BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I use the button in the footwell, the tailgate opens fine however when I use the button on the key, I can't quite get the hang of it. Sometimes the lid will release but not fully open unless I push the button a second time. If the cover is closed, it will open too but if I hold it too long, the alarm goes off. The dealer said I need to hold it for a few seconds however I don't know why it's not fully opening after releasing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have an E91 328iT. The rear hatch is not automatic (e.g. powered lift/close). But, I think the basic design of open/close operation is similar. Here's how it works for my Touring...

When opening the rear hatch door (not the window part) from the outside (e.g. at the hatch door), you press the "rubberish" button and pull the hatch up.

If you push the button just once, then the cargo cover does not retract. If you push the button twice, or hold it a bit longer, then the cargo cover retracts. That is how it works with my E91 328iT. And, I belive that was the intended design/engineering.

The same idea applies to the key button and also to the footwell button inside the car.

Now, if you only open the window part of the hatch, which can only be done manually from the outside, the cargo cover retracts every time.

Hope this helps.

When I use the button in the footwell, the tailgate opens fine however when I use the button on the key, I can't quite get the hang of it. Sometimes the lid will release but not fully open unless I push the button a second time. If the cover is closed, it will open too but if I hold it too long, the alarm goes off. The dealer said I need to hold it for a few seconds however I don't know why it's not fully opening after releasing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. My question is not about the cargo cover but the operation of the tailgate itself. Sometimes it just releases but does not fully open unless I press the button on the key a second time.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Thoughts?
I have the same issue you describe. The cargo cover will often release without the tailgate going up. Often, I have to press the release button on the key a second or third time to get the tailgate to go up.

I had my dealer look at it and they said it was due to the key not being held down long enough. My argument was that if it was held down long enough to release the cargo cover, the tailgate should go up. They adjusted the lock but it did nothing to solve the problem.

My bet is that it is software related as I did not have this problem when I got the car. This issue has crept in since I got Progman 25. Maybe with BMW monitoring these boards the message will get back to the mother ship and they can have a look at this issue for us touring owners.

·
BMWcoholic
388 Posts
I have the same issue as well.

Most times it takes a couple stabs at the button on the key fob to open the tailgate. 1 out of 10 times the cargo cover will open. I've also noticed this only since progman 25 as well. I also noticed a drop in performance of the vehicle and a few flat spots in the power that weren't there before. I reluctantly got progrman 25 after the hillholder/start assist failed. It seems to have added a few new quirks to an otherwise great car.

Does anyone know if there is any new software out yet?

A new thing the other day was that it reset itself as to the opening height of the tailgate - I discovered this by smacking my head into it.:mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's beginning to sound like a software problem. I'm taking the car in friday for a scheduled brake fluid change and will let you know what they say. I think BMW's up to Program 26.x.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It's beginning to sound like a software problem. I'm taking the car in friday for a scheduled brake fluid change and will let you know what they say. I think BMW's up to Program 26.x.
Yes, 26.X is the latest and also has the new idrive colors and menus. I had a loaner for a day with the latest software, menus seem to be a bit more intuitive.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think this is a software bug. I don't have the cover but not tailgate opening issue, but I do have the either it ignores me or sets off the panic alarm issue.

I think if you hold it about 1.5 secs it will work reliably. It is pretty annoying.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is and always has been a perceptable lag in the tailgate opening.

I now just hold the button down for a very short time and then let go. takes a few millisecs and the tailgate opens. It would be nice if the tailgate started opening as soon or when the button was pressed.

sort of the delay if using an mp3 cd and using the steering wheel controls to advance the tracks

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Thoughts?
2 seconds is the magic number. Too short and it will not open, too long and it sets the alarm off. Press, one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, release.:) I have had this issue since way before CIP 25 - 26 and it's not fixed yet in either release.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts