BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
There are a couple of people here who have it. I am having it installed tomorrow on my bumper, mirrors, headlights, foglights and side skirts.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had it installed yesterday on my front bumper, hood, mirrors, rear bumper luggage area, and top of the front fenders. Looks fantastic and has a great warranty. It is much smoother in appearance than the 3m products I have used in the past.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
No hood / front fenders?
No I'm reluctant to do those, because I have a Xirallic finish car and I worry the film will reduce the brilliance of the finish. My car looks so amazing, I just don't want to diminish that.

Plus the F10 Bumper covers the first 2 inches of the hood which is the part that is most vulnerable. The hood itself is relatively flat. I am also applying 3 coats of CQuartz ceramic coating to the rest of the car for some protection. If I find chips an issue, I will have them repaired with Doctor Colorchip and then put film on the hood at a later time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had it installed yesterday on my front bumper, hood, mirrors, rear bumper luggage area, and top of the front fenders. Looks fantastic and has a great warranty. It is much smoother in appearance than the 3m products I have used in the past.
is this a full hood or partial hood install? if you don't mind saying, how much did it cost?

·
Registered
298 Posts
is this a full hood or partial hood install? if you don't mind saying, how much did it cost?
I got the partial hood...I think it is otherwise known as the "bikini" look. With everything I paid $450. The Xpel has a very thick coat of clearcoat and after a month of setting you hardly notice it over the paint. Since my car is black it would pick up marks from road debris so I definately think it is worth it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the partial hood...I think it is otherwise known as the "bikini" look. With everything I paid $450. The Xpel has a very thick coat of clearcoat and after a month of setting you hardly notice it over the paint. Since my car is black it would pick up marks from road debris so I definately think it is worth it.
Holy smokes!!! That's cheap.

To get the same items done here ... i think this is the rough breakdown based on quotes I've been getting:
partial hood / fenders / mirrors: $350
front bumpers: $450
luggage area: $50

Omigosh, that's almost double!!! Anyone in the NYC area (I can drive out reasonably if necessary) that has done this before and knows a decent installer who's charging a more reasonable rate?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I talked the guy down a bit. I had spoken with some other installers and they were ridiculously high in price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Opinions appreciated.

I'm deciding between Xpel Ultimate and VentureShield Ultra. Xpel Ultimate costs quite a bit more (like 30-40% more) and is quite a bit more hassle to install (scheduling conflicts with preferred installer, separate swirl removal etc). That said, seems like Xpel Ultimate is the better film in terms of post-installation care.

Wondering if its worth the additional effort to go with Xpel Ultimate or just go with the tried & tested VentureShield Ultra route (and a good coat of wax to protect against bugs/droppings)?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Opinions appreciated.

I'm deciding between Xpel Ultimate and VentureShield Ultra. Xpel Ultimate costs quite a bit more (like 30-40% more) and is quite a bit more hassle to install (scheduling conflicts with preferred installer, separate swirl removal etc). That said, seems like Xpel Ultimate is the better film in terms of post-installation care.

Wondering if its worth the additional effort to go with Xpel Ultimate or just go with the tried & tested VentureShield Ultra route (and a good coat of wax to protect against bugs/droppings)?
So far I think the xpel is fantastic and it is very smooth so u really have to look to notice it. Make sure u get a can of Plexus to keep it looking great. Xpel also comes with a 10 year warranty which is great. Not to mention it has self healing qualities when u apply warm water.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Stealth.Pilot - How did your Xpel install go? Are you happy with the product?

My front bumper and hood are still being painted. I get my car back next Wednesday and need to find a good installer in my area to install. There are Xpel dealers listed on their website, but so far no one uses it as their standard. It seems like everyone in my area uses 3M. I was even considering using Opti-Coat 2.0.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Xpel or Opti-Coat dealer in the Charlotte, NC area?

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Stealth.Pilot - How did your Xpel install go? Are you happy with the product?

My front bumper and hood are still being painted. I get my car back next Wednesday and need to find a good installer in my area to install. There are Xpel dealers listed on their website, but so far no one uses it as their standard. It seems like everyone in my area uses 3M. I was even considering using Opti-Coat 2.0.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Xpel or Opti-Coat dealer in the Charlotte, NC area?
It looks very good and is barely noticeable, but it doesn't look as good as bare. Better than other bra though - no orange peel effect, no color distortion. The only issue is it seems to have a slightly different reflective property and less depth than the rest of the car. Based on my experience I am not planning to do the hood. But I am happy with the areas I covered (bumper, lights, mirrors, extended rocker panels).

Also I got some bubbles in there and the owner is telling me it takes 45 days to disappear. I hope so otherwise I will have to find someone to re do it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
45 days...that stinks. Can you deal with the bubbles that long? :)

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
Most of the bubbles in my Xpel film went away, but I did notice some imperfections on the front bumper, some bubbles in the drivers rocker panel, and now some peeling on the front bumper.

They are going to redo it. The installer must have been in a rush the first time around because the edges weren't perfectly aligned either.

Xpel warranty is great though - they are redoing it in a different city with a different installer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
No I'm reluctant to do those, because I have a Xirallic finish car and I worry the film will reduce the brilliance of the finish. My car looks so amazing, I just don't want to diminish that.

Plus the F10 Bumper covers the first 2 inches of the hood which is the part that is most vulnerable. The hood itself is relatively flat. I am also applying 3 coats of CQuartz ceramic coating to the rest of the car for some protection. If I find chips an issue, I will have them repaired with Doctor Colorchip and then put film on the hood at a later time.
IMO if you are going to put it on your hood at all , you might want to consider doing it before any repairs or paint jobs. The reason is because if this product is like the other products in removal then it will have the potential to strip of any chip repairs or paint jobs. If you do it new than you can always remove the film and put a new film on if it is on original paint.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
IMO if you are going to put it on your hood at all , you might want to consider doing it before any repairs or paint jobs. The reason is because if this product is like the other products in removal then it will have the potential to strip of any chip repairs or paint jobs. If you do it new than you can always remove the film and put a new film on if it is on original paint.
I am not going to put it on the hood. It just doesn't look good enough. All these films can't match the sparkle of natural paint with CQuartz.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am not going to put it on the hood. It just doesn't look good enough. All these films can't match the sparkle of natural paint with CQuartz.
I was just responding to you saying that you would put it on the hood if chips became a problem and you would repair it with doctorchip or something like that.
That is why I said if you are going to do that then you might as well do it before that because you won't be able to remove the film and put a new one on since that would damage any touched up paint.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I was just responding to you saying that you would put it on the hood if chips became a problem and you would repair it with doctorchip or something like that.
That is why I said if you are going to do that then you might as well do it before that because you won't be able to remove the film and put a new one on since that would damage any touched up paint.
Covering the hood is a waste of time. It is ruining the appearance of the car to avoid ruining the appearance of the car. I don't put a case on my iPhone for the same reason.

·
Registered
430 Posts

oh boy you are the one that said it and I was just telling you that if you are going to do it or thinking about it then do it with original paint is better than touched up paint.
I wasn't telling you to do it if you don't want to do it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts