one area I have confusion over is the argument with i and xi and snow tires, all season tires and summer tires. Now I am discussing this for people who live in areas where they actually get a fair amount of snow and for reasonably long periods of time. living in Northern Ontario, Canada, we may have snow conditions from October to March. Usually, Jan, Feb and March are the worst for driving. My thoughts are: When purchasing a BMW and with all of the options I read many people purchase and they discuss them as a $900.00 option being worth it and so on. I cannot believe a person who lives in conditions such as I do, would not purchase a good set of snow tires regardless of being an i or xi. I do not understand the argument for not getting snow tires. One trip to the ditch and a small scratch will certainly outweigh the cost of snow tires. This is not to open an argument. I simply believe we are all spending a good deal of money on our vehicles which we are all proud of. Why would we not opt for the snow tires in snow regions. These are my thoughts in 44 years of driving in snow country. Out of all the vehicles I have driven, the xi so far is the best in the snow. Yes, I do have snow tires for the winter. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
Storm7 said:
One trip to the ditch and a small scratch will certainly outweigh the cost of snow tires.
Snow tires will improve any car's handling in the snow. However, cars and SUVs normally end up in a ditch because the idiot behind the wheel was driving too fast.

In New England, the snow gets cleared prettty quickly but many people get AWD just so they can get up their (often unpaved and possibly unplowed) driveway.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top