BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno: I am looking at a few M5s - one is a 2000, and the other is a 2002. They are both great cars, and seem to be priced about right.

However, other than the different face panels on the nav, I can't tell much difference, and I don't have the original stickers, to see the list of equipment, options, etc.

Can someone direct me to information on what changed from year to year? It must be posted somewhere, but I can seem to find it.

Thanks. Hope to be the proud owner of a "Beast" real soon.

·
Registered
274 Posts
One place to check is: http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18

Also, the best message board for the M5 is: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/ There you will find all you ever can imagine in the E39 M5 section. This topic has many threads on it there, so you may want to do some searching. Definitely join over there and take advantage of the great community we have there.

I'm local to you as are a few other m5board members such as Redshift, so let us know if we can help you out. We're both M5 fanatics.:) Take your time looking for a car and let the right one appear.

In short, the biggest differences were between the 2000 and 2001 models. Also within 2000 models, there was a piston ring change in either 2/00 or 3/00 production month. Check out this thread also: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39915

Chuck

·
Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,347 Posts
If you are looking for a beast.. I would reccomend that you get a 01 or newer. The 01's got the wide screen nav, led brake lights, and the already mentioned piston tweaks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Info

Thanks for the replies.

Chuck, where in NC are you? If you are in the Raleigh area, the 2002 I'm looking at is a White one at International Motors, on Capital. The mileage is kinda high - 97K - but it runs great, and they say they just put a new clutch in it. Its the only white one with carmel interior that I've seen, and it is pretty! They said they would let me take it to a mechanic, so I'm thinking of taking it to Leith BMW for a PPI. Any comments on local mechanics that understand these cars?

Again, thanks for the info, and I'm looking forward to "officially" joining the M5 family.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Richbob said:
Thanks for the replies.

Chuck, where in NC are you? If you are in the Raleigh area, the 2002 I'm looking at is a White one at International Motors, on Capital. The mileage is kinda high - 97K - but it runs great, and they say they just put a new clutch in it. Its the only white one with carmel interior that I've seen, and it is pretty! They said they would let me take it to a mechanic, so I'm thinking of taking it to Leith BMW for a PPI. Any comments on local mechanics that understand these cars?

Again, thanks for the info, and I'm looking forward to "officially" joining the M5 family.
Yep, Raleigh. Definitely take it Leith for a full PPI. Do not buy this car without a full PPI. Mike Colvin is a great service advisor to work with there, and you can ask him to have Rich and their best M5 guys look this car over. Rich, the shop foreman, is very experienced with M5s along with many of their techs. I've had nothing but great experiences dealing with Leith in the past few years.

At that mileage, for the car to "drive like new" it will likely need a few things unless the pervious owner was a fanatic about keeping in 100% condition. There's a reason this car ended up in a used car lot. From a quick look at the Carfax, it appears this car spent its life up north, so one thing to look for is evidence of salt road driving/surface rust/etc underneath. It also appears this dealer bought the car at auction on March 23 with 95,177 miles and then offered it for sale starting May 2. Most likely this car was traded into a dealership and that dealership auctioned it given the mileage. With the VIN and the right connections, finding out what they paid at Manheim is possible.

Not trying to sound too negative here, but just tread carefully.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All Good Advice

Thanks - all good points. I DEFINITELY will not spend $34K without checking it out thoroughly - I don't get to do this often enough to risk screwing it up. Frankly, I was shocked when my wife gave me the go-ahead. I just sold my 944 turbo because she didn't like it; but, when I brought the M5 home to show it to her, she really liked it. I've got a Lexus LS-400 right now, but its just NO FUN. So, I figured the M5, or a 540i 6-speed, was the perfect combination of the Porsche and Lexus.

One question: how would I find out what they paid for it at auction?

Oh, and I'm guessing that the missing month between buying it and putting it on the market was the clutch.

·
2,347 Posts
Richbob said:
Thanks - all good points. I DEFINITELY will not spend $34K without checking it out thoroughly - I don't get to do this often enough to risk screwing it up. Frankly, I was shocked when my wife gave me the go-ahead. I just sold my 944 turbo because she didn't like it; but, when I brought the M5 home to show it to her, she really liked it. I've got a Lexus LS-400 right now, but its just NO FUN. So, I figured the M5, or a 540i 6-speed, was the perfect combination of the Porsche and Lexus.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the missing month between buying it and putting it on the market was the clutch.
If I was looking to spend around 34k I would be looking at 01's with under 50k mileage. There aren't any differences between the 01 and 02 model years. I would rather have a clean low mileage 01 than a high mileage 02.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Richbob said:

I talked with a guy I know who is a big wholesale dealer up in PA, and he can't see data back that far to find out what it sold for. His comment was: "doesn't go back that far but I would estimate that the dearler paid 25-27K for it, no more -- lot of miles on it; for a few bucks more he can get a 40-50K car"

Here's a thread that has Manheim auction price ranges for 2001 and 2003 models for a week back in June FWIW: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75618

I know nothing of this particular car, but you could probably find a nice 2001 with 1/2 the miles for not much more.

On a side note: One item of interest about 2002 models is that almost none of them have rear air bags (side and head) since for that model year only, you had to specify them on the order sheet (no-cost option). All 2001 and 2003 models have the rear side and rear head airbags. That is the main difference between 2001 and 2002 models. You can tell if a 2002 has them by looking at the rearmost part of the back door inside panel where AIRBAG will be embossed in the material just like on the front doors. Also, up by the c-pillar reading light, HPS will be embobossed in the material. FWIW, the 2000 models all have rear airbags but only the door airbags (no head protection air bags in the rear on 2000's). I don't know how important this may or may not be to you, but I just thought I would throw that out there FYI.

·
2,347 Posts
:angel:

*******>********>
*******>********>
VIN Decoder (first 10 digits): Printable Version Help

V 4.1.3
*******> ********>
Description *******>********>
*******>********>
Year Select Year 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1997 1996 1995 1994 1993 1992 1991 1990 1989 1988 1987 1986 1985 1984 1983 1982 1981
Make Select Make ACURA ASTON MARTIN AUDI B M W BENTLEY BUICK CADILLAC CHEVROLET CHRYSLER DAEWOO DODGE FERRARI FORD GEM GMC HARLEY DAVIDSON HONDA HUMMER HYUNDAI INFINITI ISUZU JAGUAR JEEP KIA LAMBORGHINI LAND ROVER LEXUS LINCOLN LOTUS MASERATI MAZDA MERCEDES-BENZ MERCURY MINI MITSUBISHI NISSAN OLDSMOBILE PANOZ PONTIAC PORSCHE ROLLS-ROYCE SAAB SATURN SUBARU SUZUKI TOYOTA VOLKSWAGEN VOLVO
Model Select Model M SERIES X SERIES Z SERIES 3 SERIES 5 SERIES 7 SERIES
Style Select Style M COUPE M ROADSTER M3 2D CONVERTIBLE 6SP M3 2D COUPE 6SP M5 4D SEDAN
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
Options *******>********>
*******>********>
Select Region National South East North East Mid West South West West Coast
Seasonal Adjustment No Yes
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******>********>
*******>********>
Auction Averages
*******>********>
*******>********>
For Week Ending Jul 26
AboveAverageBelow May 2006Jan 2006Jul 2005
Sale Price $38,199$33,590$28,981 $35,833$38,815$41,121
Mileage 30,82649,96469,102 38,36638,90639,025
Total Sold All
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******>********>
Average Auction Mileage
*******> ********>
*******>********>
*******>********>
*******>********>
Prices are based on more transactions than shown under 'Transactions', above.
*******> ********>
*******>********>
Jul 31 - Aug 07 2006
AboveAverageBelow Aug 2006 Jul 2007
Auction $36,500$33,500$30,500 $32,700 $28,000
Est. Retail $39,900$36,600$33,400 $35,800 $30,700
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******> ********>
*******>********>
Copyright © 1996-2006 Manheim Auctions V 4.1.3
*******> ********>